Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know the specs on this Studebaker?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know the specs on this Studebaker?

I've had this picture of my grandfather on the wall for a couple of years now. After getting my Great Uncle's 1955 Commander back in April I discovered this forum. It just occurred to me the other day that someone on this forum might help me identify the type of Studebaker wagon he's on in the picture. All I know about the picture is that it's in Arkansas in 1917.

I did a search for "Studebaker Wagon Club" and the SDC is what came up. Is there a group formed for just Studebaker wagons?

Thanks,
    Tom

Tom_CentralValley
    Three Rivers, CA
    1955 Commander 4 dr
    Tom
    Three Rivers, CA
    1955 Commander 4 dr

It appears to be a Studebaker Goat Wagon. They appear from time to time on e-Bay. I understand that they could be set up for shafts (as shown) or with a regular handle for pulling by a child. A rather rare item, if you have a chance to own an original one, take advantage.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.
    Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

It appears to be a Studebaker Goat Wagon. They appear from time to time on e-Bay. I understand that they could be set up for shafts (as shown) or with a regular handle for pulling by a child. A rather rare item, if you have a chance to own an original one, take advantage.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.
      Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Yep - Goat wagon! Pretty Cool.[8D] Imagine what life was like when that photo was taken. Honestly, you/we can't. A shame really - because I DO think it was a simpler time with a slower pace of life. Or maybe I just WISH it was that way.[:I]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Yep - Goat wagon! Pretty Cool.[8D] Imagine what life was like when that photo was taken. Honestly, you/we can't. A shame really - because I DO think it was a simpler time with a slower pace of life. Or maybe I just WISH it was that way.[:I]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I don't know the specs on your little wagon, but I have a little better picture of it. Well, maybe not better, just in colour;

As far as a club just for Studebaker Horse Drawn Vehicles? I couldn't say. Try the American Driving Society or The Carriage Association.

http://www.americandrivingsociety.org/ for the American Driving Society
            or
            http://www.caaonline.com/ for the Carriage Association of America

Here's a Studebaker I used to own. The picture was taken in 1902 outside Reno Nevada:

Nice commander!

Lotsa Larks!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I don't know the specs on your little wagon, but I have a little better picture of it. Well, maybe not better, just in colour;

As far as a club just for Studebaker Horse Drawn Vehicles? I couldn't say. Try the American Driving Society or The Carriage Association.

http://www.americandrivingsociety.org/ for the American Driving Society
              or
              http://www.caaonline.com/ for the Carriage Association of America

Here's a Studebaker I used to own. The picture was taken in 1902 outside Reno Nevada:

Nice commander!

Lotsa Larks!
              Ron Smith
              Ron Smith

Comment

The wagon is nice but I like your 55 better![8D]

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

The wagon is nice but I like your 55 better![8D]

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

Thank you everyone.

Thanks Guido for the ID on that wagon.

Mr. Biggs / Studedude - I think it was good times for Grandpa until the depression hit them. He was in his 20's through the worst of it. I think the family kept this picture to remind them of better times before they lost the farm. So far, I don't know if I would want to trade places. It's nice to see the smile on his big old German noggin.

Studeclunker - great photos! Your old wagon looks fancier than any of the wagons I've seen. I love the color shot of the Studebaker Goat Wagon. I came accross a guy that sells plans to build your own Studebaker Junior wagon on eBay. That might be a great way to get my boys involved in hobby/interest in the coming years. It's helpful to know what color to paint it.

Thanks again to all!
                    Tom

Tom_CentralValley
                    Three Rivers, CA
                    1955 Commander 4 dr
                    Tom
                    Three Rivers, CA
                    1955 Commander 4 dr

Comment

Thank you everyone.

Thanks Guido for the ID on that wagon.

Mr. Biggs / Studedude - I think it was good times for Grandpa until the depression hit them. He was in his 20's through the worst of it. I think the family kept this picture to remind them of better times before they lost the farm. So far, I don't know if I would want to trade places. It's nice to see the smile on his big old German noggin.

Studeclunker - great photos! Your old wagon looks fancier than any of the wagons I've seen. I love the color shot of the Studebaker Goat Wagon. I came accross a guy that sells plans to build your own Studebaker Junior wagon on eBay. That might be a great way to get my boys involved in hobby/interest in the coming years. It's helpful to know what color to paint it.

Thanks again to all!
                      Tom

Tom_CentralValley
                      Three Rivers, CA
                      1955 Commander 4 dr
                      Tom
                      Three Rivers, CA
                      1955 Commander 4 dr

Comment

1902 - Ron, izzat you standin' next to those steeds? Izzat an early Greyhound vehicle? Aren't you eligible to retire by now???

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe
                        1957 President 2-dr
                        1955 President State
                        1951 Champion Biz cpe
                        1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

1902 - Ron, izzat you standin' next to those steeds? Izzat an early Greyhound vehicle? Aren't you eligible to retire by now???

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe
                          1957 President 2-dr
                          1955 President State
                          1951 Champion Biz cpe
                          1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

According to my kids, my first cousin is Methuselah. In truth I'm old, yes. Not that old though. The fellow in the picture would be around a hundred twenty four years old. Assuming he was twenty when the picture was taken in 1902.

By the way, that's a Roof Seat Brake. Tons of fun to drive with four sharp horses in front. I used to drive it with three abreast on occasion. Unfortuneately it took considerable time and assistance to get on the road. I couldn't go out without at least two other people to assist (grooms). Talk about getting stares going down the road. Caused quite a few near accidents with rubberneckers.

My circumstances aren't what they used to be. So Now I concentrate my time on motor driven Studes. There are days though when I miss the rattle of wooden wheels and the jingle of harness...

Lotsa Larks!
                            Ron Smith
                            Ron Smith

Comment

According to my kids, my first cousin is Methuselah. In truth I'm old, yes. Not that old though. The fellow in the picture would be around a hundred twenty four years old. Assuming he was twenty when the picture was taken in 1902.

By the way, that's a Roof Seat Brake. Tons of fun to drive with four sharp horses in front. I used to drive it with three abreast on occasion. Unfortuneately it took considerable time and assistance to get on the road. I couldn't go out without at least two other people to assist (grooms). Talk about getting stares going down the road. Caused quite a few near accidents with rubberneckers.

My circumstances aren't what they used to be. So Now I concentrate my time on motor driven Studes. There are days though when I miss the rattle of wooden wheels and the jingle of harness...

Lotsa Larks!
                              Ron Smith
                              Ron Smith

Comment

Working...
                              X