LOWERING A 1950 COMMANDER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LOWERING A 1950 COMMANDER

Hi to all......what is involved in lowering a 50 Commander a few inches ?...is it a difficult thing to do ?....thanks in advance...John

John, I don't know how different your suspension is than mine, but on the Coupe below, I just cut the front springs and used lowering blocks in the rear. Easy and fast.

sals54
    sals54

Comment

I tried that with one of my Commander cars. I had problems putting the car on a trailer. It scraped the button of front fenders. That caused some major damage.

Comment

Roy....how much had you lowered the Commander when you had this problem ?....John

quote:Originally posted by royvaldez

I tried that with one of my Commander cars. I had problems putting the car on a trailer. It scraped the button of front fenders. That caused some major damage.

Comment

Don't lower your car unless you want a rough ride. The previous owner of my 1998 Grand Prix GTP lowered the car about 2 inches and it rides horribly rough. I've rode in stock Grand Prixs for comparisson and they ride very smooth. Just my two cents worth. [B)]

A wild Red Hawk admiring it's reflection.
          In the middle of Minnestudea
          sigpic
          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Yeah, to the above comments regarding the rough ride. My wife will not ride in my car with me. I've still got pretty tough kidneys, so its OK for me. I just love the look of it. Its one of the compromises one must make being a CASO engineer. My front springs are cut a full 3 coils. The rear has 3 inch lowering blocks. I've also got a 1.25 inch sway bar in the front too, so that makes it rough around corners as well. And, Roy, I have to admit that I've yet to try getting my car onto my trailer. That could be dicey. Maybe 5 foot ramps would help ???

sals54
            sals54

Comment

Well...that rough ride thing is enough for me to say no to this lowering project as when I get the Stude in reliable condition I want to take a trip in it and ride will be all important to me..thanks to all posters on this subject...John

quote:Originally posted by Milaca

Don't lower your car unless you want a rough ride. The previous owner of my 1998 Grand Prix GTP lowered the car about 2 inches and it rides horribly rough. I've rode in stock Grand Prixs for comparisson and they ride very smooth. Just my two cents worth. [B)]

A wild Red Hawk admiring it's reflection.
              In the middle of Minnestudea

Comment

I thought the 1950 still had the planar front suspension. Perhaps the Commanders were different? I remember looking at that on my 39 Champion and concluded it would be near impossible to lower it (without replacing it).

BShaw, Webmaster
                webmaster@studebakerdriversclub.com
                Woodbury, Minnesota
                sigpic
                Bob Shaw
                Rush City, Minnesota
                1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
                "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

John,
                  Just because the method I used caused a rough ride does not mean that your car cannot be lowered and still maintain a comfortable nature. Mustang 2 or GM front clips are always available as well. Going that route is more expensive and allows you to set the car at whatever height you wish while maintaining the stock comfort of the full coil spring. A front clip would also permit the use of lowered spindles, which, again would let you keep the softer suspension and a low stance. Lastly, if you take your car to a reputable shop, air bags can be installed instead of springs enabling you to change the ride height even while driving. Many options are out there.... it depends how deep your pockets are.

sals54
                  sals54

Comment

John, I have a guy in Stockton, Ca who has a 1950 Commander. He told me that he put air shocks on the front of car. All he did was drill a couple of holes on the bottom and put the shocks through and up the coils. He said that made the ride better. Maybe, you can look at and research how to do that. I would use shocks with over coils if i could. I think he said he used shocks made for astro.

Comment

Some of the keys to getting a lowered car onto a trailer are to reduce the angle where the ramps meet the trailer. Couple ways to do this are to place some 2x6 boards under the end of the ramps to raise them and to use the tongue jack to raise the front of the trailer, once the car is on, then you can lower it. The other alternative is to put it on backwards. This helps if you have low clearance at the front and also benefits from the 2x6s under the ramps. Mine is lowered with dropped spindles in the front and re-arched springs in the back. I also have mini air bags in the back so I can adjust for load. The ride is comfortable on smooth roads, I try to avoid rough spots but it does hit a little hard when I can't.

Pat

Pat Dilling
                      Olivehurst, CA
                      Custom '53 Starlight aka Stu Cool
                      '54 Conestoga Future Project

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611
                      Pat Dilling
                      Olivehurst, CA
                      Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

I lowered my 62 lark by cutting the coils. It scrapes too, and when it does I giggle like a school girl on prom night. pretty cool

"Oppurtunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work" Thomas Edison

Comment

Brian, I gotta admit that I like the scrapes as well. A badge of honor so to speak. Since I cut the 3rd coil out of the front, the slightly lower front has caused the traction bars in the rear to scrape, where before they did not. I do love the low ride. Now I need to go back to the 80s Camaro front seats. they were lower than these Acura seats I have now. Its all in the angle of the dangle, eh?

sals54
                          sals54

Comment

Cutting or heating front coils is definitely the poor mans way of lowering the car. But, if you do plan to try this, the trick is to know what you are doing.Cutting more than one coil is in most cases a no no! Even though 30 years ago I cut a coil and an inch from my stock 49 Ford coils and the car had a wonderful ride for over 100,000 miles so far. The method in which you cut the coil is also important. Don't use a torch! [}] A zip cutter is probably the best. Springs hate heat!! As far as the rear, lowering blocks do not change ride softness or stiffness. If your rear is rough, you should check your travel. The rear end needs room above it to travel.
                            Frame can be c'd, and should always have rubber snubbers in place, with ample room for travel on rough roads or when carrying passengers. Best front end suggestion would be to cross member the car with an aftermarket Mustang II style front end with new lowered coils and dropped spindles depending on how low you want to go. I personally find air ride suspensions very stiff and rough.[xx(]
                            Good Raods
                            Brian

e and

Brian Woods
                            woodysrods@shaw.ca
                            1946 M Series (Shop Truck)
                            Brian Woods
                            woodysrods@shaw.ca
                            1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

I want to lower just the rear of my '50 Champion four door sedan with 2" lowering blocks but not change the front in any way. Is that likely to drastically or mildly change the ride quality? Will it create any drive-line or exhaust problems? Thanks, Lance, Seattle

Comment

Working...
                              X