• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1940 President Touring Car; Coachwork by Derham

Anybody seen this car lately? Sure wish I had:

Thanks again to aldenjewell at Flickr dot com

Keoni Dibelka / HiloFoto
    In Hawai'i; on Hawai'i; on the Windward Side
    If da salt air never chew 'em up bumbye da lava will...

This was one of two parade cars Studebaker displayed at the New York Worlds Fair in the Fall of 1940 (just before it closed). Afterword they were driven to South Bend and used for several years as courtesy cars for chauffeuring dignitaries (Ronald Reagan once rode in one of them). The cars were painted gold and did not have a workable folding top. Note too that they had a 1941 rear section grafted onto the '40 President body. I know one was sold/given to an employee under the condition that it never be resold. Both were eventually cut up. I have several photos of them one of which is shown above. Another photo was used in the recent (June) issue of Collectible Automobile. I have also written about these cars in The Antique Studebaker Review and Turning Wheels. In the photo above the 3rd car in the procession is an actual production '39 President Convertible Sedan that has had 1940 grilles and headlamps retrofitted.The building in the background is the Studebaker Administration Building. The photo taken in 1942 publicizing a WWII scrap drive.

Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Mister Quinn, you never cease to amaze me. Now I remember seeing the Ronald Reagan picture a few weeks ago but the connection didn't register when I saw aldenjewell's picture of the car in plan view.

Many thanks again.

Keoni Dibelka / HiloFoto
      In Hawai'i; on Hawai'i; on the Windward Side
      If da salt air never chew 'em up bumbye da lava will...

Comment

I have a friend who worships Ronald Reagan. If anyone has a photo of him with a Studebaker please post it.
        Lou Van Anne
        62 Champ
        64 R2 GT Hawk
        79 Avanti II

Comment

Hi

Love the looks of those '40 President touring cars, they look like a '40 President convertible sedan would with the top down. My understanding is Derham created no folding tops for them.

The downside of them must have been driving one when a sudden rain storm appeared. I wonder what they did at the New York World's Fair on rainy days when they needed to use them, a nice President sedan, I suppose.

I see hardtops with the roof removed advertised on eBay as "custom convertibles" but later they admit the custom has no folding top.

Well, it ain't a convertible if it has nothing to convert!

Steve

Comment

Working...
          X