Lark carb cfm??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lark carb cfm??

Anyone have any idea of the cfm rating of Carter AS series carb or WW Strombergs. I am welding up a dual single or 2bb manifold for one of my OHV sixes, eventually for my ohv 185, and I do not want to go too overboard

What is the biggest carb you can stick on a six, I thought about two AS carbs because I saw a picture of a flathead manifold with two AS carbs in an article about Bill Cathcart a while ago and if it works for a flathead six...

Another though might be a carb off a 232 V8 or a Holley 5200 but I have a bunch of AS and WW carbs and I'm working to use what I have.

Jeff T.

"I'm getting nowhere as fast as I can"
    The Replacements.
    \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
    The Replacements.

A 500 cfm Edelbrock is a common size for a 289. That figures to a 320 cfm for a 185. Some use a 600 on the 289. That comes out to a 385 cfm. I only using my math skills, not my mechanical ones!

Chip
    '63 Cruiser
    '57 Packard wagon
    '61 Lark Regal 4 Dr Wagon
    Chip
    '63 Cruiser
    '57 Packard wagon
    '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
    '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

IMHO, two WW 2-bbls would be way too much carb for even a 185" 6-cyl. They would have to be on a common linkage and it be too much at low RPM.

The way we did it back in the day with lots of 6-cyls was three single barrels and progressive linkage. If you really wanted it to look trick, make a three-AS-single barrel intake and use progressive linkage. Run on the center carb up to half-throttle and then have all three open at full throttle. It won't be any faster than the two single barrel carbs, but it will work better at low RPMs and will get better fuel mileage because you are running only on one carb most of the time.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
      PackardV8

Comment

The math works this way. a 185 cu inch engine running at 85% efficiency at 5,000 rpm will suck in 227 cu ft of air in one minute. Too much more than that and the air flow past the venturies at low rmp, idle, 1000, etc, won't suck gas out of the float chamber.

I have no idea what constitutes too much, but I would think that 1 WW would be enough, or two AS's.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
        Tom Bredehoft
        '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
        '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
        ....On the road, again....
        '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
        All Indiana built cars

Comment

Yea...what Jack and Tom said.
          Big isn't always better....!

Mike

Comment

Working...