Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From the Archives #62 (dealers 6 different)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PlainBrownR2
    replied
    Thank you.... right state, wrong city, ah well. The brick facade and the layout of the intersection of the city street had me wondering. I will add along with diversity of products, the dealer had to appeal to a small town crowd, which meant selling something that would keep you "neighborly" with the people around you. I'm trying to recall, but there were a few dealers of this nature around the small towns of Springfield, around the 50's and 60's. Well one day a semi luxury dealer moved in. They were going to cater to the upper eschelon around Springfield. The only problem was, unlike around Chicago, the demographics of this group was much much smaller around Springfield. They went about six months before calling it quits, because they couldn't move as many cars out the door to stay afloat, as compared to the lower cost longtime dealers in the area.

[IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010531-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
    [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010550-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
    [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
    [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

Leave a comment:

• fstst56
    replied
    I was in Altamont today. Couldn't find the building. Will keep inquiring 'til I find out if it's still standing or not.

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    Thanks for the tractor clarification, all, and about the Gleaner-Baldwin Combines. Interesting!

(If knowledge on a given topic isn't available among SDC Forum users, you don't need to know it, right? [}]) [8D]BP

Leave a comment:

• fstst56
    replied
    Richard,

I bought a new gas tank from A.M.(Arnold)Wendling for my '61 H.T.
    in 1972. He was still selling parts out of the basement of his
    house. I was 16.

Leave a comment:

• Collection Doctor
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by BobPalma
    5 (Should be 6). ???? Tractors / Farm Equip ('can't quite make out the sign right on the corner of the building; Massey-Ferguson?)
    Based on the grey paint, these would be Ferguson tractors that were produced before the merger with Massey-Harris.

quote:Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel
    Williamson Motor sales was in Nashville, Illinois. The photo is from May 1949. The hanging sign at right says "Ferguson Tractors." The neon sign in the window "Gleaner Baldwin Combines."
    As a side note, Gleaner Baldwin Combines was purchased by Allis Chalmers in 1955.

Leave a comment:

• Studebaker Wheel
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by fstst56

Is the one in the top left corner Altamont, IL ?
    I live not far from there.
    Yes, it is from Altamont, Illinois. The photo was taken in February 1953 by the Altamont News. The dealership was located on West Main Street. Started in business in October 1940 and owned by H. O. and A. M. Wendling. They stayed with Studebaker until the end in 1966.

Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Leave a comment:

• Studebaker Wheel
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by PlainBrownR2

What was the story of the Willamson dealer, as far as where it was located? I have my modern photographs of the Morris Motor Co. dealer in Morris, IL, but it looks strangely similar to the dealer in that photograph.
    Williamson Motor sales was in Nashville, Illinois. The photo is from May 1949. The hanging sign at right says "Ferguson Tractors." The neon sign in the window "Gleaner Baldwin Combines."

Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by Avantidon
    Wasn't that true of many Studebaker dealers, Bob? Always trying to make a BUCK selling anything and everything.
    Many small-town car dealers were also general mecantiles at one time. That was true of the Studebaker dealer in Clive, Alberta. He also sold TV's and lawn mowers, besides cars. I remember in 1970, there was a Chrysler-Plymouth dealer in Lacombe, AB (Greff Motors)that also sold appliances. It a kind of a surprise at the time to a city boy seeing new washers and dryers lined up against the back wall in the showroom behind a brand new Plymouth Fury.

Craig

Leave a comment:

• Avantidon
    replied
    quote:
    That Williamson Motor Sales was a real multi-tasker. Look at all the products being sold:

1. Studebaker vehicles
    2. Philco products
    3. B. F. Goodrich products
    4. Kendall Oil (Dual Action, of course; "The 2,000-mile oil")
    5. Mobilgas
    5. ???? Tractors / Farm Equip ('can't quite make out the sign right on the corner of the building; Massey-Ferguson?)

Wasn't that true of many Studebaker dealers, Bob? Always trying to make a BUCK selling anything and everything.

See you in the future as I write about our past

Leave a comment:

• s2d63lark
    replied

That Williamson Motor Sales was a real multi-tasker. Look at all the products being sold:

5. ???? Tractors / Farm Equip ('can't quite make out the sign right on the corner of the building; Massey-Ferguson?)

'Safe to say it is not in a major metropolitan area! [8D]BP
    I would hazard a guess (based on the 1950 or 51 models in the showroom) that they dealt in Ferguson Tractors. I don't believe the merger with Massey-Harris occurred until after 1952. Also, the tractor sign only has 2 lines on it not the three expected with Massey Ferguson.

Those rural dealers had to diversify to stay in business, even today. My local NH dealer also handles Kubota, Echo, Suzuki ATV's and a whole pile of other "short line" brands.

Doug

6E40-195 1963 Canadian Lark VY-6 4E2 Deluxe Scotsman

Chatsworth, Ontario, Canada

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    It would be too early for the Massey-Ferguson name to be used, although Massey Harris and Ferguson Tractor merged in the early '50's. It would either be Ferguson Tractor, or Massey Harris when that photo was taken.

Craig

Leave a comment:

• COMMANDERPINK1
    replied
    Richard thanks for the photo. I have been after the Meyers family for photos of the old Meyers Studebaker dealership for some time. WHY? Because I worked for Bud Meyers and then his children Tom, Deb, and Roger between 1980 and 2006 at McGurk Meyers Chrysler. Great family. Bud was the newphew of Merc who owned the Studebaker dealership. As you can quess most of the info and pics from the past have vanished. One side note the Chrysler dealership had a 4 wheel drive Studebaker shop truck up to 3 months prior to my hiring and asked what happen to it, was informed it was sold to salvage yard. Even funnier yet I find out my Uncle had bought it from the salvage yard and his son bolts his rust free Texas body on it. Let be know if you have any others from Meyers Studebaker.

Tom

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied

1. Studebaker vehicles
    2. Philco products
    3. B. F. Goodrich products
    4. Kendall Oil (Dual Action, of course; "The 2,000-mile oil")
    5. Mobilgas

'Safe to say it is not in a major metropolitan area! [8D]BP

Leave a comment:

• Flashback
    replied
    Is that banner in the top left picture the yellow with red one?

Tex in Alabama

Makin' a little progress

Leave a comment:

• fstst56
    replied
    Is the one in the top left corner Altamont, IL ?

I live not far from there.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X