2 piece Windshield install 50 Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 piece Windshield install 50 Champion

I am ready to install the 2-piece windshield in my 1950 Champion and have some questions. In the shop manual for the 50 it says to lay the rubber on a table and use an approved sealer in the rubber and then put the glass in the rubber. Next apply an approved bedding putty to the inside of the windshield opening flange. It also says to use pieces of hardwood between the two pieces of glass at the top and bottom. Then hold the whole thing up in place inside the flange and work the outer ends into place over the flange first and then use the string at that point.

Questions: What kind of sealer can I get locally?
    Where can I get bedding putty or better yet, what is a good alternative if I cannot find it around here?

ANY SUGGESTIONS will be appreciated as I will be doing this by myself and although I have become pretty good at working with "dead men" this will be a challenge.

Thanking you in advance.

Jimmie
    Orange County, Indiana
    1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA
    sigpicJimmie
    Orange County, Indiana
    1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA

One piece windshields are hard enough without two people. I highly recommend that you recruit a second person for a two piece. The bedding putty is dumdum (aka strip caulk)which should be easily available at a building supply store.

Terry

Comment

3M strip caulk for "bedding" available at any reputable FLAPS. I've used glass urethane between rubber and glass. Others recommend against it.
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Working...
      X