Incorrect description of GT Hawk from Auction Amer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incorrect description of GT Hawk from Auction Amer

This month's Hemmings Motor News just arrived with three or four additional things tucked in. One was from Auction America. They have a black '62 GT Hawk on the cover.

Inside, on page 15, "Examples of unusual and highly desirable models"

"This car is reported by prior owner to have been owned and driven by Andy Granatelli and to have reached a speed of 175 MPH at the Bonneville Salt Flats . . Truly, a one of a kind special order, factory built "one-off" Hawk."

The photo shows an orange supercharger, R3 air box, what appears to be an aftermarket spin-on oil filter adapter, yellow rocker covers and chrome wire wheels. Factory built, indeed.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
    PackardV8

quote:Originally posted by PackardV8

This month's Hemmings Motor News just arrived with three or four additional things tucked in. One was from Auction America. They have a black '62 GT Hawk on the cover.

Inside, on page 15, "Examples of unusual and highly desirable models"

"This car is reported by prior owner to have been owned and driven by Andy Granatelli and to have reached a speed of 175 MPH at the Bonneville Salt Flats . . Truly, a one of a kind special order, factory built "one-off" Hawk."

The photo shows an orange supercharger, R3 air box, what appears to be an aftermarket spin-on oil filter adapter, yellow rocker covers and chrome wire wheels. Factory built, indeed.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
    Once e-mailed a lady that was trying to sue Kruse over the 45K "one off, show car" 57 Golden Hawk with GT Hawk bucket seats and so on. She lost since Kruse just repeats the sellers story and he even had a fake build sheet.

JDP Maryland
    JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

Once e-mailed a lady that was trying to sue Kruse over the 45K "one off, show car" 57 Golden Hawk with GT Hawk bucket seats and so on. She lost since Kruse just repeats the sellers story and he even had a fake build sheet.
      That's true of every auction company. They always have that disclaimer on the form the buyer fills out. Many also print that right on the bidder's number card, and usually state it in the opening welcome before the sale starts. In Jack's quote above the key word is "reported". That one word protects the auction. EBay has the same type of disclaimer.

It is always the buyer's responsibility to perform 'due dilligence' to verify authenticity and condition. A professional seller will provide proper documentation and verifiable proof of any claims like that, because it saves the buyer from having to do so, and therefore makes his vehicle worth more. IMO what we've been seeing more of is people showing off for TV cameras and paying too much for wrong cars. Inevitably they take the hit for it- as in the above lady[B)]

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
      Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

quote: IMO what we've been seeing more of is people showing off for TV cameras and paying too much for wrong cars.
        Agreed, Barrett-Jackson is one more sign the apocalypse is upon us.

It would never occur to me to buy a car at auction, since I assume they are all thieves, just some wearing tuxedos. Thus, I hadn't paid attention to who is responsible for misrepresentation and/or out-right lying about provenance. Wonder if it would be possible to take legal action against the consigner?

At least eBay will sometimes help the buyer if he can prove the item received was not as described.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
        PackardV8

Comment

At a B-J auction a few years back, the twin to my Bearcat was consigned.
          The description was about 90% incorrect.
          To B-Js credit, they did fix [u]some</u> of it when I complained, but they still managed to get my car confused with the one they listed. They basically used my comments to re-write their web description of the car. They never called to discuss it with me, they just ran with what I told them. I knew what I was talking about, but for all they knew I could have been a nut.

So, don't believe EVERYTHING you read in a catalog, it can have as much fiction as the best seller list.
          And the small print gives them legal cover.
          If you're laying out big money for a dream car, don't believe ANYTHING without some proof...

63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State
          63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Working...
          X