Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Golden Hawk 400 ideas. Clone? Engineering?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dylan, a little excited enthusiasm is good for this place. Bring it on with no apologies necessary!

Jim
    Often in error, never in doubt

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________Rabid Snail Racing
    Jim
    Often in error, never in doubt
    http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Cool! I'm really excited to see what comes of this. Even if it does turn out to be a clone, it has be a blast on this search.

BTW, I forgot to mention something. When the current owner contacted the daughter of the original owners, she told him she remembered the car; just didn't have any pictures. Now, it sounds like she remembered it WITH the leather interior, so if that is true, it could be forwarding Craigs theory. Until she returns my attempt at making contact, we shall see. [8D]

Dylan Wills
      Everett, Wa.

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
      Dylan Wills
      Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
      1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
      1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
      1914 Ford Model T

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

It would not be the first time we heard of the Factory workers having their "Buds" add a few options to their own cars that just MAY have been FORGOTTEN on the Production Order and Invoice! [^]

Leather Interior in Interior Dept. employee's car huh! ...Hmm []

StudeRich
        My next door neighbor worked at Studebaker and walked the line while his car was being built and had every option under the sun added by his buddies even though they did not show up on the build sheet.
        Since I just worked at the plant that made Studebaker bumpers, the best I could do was get anything that fit in the chrome tank plated for free. (Ever seen a chrome lug wrench ?)

JDP Maryland
        JDP Maryland

Comment

Hahaha! Thats good! And no, but I want to!!

Dylan Wills
          Everett, Wa.

Dylan Wills
          Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
          1914 Ford Model T

Comment

H. V. Husvar was the head of the trim engineering. I believe there was another Husvar in this department that being J. M. I know of no Ann Husvar though there may have been one.

Generally when a vehicle was special ordered or required some non standard equipment, (which could not be installed on the production line), it was sent to engineering for installation or possibly inspection, evaluation and photographing. It is entirely possible that the car in question was sent to engineering to have the "400" type trim installed for an evaluation of the fit and appropriateness.

Therefore, while this car may have been special ordered by someone in the Husvar family it is more likely, I believe, that it was sent to engineering for some experimental trim (i.e. upholstery). In these cases the p.o. would delineate the individual in engineering to whom the vehicle was to be sent, be it the head of a particular department or the person who had made the request. Is it possible the name Ann was copied incorrectly or misunderstood? Is the production order a copy of the original or a retyped version?

When a production vehicle was targeted for particular individual the p.o. would usually read, "Tag - Ann Husvar" (or whoever).

Richard Quinn
            Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review
            Richard Quinn
            Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Wow! Thanks for the response Mr.Quinn! Here is what I know of the Husvar family: kinda confusing really; but I was told it was a Joe Husvar that worked with interior stuff there. I'm not sure what yet, I'm waiting for a response from the couples daughter on the connection. With it being a earlier G.H, it sounds like what you say could be exactly what happened. Just to clarify it in my mind; what you are saying this car could have been a styling study or something, and what was learned from this car became the 400 series; correct? How could we confirm that is what this is? Here is the P.O. if it helps any.

Dylan Wills
              Everett, Wa.

Dylan Wills
              Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
              1914 Ford Model T

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel

H. V. Husvar was the head of the trim engineering. I believe there was another Husvar in this department that being J. M. I know of no Ann Husvar though there may have been one.

Generally when a vehicle was special ordered or required some non standard equipment, (which could not be installed on the production line), it was sent to engineering for installation or possibly inspection, evaluation and photographing. It is entirely possible that the car in question was sent to engineering to have the "400" type trim installed for an evaluation of the fit and appropriateness.

Therefore, while this car may have been special ordered by someone in the Husvar family it is more likely, I believe, that it was sent to engineering for some experimental trim (i.e. upholstery). In these cases the p.o. would delineate the individual in engineering to whom the vehicle was to be sent, be it the head of a particular department or the person who had made the request. Is it possible the name Ann was copied incorrectly or misunderstood? Is the production order a copy of the original or a retyped version?

When a production vehicle was targeted for particular individual the p.o. would usually read, "Tag - Ann Husvar" (or whoever).
                Dylan forwarded it to me, and is the older transcript version of the production order:

It is interesting how it shows both 'destination' and 'ship via' as "Engineering". This is one reason I hope Dylan keeps on investigating this car to see if the interior is indeed an engineering prototype for evaluation for the 400 model.

Craig

Comment

Thanks Craig, I was having a hard time getting a bigger view up.

Dylan Wills
                  Everett, Wa.

Dylan Wills
                  Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                  1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Ann Husvar could easily have been his wife. And with H. V. Husver being a trim engineer, it would not have been out of line for him to get a personal opinion from his Missus on a rather elegant for the period white leather interior; especially when it was to be seen by thousands at the auto shows. It will be interesting to see what becomes of this.

Craig

Comment

Searching out a car's story is sometimes more interesting than the car itself. Keep it up Dylan. You're on the right track and I'm anxious to see what you discover.

Comment

Thats a idea Craig; never would have thought of that. Thanks!

quote:Originally posted by 8E45E

Ann Husvar could easily have been his wife. And with H. V. Husver being a trim engineer, it would not have been out of line for him to get a personal opinion from his Missus on a rather elegant for the period white leather interior; especially when it was to be seen by thousands at the auto shows. It will be interesting to see what becomes of this.

Craig
                        Yes it is Matt, and thanks for the encouragement![8D]

Dylan Wills
                        Everett, Wa.

Dylan Wills
                        Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                        1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Re. Destination
                          ENG DEPT ANN J HUSVAR I'm inclined to read that as a typo that should have read "ATTN J HUSVAR" I've certainly seen typos in my years of going through Production Orders and Shippers.
                          R2Andrea

Comment

The seat pattern is this one is slightly different from "regular" 400's too!!

Craig
                            Last edited by 8E45E; 05-20-2010, 09:43 PM.

Comment

R2Andy, that makes much more sense to me, since the guy who originally owned it worked for Studebaker, not his wife or anything. (No, don't know her name )

Thanks for posting the pics Craig!
                              Dylan Wills
                              Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                              1914 Ford Model T

Comment

It's all Craigs fault. I'd lost track of the thread before you posted the PO. Craig brought it up while we were IMing. So blame him for dragging me into this.

See Craig? I told you I'd blame this on you.
                                R2Andrea

Comment

Working...
                                X