Hopping up our 62 Lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hopping up our 62 Lark

Well we finally got the Lark into the barn. The car was purchased for $200. My 16 year old sat in the front seat, rolled down the window and propped his arm on the window sill, and said, "WOW! This is cooool!" We're thinking about building to be budget legal for the $2010 Grassroots Motorsports Challenge. My son and 2 of his buddies are jazzed up about working on the car. It will be a hands on experience for the boys. I remember being in high school. And, bubbling over with excitement about some long lost unloved vehicle, thinking it was the greatest thing on wheels waiting to happen. I felt 28 years younger while watching them hang out. I also felt like a million bucks just knowing my boy was willing to hang out with his Pop.
    54 C Land Speed - 179.644 mph
    59 Lark Cruiser - 14.58 @ 99.30
    60 Lark Gasser 1 - 10.82 @ 122.83
    60 Lark
    63 Lark Slammed - 11.62 @ 116.3

quote:Originally posted by wheels777

Well we finally got the Lark into the barn. The car was purchased for $200. My 16 year old sat in the front seat, rolled down the window and propped his arm on the window sill, and said, "WOW! This is cooool!" We're thinking about building to be budget legal for the $2010 Grassroots Motorsports Challenge. My son and 2 of his buddies are jazzed up about working on the car. It will be a hands on experience for the boys. I remember being in high school. And, bubbling over with excitement about some long lost unloved vehicle, thinking it was the greatest thing on wheels waiting to happen. I felt 28 years younger while watching them hang out. I also felt like a million bucks just knowing my boy was willing to hang out with his Pop.

Sell as many parts as you can off the $200 Lark to add to your budget. Buy a rust bucket 500 cu in Caddy for the drive line swap and recover some money from that car, add nitrous and the rest. You'll still lose, but you can have fun.
    They build some silly, fast cars for 2K, mostly imports that will do well on the track, and maybe a turbo/nitrous for the drag racing.

JDP Maryland
    Disclaimer:
    None of the discussions of my Studebakers are a invitation to buy nor a promotion to sell, I'm just sharing the hobby the way I practice it.
    JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

Sell as many parts as you can off the $200 Lark to add to your budget.
      Done. Advertised the E&T everywhere for $50 and no bites. Scrapped it for $60.45. Rear will go as soon as we assemble another one.

Buy a rust bucket 500 cu in Caddy for the drive line swap and recover some money from that car, add nitrous and the rest.
      SBCs and Studebaker's have a long running connection. My high school vehicle was a 50 Stude P-U with a SBC. Faster than a Caddie on NOS. Cooler than...well everything, except a Commander

You'll still lose, but you can have fun.
      They build some silly, fast cars for 2K, mostly imports that will do well on the track, and maybe a turbo/nitrous for the drag racing.
      Probably, we have been there 6 times and finished as high as 3rd, 5th, 9th and 11th-3times. We are also bringing an all out monster to the event. This would be a second car.
      60 Lark

Comment

quote:Originally posted by wheels777

Sell as many parts as you can off the $200 Lark to add to your budget.
        Done. Advertised the E&T everywhere for $50 and no bites. Scrapped it for $60.45. Rear will go as soon as we assemble another one.

Buy a rust bucket 500 cu in Caddy for the drive line swap and recover some money from that car, add nitrous and the rest.
        SBCs and Studebaker's have a long running connection. My high school vehicle was a 50 Stude P-U with a SBC. Faster than a Caddie on NOS. Cooler than...well everything, except a Commander

You'll still lose, but you can have fun.
        Probably, we have been there 6 times and finished as high as 3rd, 5th, 9th and 11th-3times. We are also bringing an all out monster to the event. This would be a second car.
        Than ignore my previous comments, you know what you are doing and should do well, BTW, the mouse motor is probably a better choice weight wise and cheap parts are available. Post any cheap parts needs you may need to help.

JDP Maryland
        Disclaimer:
        None of the discussions of my Studebakers are a invitation to buy nor a promotion to sell, I'm just sharing the hobby the way I practice it.
        JDP Maryland

Comment

or Chrysler cop car wheels, they are 7" wide but heavy.

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

It is always interesting to read the Grassroots articles about the builds of these cars. As far as I can tell, other than wheels777, all the contestants lie like a rug about only having $2010 in their cars.

"We bought the car for $100 and sold $1750 of parts off it and then found a former NASCAR race engine and transmission for $50 at a swap meet and my teammate had four nearly-new race tires and wheels left over from another project. The four yellow Koni race shocks we got on eBay for $25 and all the Heim joints we bought at a surplus store for $5. The NOS setup was in a box of junk we found in the trunk of the car and the racing seat, roll bar and five-point harness was salvaged from a wrecked car at pick'n-pull. A guy walking by just happened to be an award-winning painter and was so impressed, he offered to do the paint and body work for free."

Lack of verisimilitude aside, it is a fun contest and best of luck.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
            PackardV8

Comment

As scrutinized as the budgets are and with receipt being turned in, there is little of that. A Nascar engine has a dry sump, they aren't getting away with that stuff. If they were trying, why would they risk the embarressment? If they can't outrun our stuff with a $200,000 engine that would be funny. We bought our short block at a flea market for $350 and have transferred it from car to car. Our heads and intake were another $350. Besides, if they could afford an outdated Nascar engine, why would they waste their time racing in a competition that has no purse. One walk through the pits and you can see they are sweat, not dollar built.
              60 Lark

Comment

Is there a website about this grassroots racing? I would like to check it out.

Comment

www.grmotorsports.com
                  60 Lark

Comment

BTW, this thread was supposed to be about a group of 16 year olds building a Stude with help from a Dad. If it is going to turn out to be a Grassroots Motorsport Challenge bashing, I will gladly part ways. I heard the ridiculous claims like what was posted above. I can't account for others actions. If they are cheating, I don't care. We can only account for our own actions and we leave our build documents in the trailer so that anyone who questions any part can ask how, where and what. The whole race is based on time and talent, not money.
                    60 Lark

Comment

I didnt read that as bashing,just shows how written words can be misconstrued please carry on with updates of your build.

Comment

Yes, please carry on! It is very nice to see young kids getting into American iron versus the tuner stuff... though I remember a few quick Beetles that would have counted as tuned imports in the day :-)

Steven & Michelle
                        1962 Lark
                        Saskatoon, SK, CANADA

Comment

You guys should see the cool stuff this family has put together over the years. They race at Maxton with a '54 coupe and as has already been said have competed in the Grass Roots challenge a number of times. It is indeed a family thing and the kids are right in there helping. I am very impressed.

Hope to see you and your family at Maxton in April. It will be interesting to see what happens with all the changes you've made on the '54.

Good luck with the Lark. Will it still be a street car? I know the original plan was to have your son drive it to school and such. Keep us informed of your progress.

Cliff and I still talk about the great time we had visiting your place. Thanks for the hospitality.

Joe Roberts
                          '61 R1 Champ
                          '65 Cruiser
                          Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                          Eastern North Carolina Chapter
                          Joe Roberts
                          '61 R1 Champ
                          '65 Cruiser
                          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Cravin,
                            I have been involve in hundreds of conversations about the Challenge. The bashing always starts with...
                            quote:Originally posted by PackardV8

It is always interesting to read the Grassroots articles about the builds of these cars.
                            the polite set-up

and, followed up with....

...all the contestants lie like a rug about only having $2010 in their cars.
                            ALL contestants lie.

then back it with a hint of detail....

"We bought the car for $100 and sold $1750 of parts off it
                            A loophole that was used by one team in 2003. The rules were change to not allow profit from sell down (and no more then $1005 for this year).

Then throw in the extreme lie so that the shadowof doubt is cast....

and then found a former NASCAR race engine and transmission for $50 at a swap meet and my teammate had four nearly-new race tires and wheels left over from another project.
                            and follow it with a statement that no one can find such good deals at the flea markets by saying....

The four yellow Koni race shocks we got on eBay for $25 and all the Heim joints we bought at a surplus store for $5. The NOS setup was in a box of junk we found in the trunk of the car and the racing seat, roll bar and five-point harness was salvaged from a wrecked car at pick'n-pull. A guy walking by just happened to be an award-winning painter and was so impressed, he offered to do the paint and body work for free."
                            Been there, done that. The bashing always start with someone who has never been to the event casting doubt over what a lot of people have worked hard to do. We are always one of the first to arrive at the local sprint car flea markets. We are always one of the last to leave. There are incredible deals to be found IF you work hard at finding them. We do just that. Last year I saw a few parts in one stand that we could use. The guy did not want to pack the stuff up. We bought the entire row (25' long) for $30. An hour later we bought everything left in a guys stand for $24. He did not want to take the stuff home, and I did not have another dollar in my pocket. I bought an engine for $5. Best part, 4 of my competitors were with me and helped load the thing.

Again, having participated in the event 6 times and my buddy having done so 2 years before me, I recognize when the bashing statements are about to start. Having watched peoples projects be ripped apart here because the color was off is not a once and done comment. There was a thread about people bashing the folks bashing a guys Avanti. I understand authentisity and accuracy. But, the "it's not done my way" negativity is different and why I posted this. If by turning this away from a bashing and towards a positive "this is what we ae doing as a family" direction is realized...I will be thrilled to have my son join and post the build website. Both of the boys have learned how to build websites to
                            60 Lark

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Steven and Michelle

Yes, please carry on! It is very nice to see young kids getting into American iron versus the tuner stuff... though I remember a few quick Beetles that would have counted as tuned imports in the day :-)

Steven & Michelle
                              1962 Lark
                              Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
                              Yes it is. My oldest went through years of medical problems. On June 28th of 2008 he said "Dad, I've been thinking...I want to build a car". This is what we did in 77 days.

www.cam777.synthasite.com

Then last year, my little guy and I wanted to do a 5 window coupe. we struggle to survive a 1.4 incomes (Wife works 10-16 hour outside the home and 100 hours a week here). So, we did this in 147 days.

http://paccracing.synthasite.com/1-5.php

I can share hundred of stories about what we did, what they saw, what they learned about. The whole family gets involved.
                              60 Lark

Comment

Working...
                              X