Detail an Avanti 289

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detail an Avanti 289

I finally found and purchased a 63 Avanti R1. I am planning on pulling the engine and trying to fix many oil leaks. I was wanting to know the correct color to paint the engine and where to get it? Also was the intake painted silver or the same as the rest of the engine? While the engine is out I am going to clean up the engine compartment and detail it also. This is a 4 speed car. While I have the engine out is there anything else I should check or do at this time?

1963 Avanti R1-1656
    1976 Avanti II RQB2446
    1982 Avanti II RQB3480
    1958 Transtar 3E6-122
    1958 Transtar 3E13-31
    1959 Transtar 4E7-122
    1959 Lark 2 door Wagon
    1960 Transtar 5E28-171
    1960 Lark Gasser
    1963 Daytona

Black on the engine intake also. I use STD black gloss engine paint.

1988 "Beater" Avanti---R2 R5388 @ Macungie 2006

Comment

Just doing the same on my 63 R-2. I finished the oil pan gasket, front & rear main seals. While it's out, change the freeze plugs, AND clean out the water jackets. New clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing. Check the motor mounts/trans mount.
      R-1 engine are black, chrome valve covers are chrome, valley cover also chrome on the early cars.

Jim
      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
      their Memorials!

Comment

Listen to Jim. Please be sure to remove all the freeze plugs and block drain plugs. Then using a coat hanger or other stiff wire and a high pressure hose, clean out the inside of the block. There will be a ton of sand, muck and possibly even left over wire in there. Concentrate on the rear of the block. Its a disgusting and nasty job, but the car will run significantly cooler when its done. Also, as mentioned above, do the front and rear seals using the new neoprene style. Good luck on that, it sounds fantastic.

sals54
        sals54

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sals54

do the front and rear seals using the new neoprene style.
          ......... ?

The rear main seal is already one of the finest ever made, neoprene and steel Brummer Oil Seal, there ARE no others that fit.

The timing cover seal is felt and not a problem on tight engines, but COULD with modification (machining) to the front hub, be converted to except a Transmission seal. If done correctly will slightly improve sealing.

Improper installation of the front and rear oil pan arch gaskets is the most common leaking point. No pan gaskets are available except the original 4 piece cork or cellulose.

StudeRich
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Make sure you get a new oil pressure rubber hose. This is the one that goes from the block to the gauge on the dash. These are extremely brittle with age. About twenty bucks.

Replace all your rubber hoses and fuel lines. Most will be shot.

Like me, I am sure that you will find lots of bits to repair/replace. Good luck. Keep us posted.

John in VA., now pulling the fuel tank in his R2.

1963 Avanti R2
            Marshall, VA
            John
            1963 Avanti R2
            Marshall, VA

Comment

Minor point I would like to add to cleaning the water jackets out in the rear of the engine. While the engine is out & the freeze plugs havent been replaced yet remove the plates on the rear of the cylinder heads & blow out with water, coat hangers, gun cleaning brushes, anything you can imagine that will reach in there too to clean out as much of the junk that gathers in the rear of the block. I always replace the pipe plugs on the rear of the block with petcocks (same size as found in the bottom of the radiator) just so when the occasion comes around to drain the cooling system for fresh coolant, all the coolant is replaced instead of leaving whats in the block.

60 Lark convertible
              61 Champ
              62 Daytona convertible
              63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2)
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan
              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
              64 Zip Van
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Thanks for all the great information on what to do on my 289. Where is a good place to get the best overhaul gasket set for these engines? I have been building Chevy engines for nearly 40 years now but this will obviosly be my first Studebaker V-8. Thanks again!

1963 Avanti R1-1656
                1976 Avanti II RQB2446
                1982 Avanti II RQB3480
                1958 Transtar 3E6-122
                1958 Transtar 3E13-31
                1959 Transtar 4E7-122
                1959 Lark 2 door Wagon
                1960 Transtar 5E28-171
                1960 Lark Gasser
                1963 Daytona

Comment

For some time I've been directing inquiries to the 'Vendors' link on the home page.

I just went looking for a link and it isn't there.

Did it get lost/strayed or stolen? I can't find it. I hesitate to recommend the vendors I deal with because others are equally good.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
                  Tom Bredehoft
                  '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
                  '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
                  ....On the road, again....
                  '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                  All Indiana built cars

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Tom B

I hesitate to recommend the vendors I deal with because others are equally good.
                    Tom

Let me start by apologizing if this seems critical. It is not meant to be in any way.

I don't understand your reticence to indicate the suppliers that you have great experience with. Seems to me that by being a great supplier they have earned the reward of a positive reference and exposure.

Would you feel the same if you had a bad experience?

I always give the suppliers I've have experience with a comment either good or bad. You could say "I'm sure there are a lot of great supplier but these are the one's I've had experience with"

Please understand I'm not being critical but just am trying to give the forum members that ask the questions the benefit of our personal experience.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                    X