How to check for floor rust???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to check for floor rust???

We've been looking for a '53 or '54 coupe for some time now. On a couple of cars that I've found I've asked the owners if they have looked under the carpets to check for how solid the floors are, especially on the front floors. They have both sounded a little put off by the request and say that they have looked under the car and the floors seem fine from the outside. Am I being unreasonable to request this or can floor condition be determined from the outside? I just get nervous spending the kind of money these cars bring and want to ask the right questions first.

Thanks for your input!!

Rob

If the person is a legitimate salesperson, and is representing a good product, than he should be happy to show you the floors, front, back, and trunk. Look before you leap.

Comment

With enough light, one can get a good look at the floor condition from underneath but undercoating could hide some soft spots. Poke around with a hammer handle to check for firmness. With that said, I'd still rather look at it from up above.

Love birds...Red Hawks in mating season.
      In the middle of Minnestudea
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

If these vehicles are on online source, ask if someone here is close to the seller. Often, one of us can take a firsthand look at something.
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

The top side is the best way to check the floors,"no two ways about it" if the bottom side is showing rust issues,then I'd want to look further up the cowl and etc!

Joseph R. Zeiger
          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I'm neither a body man nor a mechanic, but I can tell you that the best way to check floor rust is from the top. The '64 I bought, supposedly from a "body man" to boot, was advertised as "the surface rust shown (from pulling carpet back two inches on driver's floor) looks worse than it is". After I bought the car and got it home, I noticed that the carpet was glued down. I gently pulled it back on the driver's side, and...hooboy. Another place to look is to pull the upholstered kick panel off (usually attached with three screws and only takes a couple minutes to remove and reinstall).

Anyone who acts 'put off' by your asking these very legitimate questions, IMHO has something to hide or isn't very car-savvy at all.

Bill Pressler
            Kent, OH
            '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1 (sold new by Cordell Motors, Moorhead, MN)
            '64 Daytona Hardtop (sold new by Carl E. Filer Co., Greenville, PA)

Bill Pressler
            Kent, OH
            (formerly Greenville, PA)
            Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
            Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
            1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
            1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
            All are in Australia now

Comment

Rob, Are you looking for a driver or show car or perhaps a project to build to your own specs? I've got 2 54 Coupes and a 54 Hardtop in my barn right now. They're all project cars, but I would be glad to check the floors for you before I ship all three of them to Wyoming.... What'dyasay????

sals54
              sigpicsals54

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Both cars are out of state so verification ahead of time is difficult. One is on eBay now and I was unable to find anyone in the Boise/Meridian, ID area to check it out. Without positive verification it makes me very nervous to bid on it. The current owner "thinks" the floors are solid due to no apparent rust from below and that the car was restored by a reputable body man.

Rob

Comment

Forget about it. The carpets in those cars were just laying on the floor. There's nothing easier than peeling them back to see the floor. If the seller won't accommodate this, then walk away..

Bob Johnstone
                  www.studebaker-info.org

64 GT Hawk
                  55 President State Sedan
                  70 Avanti (R3)
                  64 GT Hawk (K7)
                  1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Even my car, a Georgia native had rusted out front floors, so make sure that you see proof for yourself. Also check the trunk corner body mounts as mine were also swiss cheese.

Alex Nelsen, 15 year old Studebaker nut.
                    1954 Champion Coupe
                    Lizella, GA
                    Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
                    Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
                    Lizella, GA

Comment

If the car owner cant come out and answer the question with a straight answer of " solid floor pan" then he is hiding something.

Tom

sigpic

Comment

Go with the idea there is rust. There are other areas where rust is
                        more of a problem Under rear side windows, corners of trunk , where
                        fenders mount to body on the door pillars. In some cases you would
                        be happy with floor rust. If they are on line and there are photos look
                        at the doors fit. Check window fit if windows are up. All telltale
                        signs there is floor rust. Floor rust is an easy fix. It is the sub floor
                        boxes that are a bear.

Comment

That is what I thought. The first thing on every Stude I've ever bought was check out the floors by looking under the carpet. I really can't understand any Stude person who isn't willing to do this.

Sal, I'm looking for a nice driver. I have too many project cars as it is and don't really want another. It doesn't need to be original or stock, can be slightly modified. Just want a nice driver for the summer. I would like a nice verifiable solid body. Some mechanical would be OK. I just know that if you can't do your own body work that the $$$$'s can pile up quickly.

Thanks everyone for your input!!

Rob

Comment

Whenever someone tells me that a car has rust-free floors, I jokingly say it must not be a Studebaker. The Studebaker seems to suffer from floor rust worse than most cars I've seen. Thankfully, we have excellent sources for floors. This seller doesn't want to tell you something and therefore doesn't want to sell the car.[}][)]

Do yourself a favour; walk away and don't look back.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

One of the cars Rob is talking about is the 54 green coupe I have, some of you people make it sound as there is nothing to pulling up good carpet, the right way is to remove the seat and then the carpet, when your 68 years old some times that is a big deal, I have told Rob I did not plan on removing every thing to see from the top as I can see from under side and have reported what I have seen to him, but when spending this kind of money I understand the concern, I will do it for him and send him some pictures , just need to get some help with the seat,..Bob

Candbstudebakers
                              Castro Valley,
                              California

Candbstudebakers
                              Castro Valley,
                              California

Comment

Working...
                              X