This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Ford going the way of Studebaker?

Besides this forum one of my other favorites on the internet is TheTruthAboutCars.com, where the fortunes of Ford Motor Company and General Motors have been active fodder for pundits and enthusiasts who post as we do here on this forum. Ford in particular has been the subject of intense scrutiny as its future as a full line automaker seems to now hang in the balance. Ford's biggest problems are (1) Labor (2) Aging product line and (3)Money. Do these three problems sound at all familiar Studebaker people? In 2006 Ford had not taken a hard strike in a generation. In 1963 Studebaker hadn't either. In 2006 Ford lots are full of aging Crown Vics, unsalable SUVs and woebegone Focuses. In 1963 dealer lots and Studebaker inventory were plum full of unsold and presumably unloved Larks, Hawks and aging trucks. Then there's the money thing...without sufficient funds new product development lagged. Studebaker in 1963 had cars whose underpinnings dated to 1953 and earlier. In 2006 Ford isn't doing much better. Many parts of the Crown Vic go waaaaay back to the big downsizing of LTD in 1979!! In 1963 workers rubbed their eyes in disbelief. Never, they thought, could something as big as Studebaker call it quits in South Bend. I'm afraid workers and even auto pundits in 2006 aren't thinking the same thing about Ford.

Will Fords someday soon join the ranks of Studebakers at local Orphan Car Shows?

Studedude1961
    --1963 Cruiser

You forget Ford includes; Volvo, Jaguar, Mitsubishi, etc...

Unlike Studebaker, Ford's problems aren't critical.

Though, it would be poetic justice to see the murderer of Detroit's company go belly up.[}]

Lotsa Larks!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

You forget Ford includes; Volvo, Jaguar, Mitsubishi, etc...

Unlike Studebaker, Ford's problems aren't critical.

Though, it would be poetic justice to see the murderer of Detroit's company go belly up.[}]

Lotsa Larks!
      Ron Smith
      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I think you mean Mazda, not Mitsubishi.

Dan White
        64 R1 GT
        64 R2 GT
        Dan White
        64 R1 GT
        64 R2 GT
        58 C Cab
        57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

I think you mean Mazda, not Mitsubishi.

Dan White
          64 R1 GT
          64 R2 GT
          Dan White
          64 R1 GT
          64 R2 GT
          58 C Cab
          57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Lobor got too much in benefits, retirement, medical, being laid off and paid for a year,etc. Management caved in to avoid closure years ago; gave labor the 'cream' year after year and management took its share also. Everyone was happy, well retirement benefits,and medical benefits are breaking the company when sales start downward. Why they rode F150 and SUV as the life only and avoided an excellent small car I have never understood. But, Studebaker and Kasier Frazer went, too much over head for the volume of sales and no new products the public wanted.

Comment

Lobor got too much in benefits, retirement, medical, being laid off and paid for a year,etc. Management caved in to avoid closure years ago; gave labor the 'cream' year after year and management took its share also. Everyone was happy, well retirement benefits,and medical benefits are breaking the company when sales start downward. Why they rode F150 and SUV as the life only and avoided an excellent small car I have never understood. But, Studebaker and Kasier Frazer went, too much over head for the volume of sales and no new products the public wanted.

Comment

Hi
                They are reaping the harvest of legacy cost, one of those legacies selling too many cars with operational problems such as the '90's Taurus with transmissions failing under 100K miles, of Windstars with unsolvable electrical problems, of Explorers and Windstars with serious body rust. And the poor service and deceptive practices of too many dealers when ask to fix those problems.
                Remember, once a customer is dissatisfied with a make of car and buys another make that turns out to be very satisfactory, no amount of good styling or discount price will make them return.
                Steve

Comment

Hi
                  They are reaping the harvest of legacy cost, one of those legacies selling too many cars with operational problems such as the '90's Taurus with transmissions failing under 100K miles, of Windstars with unsolvable electrical problems, of Explorers and Windstars with serious body rust. And the poor service and deceptive practices of too many dealers when ask to fix those problems.
                  Remember, once a customer is dissatisfied with a make of car and buys another make that turns out to be very satisfactory, no amount of good styling or discount price will make them return.
                  Steve

Comment

Ford in particular has been the subject of intense scrutiny as its future as a full line automaker seems to now hang in the balance.

I'm inclined to think Ford (and GM) are going the way of White, Reo and Isuzu more than Studebaker. Ford and GM will survive as makers of commercial vehicles and SUV's only. Right now, Ford (and GM) look as passenger cars as a money losing necessary evil. White, Reo and Isuzu found they only were able to make money on trucks, and lost money on cars.

Craig

Comment

Ford in particular has been the subject of intense scrutiny as its future as a full line automaker seems to now hang in the balance.

I'm inclined to think Ford (and GM) are going the way of White, Reo and Isuzu more than Studebaker. Ford and GM will survive as makers of commercial vehicles and SUV's only. Right now, Ford (and GM) look as passenger cars as a money losing necessary evil. White, Reo and Isuzu found they only were able to make money on trucks, and lost money on cars.

Craig

Comment

This has also been said of Chrysler, Nissan, BMW, etc....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Michigan Speed - www.michiganspeed.com
                        Club Hot Rod - www.clubhotrod.com
                        LS1 Tech - www.ls1tech.com
                        Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

This has also been said of Chrysler, Nissan, BMW, etc....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Michigan Speed - www.michiganspeed.com
                          Club Hot Rod - www.clubhotrod.com
                          LS1 Tech - www.ls1tech.com
                          Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

And Volvo Trucks bought White Trucks by taking over the debts, which weren't small, as I recall.
                            /H

Comment

And Volvo Trucks bought White Trucks by taking over the debts, which weren't small, as I recall.
                              /H

Comment

Working...
                              X