Took the '66 Commander out yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Took the '66 Commander out yesterday

I finally got the gas tank cleaned/refurbed and all the steel line and rubber hose replaced. This work followed installation of a new fuel pump and carb rebuild. Anyway, the car is back to being drivable and reliable. I drove it about 80 miles yesterday. It just turned over 34K original miles. Last night my son and me drove it to the Fish Camp for supper. As we cruised along at 50 mph with the windows down enjoying the fresh spring air and "radio delete" feature, it reminded me of being a kid again. Nothing like a brand X 6 cyl with 3spd on the column, 4 drs, no pwr steering or brakes, and a big bench seat to make one comfortable. She's going into the shop soon to have the front fenders (with their minor cancer) replaced by NOS ones I got from SASCO last year. And she'll get a fresh paint job too. [8D]

[img][/img]

edp/NC
    '63 Avanti
    '66 Commander
    edp/NC
    \'63 Avanti
    \'66 Commander

quote:Originally posted by edpjr

As we cruised along at 50 mph with the windows down enjoying the fresh spring air and "radio delete" feature, it reminded me of being a kid again. Nothing like a brand X 6 cyl with 3spd on the column, 4 drs, no pwr steering or brakes, and a big bench seat to make one comfortable.

edp/NC
    Now that's what it's all about!! [8D]

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    "Star Performers with Saving Ways!"

Vancouver Island Chapter
    http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander
    Zone Coordinator
    Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Very Nice. Perfect story, thanks for sharing!

Mark

Comment

AutoFair next weekend?

Jack White
        Charlotte,NC
        North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club
        Jack White
        Charlotte,NC

Comment

Hey Jack. Looks like I'll have to bring the '66 Commander. I can't seem to get the Avanti away from the body shop in time. It's getting the rechromed rear bumper installed, all the rubber/weather stripping, new door sills, detailing and insulation under the hood, the new badges and emblems, doors adjusted, etc. And, it's going slow as molasses. I also bought new wheel covers from SI and NOS front turn signal lenses to install once I get it back. My new headliner kit's not in it yet either. [:0]

ps I still want to discuss maybe buying Woody's old R1 engine. Think of a price.

quote:Originally posted by Bamajak

AutoFair next weekend?

Jack White
          Charlotte,NC
          edp/NC
          '63 Avanti
          '66 Commander
          edp/NC
          \'63 Avanti
          \'66 Commander

Comment

Hey edpjr, how about some more pics of this lovely beast. Is that the small six or the 230? What colour interior?

Is that the original paint? How about a serial number so we can see when it was build during the short model year?

Thanks,

Jonno.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Jonno

Hey edpjr, how about some more pics of this lovely beast. Is that the small six or the 230? What colour interior?

Is that the original paint? How about a serial number so we can see when it was build during the short model year?
              Curiousity alredy got to me the last time on this one:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...TOPIC_ID=39471

Craig

Comment

Thanks for the interest. The ID# is C133179 - fairly early in the production run. It has the 194 CID engine, Tan interior, and my guess is the car has been re-sprayed somewhere along the line. It appears there was some body work done to address previous rust on the top of the fenders on both sides. The paint's bubbling up there again, so I just bought NOS replacement fenders at a deal just before SASCO sold out. I've included some more pics as well as a shot of my brother's '66 Cruider V-8. I don't have the serial number from it handy, but when we checked it appeared to be very late in the production run. [8D]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Thanks,

Jonno.
                edp/NC
                '63 Avanti
                '66 Commander
                edp/NC
                \'63 Avanti
                \'66 Commander

Comment

Thanks for that, Mr. Craig.

Wow heck of a car! edpjr - more pictures please. All of Canada wants to know!

Jonno.

Comment

Interesting comment. I work in the electric power biz and we just had a lady visit last week from Bruce Power in Canada. She grew up about 1/2 hr from Hamilton, Ontario and had never heard of Studebaker. Of course she's only mid 30's, I'm guessing. [^]

Thanks for that, Mr. Craig.

Wow heck of a car! edpjr - more pictures please. All of Canada wants to know!

Jonno.
                    edp/NC
                    '63 Avanti
                    '66 Commander
                    edp/NC
                    \'63 Avanti
                    \'66 Commander

Comment

Now that Highland Red and Tan colour combo looks really great. You were posting the pictures just as I was making my last request! Hey Craig, what colour interior is on the "Paintball Car"?

edpjr - if you repaint, how about going back to the original colour combo! Sweet car. Thanks,

Jonno.

Comment

edpjr, my apologies, the other '66 is your brothers car, should read these threads more carefully! Still, Highland Red and Tan interior would be a great colour combo, just dreaming in technicolour.

Jonno.

Comment

The red '66 Cruiser V-8 auto is my brother's car and it has a black interior. I think white WAS the original color of my six banger Commander. [?]

Now that Highland Red and Tan colour combo looks really great. You were posting the pictures just as I was making my last request! Hey Craig, what colour interior is on the "Paintball Car"?

edpjr - if you repaint, how about going back to the original colour combo! Sweet car. Thanks,

Jonno.
                          edp/NC
                          '63 Avanti
                          '66 Commander
                          edp/NC
                          \'63 Avanti
                          \'66 Commander

Comment

Hey Craig, what colour interior is on the "Paintball Car"?
                            Red vinyl.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                            X