Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wheels are back, now paint. (pics)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wheels are back, now paint. (pics)


    Well, I got my rims back from the sand blaster today. They came back very nice. Hey, I had some wheels under all the rust and grease![)] I cleaned them with some prep all and shot them with their first coat of primer, and they get painted black first thing in the morning. They are in primer in the pic.

    Chris Dresbach. South Bend, In.

    1940 Champion two door.
    Parts of the 1952 Model N prototype.
    1963 Prototype moon cart built by Studebaker.
    Chris Dresbach

  • #2
    Oh, and the tires go on them tomorrow, and they go back on the car.

    Chris Dresbach. South Bend, In.

    1940 Champion two door.
    Parts of the 1952 Model N prototype.
    1963 Prototype moon cart built by Studebaker.
    Chris Dresbach

    Comment


    • #3
      Fresh parts are fun, aren't they?

      [img=left]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_SuHaRG4eFas/SevU9Pcl-jI/AAAAAAAACJs/cRB5QokGtEs/s288/DSC01155.JPG[/img=left]
      David King

      1964 Studebaker Commander
      1958 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham (615)
      1966 Pontiac GTO convertible

      SDC Member#: A011937K
      sigpic

      David King

      1964 Studebaker Commander
      1958 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham (615)
      1959 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham (56)
      1960 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham (83)
      1966 Pontiac GTO convertible

      SDC Member#: A011937K

      Comment


      • #4
        Whoa, you're painting them in the morning and mounting the tires the same day? I hope you like having fingerprints embedded in your paint. [:0] You might be better off mounting the tires first and then painting the wheels to avoid damaging the fresh uncured paint. The tires can either be masked from the spray paint or paint thinner on a rag will remove any fresh paint from the tires.

        Mr. Quinn mentioned that these originally had dual white stripes painted on them. You may be able to find vinyl pinstripping tape that will match the original stripes. Any place that sells automotive paint should have catalogs of available pinstripe tape that can be ordered. Good luck!


        Love birds...Red Hawks in mating season.
        In the middle of Minnestudea
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

        Comment


        • #5
          better yet, I have access to a wheel striping machine.


          http://s239.photobucket.com/albums/ff198/Da_Tinman/

          http://www.datinmanjay.com
          http://datinmanspeaks.blogspot.com/

          Comment


          • #6
            I would mount the tires, just dont inflate them to seat the beads. Mask them off, paint and let dry then inflate. Damage free!

            Tom

            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              quote:Originally posted by Milaca

              Whoa, you're painting them in the morning and mounting the tires the same day? I hope you like having fingerprints embedded in your paint. [:0] You might be better off mounting the tires first and then painting the wheels to avoid damaging the fresh uncured paint. The tires can either be masked from the spray paint or paint thinner on a rag will remove any fresh paint from the tires.

              Mr. Quinn mentioned that these originally had dual white stripes painted on them. You may be able to find vinyl pinstripping tape that will match the original stripes. Any place that sells automotive paint should have catalogs of available pinstripe tape that can be ordered. Good luck!


              Love birds...Red Hawks in mating season.
              In the middle of Minnestudea
              Wheels will be painted at about 7am, but won't actually get tires until about 3-4pm. So they should have plenty of time to dry. Becides that, it's spray paint and it's fast dry.[]

              Chris Dresbach. South Bend, In.

              1940 Champion two door.
              Parts of the 1952 Model N prototype.
              1963 Prototype moon cart built by Studebaker.
              Chris Dresbach

              Comment


              • #8
                quote:Originally posted by Da Tinman

                better yet, I have access to a wheel striping machine.


                http://s239.photobucket.com/albums/ff198/Da_Tinman/

                http://www.datinmanjay.com
                Email sent.
                Chris Dresbach

                Comment


                • #9
                  Chris- did you check the wheels extremely closely for cracks? That's another of the lovable Stude "quirks"- wheels that fatigue and crack, then break and potentially fly off.

                  At least that's the case with newer ones- maybe it doesn't apply to the older ones? I'm sure someone will know more.

                  Thanks for keeping us posted- love your interest and enthusiasm- and that you're actually doing things[^]

                  Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                  Parish, central NY 13131

                  GOD BLESS AMERICA
                  Ephesians 6:10-17





                  Comment


                  • #10
                    quote:Originally posted by bams50

                    Chris- did you check the wheels extremely closely for cracks? That's another of the lovable Stude "quirks"- wheels that fatigue and crack, then break and potentially fly off.

                    At least that's the case with newer ones- maybe it doesn't apply to the older ones? I'm sure someone will know more.

                    Thanks for keeping us posted- love your interest and enthusiasm- and that you're actually doing things[^]

                    Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                    Parish, central NY 13131

                    GOD BLESS AMERICA
                    Ephesians 6:10-17





                    No cracks! One rim just had a little bend in it at the bead. Everything else is really good on them. They just need some new hub cap clips, but Ill probably get those from Ed.[8D]

                    Chris Dresbach. South Bend, In.

                    1940 Champion two door.
                    Parts of the 1952 Model N prototype.
                    1963 Prototype moon cart built by Studebaker.
                    Chris Dresbach

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X