Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From the Archives #62 (dealers 6 different)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From the Archives #62 (dealers 6 different)

A composite of six different. The original images are 8 X 10." If you need info on any of the dealers I probably have it.

Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review
    Richard Quinn

Thank you Richard. I love the StarLight Coupe in front of Myers Studebaker.
    Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
    Smithtown,NY
    Long Island Studebaker Club
    Smithtown,NY
    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

quote:Originally posted by raprice

Thank you Richard. I love the StarLight Coupe in front of Myers Studebaker.
      Rog

Smithtown,NY
      Long Island Studebaker Club
      You are welcome. That dealership was in Iowa City, Iowa.

Richard Quinn
      Richard Quinn

Comment

Looks like all the dealers were bought out by Richard Quinn. This is obviously the starting point for his vast Studebaker collection.

Gary Sanders
        Nixa, MO
        President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
        Gary Sanders
        Nixa, MO

Comment

Thanks for posting the dealership photos, they're great.

If anyone has a photo of Myers Studebaker in Winooski, Vt I'd like to see it. The part of the city where it was located was torn down during "urban renewal" in the late '60's, early "70s. There is nothing left standing in that area, just a large traffic circle.

Dan Peterson
          Montpelier, VT
          1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
          1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)
          1961 Lark Crusier
          1962 Lark V-8 Regal Convertible
          Dan Peterson
          Montpelier, VT
          1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
          1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

What was the story of the Willamson dealer, as far as where it was located? I have my modern photographs of the Morris Motor Co. dealer in Morris, IL, but it looks strangely similar to the dealer in that photograph.

[IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010531-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
            [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010550-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
            [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
            [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
            1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
            1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
            1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Is the one in the top left corner Altamont, IL ?

I live not far from there.

Comment

Is that banner in the top left picture the yellow with red one?

Tex in Alabama

Makin' a little progress

Comment

That Williamson Motor Sales was a real multi-tasker. Look at all the products being sold:

1. Studebaker vehicles
                  2. Philco products
                  3. B. F. Goodrich products
                  4. Kendall Oil (Dual Action, of course; "The 2,000-mile oil")
                  5. Mobilgas
                  5. ???? Tractors / Farm Equip ('can't quite make out the sign right on the corner of the building; Massey-Ferguson?)

'Safe to say it is not in a major metropolitan area! [8D]BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                  "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Richard thanks for the photo. I have been after the Meyers family for photos of the old Meyers Studebaker dealership for some time. WHY? Because I worked for Bud Meyers and then his children Tom, Deb, and Roger between 1980 and 2006 at McGurk Meyers Chrysler. Great family. Bud was the newphew of Merc who owned the Studebaker dealership. As you can quess most of the info and pics from the past have vanished. One side note the Chrysler dealership had a 4 wheel drive Studebaker shop truck up to 3 months prior to my hiring and asked what happen to it, was informed it was sold to salvage yard. Even funnier yet I find out my Uncle had bought it from the salvage yard and his son bolts his rust free Texas body on it. Let be know if you have any others from Meyers Studebaker.

Tom

sigpic

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma
                      5. ???? Tractors / Farm Equip ('can't quite make out the sign right on the corner of the building; Massey-Ferguson?)
                      It would be too early for the Massey-Ferguson name to be used, although Massey Harris and Ferguson Tractor merged in the early '50's. It would either be Ferguson Tractor, or Massey Harris when that photo was taken.

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

That Williamson Motor Sales was a real multi-tasker. Look at all the products being sold:

'Safe to say it is not in a major metropolitan area! [8D]BP
                        I would hazard a guess (based on the 1950 or 51 models in the showroom) that they dealt in Ferguson Tractors. I don't believe the merger with Massey-Harris occurred until after 1952. Also, the tractor sign only has 2 lines on it not the three expected with Massey Ferguson.

Those rural dealers had to diversify to stay in business, even today. My local NH dealer also handles Kubota, Echo, Suzuki ATV's and a whole pile of other "short line" brands.

Doug

6E40-195 1963 Canadian Lark VY-6 4E2 Deluxe Scotsman

Chatsworth, Ontario, Canada
                        1963 Canadian Lark VY-6 4E2-122 Deluxe Scotsman

Bognor, Ontario, Canada

Comment

quote:

1. Studebaker vehicles
                          2. Philco products
                          3. B. F. Goodrich products
                          4. Kendall Oil (Dual Action, of course; "The 2,000-mile oil")
                          5. Mobilgas

Wasn't that true of many Studebaker dealers, Bob? Always trying to make a BUCK selling anything and everything.

See you in the future as I write about our past
                          sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Avantidon
                            Wasn't that true of many Studebaker dealers, Bob? Always trying to make a BUCK selling anything and everything.
                            Many small-town car dealers were also general mecantiles at one time. That was true of the Studebaker dealer in Clive, Alberta. He also sold TV's and lawn mowers, besides cars. I remember in 1970, there was a Chrysler-Plymouth dealer in Lacombe, AB (Greff Motors)that also sold appliances. It a kind of a surprise at the time to a city boy seeing new washers and dryers lined up against the back wall in the showroom behind a brand new Plymouth Fury.

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by PlainBrownR2

What was the story of the Willamson dealer, as far as where it was located? I have my modern photographs of the Morris Motor Co. dealer in Morris, IL, but it looks strangely similar to the dealer in that photograph.
                              Williamson Motor sales was in Nashville, Illinois. The photo is from May 1949. The hanging sign at right says "Ferguson Tractors." The neon sign in the window "Gleaner Baldwin Combines."

Richard Quinn
                              Richard Quinn

Comment

Working...
                              X