What year is this truck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What year is this truck?

It is a M5-13 model w/serial #45282. Looking to possibly restore (it's gonna need a lot of work) but I don't even know the year to get started.

Someone else will chime in with more details, but M series trucks were built from 1941 to 1948, with a break for WW2 of course.

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    "Star Performers with Saving Ways!"

Vancouver Island Chapter
    http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander
    Zone Coordinator
    Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Is there a picture? Where are you and what parts do you need?
      Good Roads
      Brian

Brian Woods
      woodysrods@shaw.ca
      1946 M Series (Shop Truck)
      Brian Woods
      woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

I don't have a picture at this time. It's in pretty rough shape. Really all I have is the frame, cab & wheels. I did find some rear fenders but need front fenders. Doubt that the motor will run as it's been sitting outside for the past 3-4 yrs uncovered.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by geewillackers

I don't have a picture at this time. It's in pretty rough shape. Really all I have is the frame, cab & wheels. I did find some rear fenders but need front fenders. Doubt that the motor will run as it's been sitting outside for the past 3-4 yrs uncovered.
          Fronts and rears will are the same, but not easy to find in good shape. I sold a similar, but running truck for $1000 last year, and it had 4 decent fenders, so watch your restoration budget.

JDP Maryland
          JDP Maryland

Comment

Front & rear fenders are the same? That's cool!
            Thanks for the budget tip JDP.

Comment

Don't get too excited . Good fenders are still hard to come by. Be careful not to get M15 or M20 fenders. the wheel openings are much larger. Hope you have a good center grill. They are extra hard to find.
              Good Roads
              Brian

Brian Woods
              woodysrods@shaw.ca
              Brian Woods
              woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

Front & rear fenders are the same? That's cool!
                Thanks for the budget tip JDP.
                Right front is left rear and so on, as I recall.

JDP Maryland
                JDP Maryland

Comment

It is a M5-13 model w/serial #45282. Looking to possibly restore (it's gonna need a lot of work) but I don't even know the year to get started.
                  &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Hello geewillackers. Allow me to do the numbers game with you.

[u]Model M5-13</u>
                  M.....code for the M series Studebaker trucks built for model years 1941 through 1948 (expect WWII years 1943-1944)
                  5......indicates a truck rated at a nominal 1/2 ton with a standard 170 cubic inch, flathead, side valve, six cylinder engine
                  13....indicates the wheelbase of the chassis measured from the centerof the front axle to the center of the rear axle. In this case, your truck has a wheelbase of 113 inches.

Serial (chassis) number- M5-45282
                  M.....same as above
                  5......same as above
                  45282.the order or sequence this M5 truck came off the assembly line since the first M5 in 1941 (serial number M5-001). Your truck was the 45,282nd M5 built. This number was assigned to the 1948 model year. The first 1948 was serial number M5-42430 and the last one was serial number M5-52682.

If you have other questions about your truck, just ask. Someone on this site will have an answer for you. Best wishes and keep us up-to-date on your truck. Post some pics if you will.

Frank Drumheller
                  Louisa, VA
                  60S-W6
                  1948 M16-52 Boyer-bodied fire truck

Comment

Frank, thank you so much for that insightful info. We thought that it is a 1948 but wanted to know for sure. Thanks for the confirmation.

Brian - since my post yesterday I believe we have located the 2 front fenders needed since we now know that they are interchangable w/the rear. Still need to locate a front clip.

Rhonda

Comment

I have some choice NOS panels and stuff you may be interested in. Drop me a note. Bo
                      Bo

Comment

Working...
                      X