best place to get auto transport quotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best place to get auto transport quotes

I have to have a car hauled from California to Minnesota soon. Any ideas on the best place to research quotes?
    Any companies to avoid?
    Any companies to recommend?

Thanks for any help! I have never done this before.

Get ahold of peg trucking she has had many forum members car hauled.
    She had my lark brought in this Jan. Email me for her info.

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

Comment

Try Ray's car shipping and speak to Jane. 301-483-7978

Comment

quote:Originally posted by gohdes

I have to have a car hauled from California to Minnesota soon. Any ideas on the best place to research quotes?
        Any companies to avoid?
        Any companies to recommend?

Thanks for any help! I have never done this before.
        Pegs trucking, she is Studebaker friendly, just had her haul one for me. Not like the rest, she contacted me personaly and worked with me the seller, the weather. and the fact that others had to recive the car because i'm overseas.

http://www.pegtrucking.com/

Comment

I just recently had a 63 GT Hawk shipped from Palmetto, Fl to Uvalde, TX (1250 miles) and used Pegs Trucking. Low price and had it in 4 days It was inoperable, having been sitting 18 years. I have used Peg several times. You might get a lower price, but Peg has a good track record with Studebaker transport.
          Allen

Comment

so far, Peg is 25% higher than 3 other quotes. $1200 vs. $900. The three other companies were in the top 10 ratings on transportreviews.com, don't know how reliable it is but it was a place to start for me.
            what do you think? is she worth 25% more?

Comment

Be very careful of the lowest price. Some of these quotes also include sending you car all over the country to be offloaded and reloaded on to several different trucks. Sometimes they sit in lots till someone going the right direction can pick it up.

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

58' 3E6D Stock

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

Comment

She always is for me. When you have had experiences with other shippers with the games and worry, you really appreciate having a known individual available to work with. Peg is a great gal, and her drivers are well-trained and experienced in hauling Studes- she knows they need to be "soft-tied", moreso than other brands.

It is tempting to go with the cheaper, but it is well worth the peace of mind Peg gives.

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Like 289 said, be real leery of low bidders. I got burned a couple of years ago that way. If these other SDC members recommend PEG'S, that's a good indicator of how to go.

Dean

CLEM DESEE MISTY
                  Dean

CLEM

Comment

I've used DAS a 5 times. Last was Los Angeles to NJ a few months ago $1,000. Service has been great with DAS.

I used McNutt to ship my Meteor from Oregon to NJ, a non running car, it was $1800, came 1 day early. When I was working at a GM dealer I used them to ship cars that I purchased on-line for the used car lot. Never had a problem.

With DAS I think the closer you are to a DAS terminal the better their pricing is. DAS charged the same to ship my New Yorker from Wisconsin as the 88 Avanti from LA. They shipped a couple out of Texas for me a few years ago $800 for running $1100 for non-running, again about the same as coast to coast.

Peg trucking is going to ship 5 cars from NJ to NC for me in a few weeks. All cars running, $1600 door to door. I didn't shop price based on forum recommendations for PEG Trucking but the price seemed fair.

Based on my experience whenever pricing was close I've used DAS.

ErnieR

1988 "Beater" Avanti---R2 R5388 @ Macungie 2006

Comment

I can't speak for others, but the driver Peg sent to pick up one of my cars was a car guy himself and knew what he was doing. Peg personally kept me informed of time table for pickup.

A friend of mine just sold a car and the buyer sent a "low ball price" guy to pick it up. What a nightmare, blown trailer tires, very easily confused with simple directions and an old unreliable tow vehicle that caused more delays. My friend finally told him he would load up the car on his rollback, meet him at his hotel and loaded the car on his trailer for him. Not saying this will ever happen to anyone else, but it's something to think about.

Skinny
                      Watertown, SD
                      Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

thanks for all the info guys. I was curious why 3 other companies were all within 850-950, and then hers was so much higher. I realize you should not go with a cheapest price, but they were all close to each other. I expected to see a bigger range. So, I figured that was more of the going rate, and maybe Peg was too high. maybe I will get a couple more quotes. Thanks.

Comment

My first attempt at shipping was with DAS some years ago. I got nothing but lies about the schedule and where the car was on a haul from San Fancisco area to Kansas City. Truck got quarantined in Arizona before it picked up the car and delayed a week due to bug infestation from Massachusetts on it's circuitous route across the US. Was told it would be on their own truck but got farmed to a jobber since it was non-op. Will not use them again no matter what the cost.

Second and third hauls were with Peg based on recommendations here. Washington state to KC and Minneapolis to KC for non-ops. Peg was just a broker but set me up with haulers she knew and had done business with before. They were on time and courteous both times. Highly recommend Pegs !!

'57 3E6-12 Transtar Deluxe
                          '64 Daytona HT
                          \'57 3E6-12 Transtar Deluxe
                          \'64 Daytona HT

Comment

so far, Peg is 25% higher than 3 other quotes. $1200 vs. $900. The three other companies were in the top 10 ratings on transportreviews.com, don't know how reliable it is but it was a place to start for me.
                            I listened to the advice i got on the forum. She was a little higher, but the car was insured, and the personal touch was well worth It. After multiple tries to get it out of Montanas snow country. It is sitting in my friends driveway as of today. Price is only worth the service you get, i got my monneys worth.

Comment

This is the transport truck that Peg got for my GT Hawk. Very experianced driver.

Allen

Comment

Working...
                              X