Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From the Archives #62 (dealers 6 different)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:Originally posted by fstst56

Is the one in the top left corner Altamont, IL ?
    I live not far from there.
    Yes, it is from Altamont, Illinois. The photo was taken in February 1953 by the Altamont News. The dealership was located on West Main Street. Started in business in October 1940 and owned by H. O. and A. M. Wendling. They stayed with Studebaker until the end in 1966.

Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma
      5 (Should be 6). ???? Tractors / Farm Equip ('can't quite make out the sign right on the corner of the building; Massey-Ferguson?)
      Based on the grey paint, these would be Ferguson tractors that were produced before the merger with Massey-Harris.

quote:Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel
      Williamson Motor sales was in Nashville, Illinois. The photo is from May 1949. The hanging sign at right says "Ferguson Tractors." The neon sign in the window "Gleaner Baldwin Combines."
      As a side note, Gleaner Baldwin Combines was purchased by Allis Chalmers in 1955.

Comment

Richard,

I bought a new gas tank from A.M.(Arnold)Wendling for my '61 H.T.
        in 1972. He was still selling parts out of the basement of his
        house. I was 16.

Comment

Thanks for the tractor clarification, all, and about the Gleaner-Baldwin Combines. Interesting!

(If knowledge on a given topic isn't available among SDC Forum users, you don't need to know it, right? [}]) [8D]BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I was in Altamont today. Couldn't find the building. Will keep inquiring 'til I find out if it's still standing or not.

Comment

Thank you.... right state, wrong city, ah well. The brick facade and the layout of the intersection of the city street had me wondering. I will add along with diversity of products, the dealer had to appeal to a small town crowd, which meant selling something that would keep you "neighborly" with the people around you. I'm trying to recall, but there were a few dealers of this nature around the small towns of Springfield, around the 50's and 60's. Well one day a semi luxury dealer moved in. They were going to cater to the upper eschelon around Springfield. The only problem was, unlike around Chicago, the demographics of this group was much much smaller around Springfield. They went about six months before calling it quits, because they couldn't move as many cars out the door to stay afloat, as compared to the lower cost longtime dealers in the area.

[IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010531-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
              [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010550-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
              [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
              [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
              1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
              1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
              1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Working...
              X