Belated pic of my Stude...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belated pic of my Stude...

Here's a pic I promised finally, back when I first joined the forum. There's more to be seen at http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e4...ck/Studebaker/.

She needs a bit of work, but to me this is a decent project. Just a couple more questions while I wait for weather to begin doing something other than measurements and wishful thinking.

First, there's two vent doors on the front fenders. I cannot see if they lead inside the car for ventilation, or what. Do these have some sort of mechanism for opening them, or are they something else entirely? I've been assuming they are for interior ventilation, but I'm not sure, as I can't find any ductwork or anything.

Second, how much do new repro floor pans run? I found some, and I'm waiting on a price, but I was wondering what they run if they're avaliable. All I need is the front driver and passenger side pans, the rear floor pan is actually solid, as is the driveline tunnel.

Eternally waiting for good weather...

Guard: Where are you going in such a hurry?
    Gorrak the ranger: Uhhh...Gorrak have quiche in oven!!
    Guard: well hurry along.

1953 Champion 2 door Sedan
    2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS Coupe

The vent doors ARE for the interior. Down on the kick panels, there's interior doors and on the left side - a loop-shaped handle that should work the outside vent door. There's a vent door on the right kick panel as well, but the handle for ther outer door should be mounted along the lower edge of the dash - to the right of where the radio goes.
    The right vent door can simply vent into the cabin OR provide outside air to the underfloor heater if your car has one. They were optional back then![:0] Floor pans are available from Classic Ent.. A pair of floor pans is $480

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The vent doors ARE for the interior. Down on the kick panels, there's interior doors and on the left side - a loop-shaped handle that should work the outside vent door. There's a vent door on the right kick panel as well, but the handle for ther outer door should be mounted along the lower edge of the dash - to the right of where the radio goes.
      The right vent door can simply vent into the cabin OR provide outside air to the underfloor heater if your car has one. They were optional back then![:0] Floor pans are available from Classic Ent.. A pair of floor pans is $480

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Hey! It's a tri-star! Kewell![8D] There are a very limited number of cars bearing the tri-star emblem that your car sports. That's because Mercedes objected to it.

Lotsa Larks!
        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Hey! It's a tri-star! Kewell![8D] There are a very limited number of cars bearing the tri-star emblem that your car sports. That's because Mercedes objected to it.

Lotsa Larks!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
          Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studeclunker

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3]Hey! It's a tri-star! Kewell![8D] There are a very limited number of cars bearing the tri-star emblem that your car sports. That's because Mercedes objected to it.
            Most of the 1953 model year production in South Bend had the tri-star trim and, I believe, all of the 1953 production in Vernon (CA) had the tri-star trim, so it is not that limited.

Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studeclunker

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3]Hey! It's a tri-star! Kewell![8D] There are a very limited number of cars bearing the tri-star emblem that your car sports. That's because Mercedes objected to it.
              Most of the 1953 model year production in South Bend had the tri-star trim and, I believe, all of the 1953 production in Vernon (CA) had the tri-star trim, so it is not that limited.

Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

My '53 is a tri-star car. It's final assembly date is July 07, 1953 my 3rd birthday. It is a South Bend car. I always hear about early '53's but July seems late in the model year to me.

Gary Sanders
                Nixa, MO
                President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
                Gary Sanders
                Nixa, MO

Comment

My '53 is a tri-star car. It's final assembly date is July 07, 1953 my 3rd birthday. It is a South Bend car. I always hear about early '53's but July seems late in the model year to me.

Gary Sanders
                  Nixa, MO
                  President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
                  Gary Sanders
                  Nixa, MO

Comment

Don,
                    You're obviously planning on tackling much of this work yourself and that's a good thing. I applaud you.

Do yourself a big favor and procure the Chassis catalog, Body catalog and Shop Manual. You will enjoy them page by page as you would a favorite old novel. If you do have others work on it, they will appreciate your reference.

Here's the link to Classic Enterprises panels for 53 sedans.

http://classicent.com/sedans_wagons_53_58.php

Give us more wassup when you can.

Brad Johnson
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    33 Rockne 10
                    51 commander Starlight
                    53 Commander Starlight
                    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Don,
                      You're obviously planning on tackling much of this work yourself and that's a good thing. I applaud you.

Do yourself a big favor and procure the Chassis catalog, Body catalog and Shop Manual. You will enjoy them page by page as you would a favorite old novel. If you do have others work on it, they will appreciate your reference.

Here's the link to Classic Enterprises panels for 53 sedans.

http://classicent.com/sedans_wagons_53_58.php

Give us more wassup when you can.

Brad Johnson
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      33 Rockne 10
                      51 commander Starlight
                      53 Commander Starlight
                      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Pine Grove Mills, Pa.

Comment

Thanks, I had no idea that the emblem on the front was anything special. So it's, at the least, a '53-only decal then?

I'm planning on tackling everything but the transmission. I despise even looking at transmissions after having dropped an A500 three times straight before giving up and sending the truck to a shop to have it rebuilt. Which it then promptly burned up because the shop failed to actually change the seals, and the fluid drained out. I no longer have any desire to even touch a transmission, much less try and work on it. I want a slushbox even less.

My wife bought me the shop manual for Saint Valentine's day, so that's covered, and the body and chassis manuals are up next, when I find them on either Evilbay or Amazon. Hopefully cheap, since I may be buying the floor pans if I can get in touch with the guy soon enough. Which will kill my spending money until middle of summer. In the meantime, I'm making an attempt at memorizing the shop manual.

A couple more unending questions to come later, when I get things more sorted, and get the car moved to it's more permanent place to be worked on. Thanks again.

Comment

Thanks, I had no idea that the emblem on the front was anything special. So it's, at the least, a '53-only decal then?

I'm planning on tackling everything but the transmission. I despise even looking at transmissions after having dropped an A500 three times straight before giving up and sending the truck to a shop to have it rebuilt. Which it then promptly burned up because the shop failed to actually change the seals, and the fluid drained out. I no longer have any desire to even touch a transmission, much less try and work on it. I want a slushbox even less.

My wife bought me the shop manual for Saint Valentine's day, so that's covered, and the body and chassis manuals are up next, when I find them on either Evilbay or Amazon. Hopefully cheap, since I may be buying the floor pans if I can get in touch with the guy soon enough. Which will kill my spending money until middle of summer. In the meantime, I'm making an attempt at memorizing the shop manual.

A couple more unending questions to come later, when I get things more sorted, and get the car moved to it's more permanent place to be worked on. Thanks again.

Comment

The Tri-star was used on the hood, rear deck lid, wheel covers and horn button until Studebaker agreed to phase it out to appease Daimler-Benz. Studebaker was the Benz distributor for North America. The Tri-star persisted for some time on the lid of the rear ashtray in the C/K models.

Pine Grove Mills, Pa.

Comment

The Tri-star was used on the hood, rear deck lid, wheel covers and horn button until Studebaker agreed to phase it out to appease Daimler-Benz. Studebaker was the Benz distributor for North America. The Tri-star persisted for some time on the lid of the rear ashtray in the C/K models.

Pine Grove Mills, Pa.

Comment

Working...
                              X