Swap Electric wiper for Vacuum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swap Electric wiper for Vacuum

I've had my electric wiper apart now two different times and can't seem to get it running. I don't think the motor is burnt out but don't know for sure. It is possible that the brushes are not making correct contact on the armature, but I don't know how to ensure the brushes are riding properly. I didn't see any holders for the brushes and I think something should be there to hold them tight to the armature. One of them doesn't seem to be spring loaded.
    Also, I have power on all three terminals of the switch, that doesn't sound right. It will come complete with the wiring in place, gasket, the switch and circuit breaker. It could be an easy fix for someone experienced in this area and has lots of patience. I have neither.

Would like to trade for a vacuum type wiper in good working order (part #293684) for anyone who has a spare kicking around and can help me out. I would be glad to shell out $60 additional for a working electric, but as I don't plan to be driving in the rain, the vacuum will do.

Thanks everyone for any help or ideas. Email for pics of the wiper setup.

Dave D.
    '51 4-dr Champion
    Smithers, B.C.
    Canada
    Dave D.
    '51 "Bulletnose" Champion
    '59 "Silver Hawk" V8

Smithers, B.C. "Where a Stude in hand is worth two in the bush"

If I remember right, that type motor has a phenolic/spring affair to apply brush tension. With age the phenolic gets really brittle and one end of it will break off, causing just the scenario you're describing.

I'll see if I have a good electric unit around here. The vacuum ones are RARE! And I think you'd be the first EVER that I've heard of that wanted to regress to vacuum.[:I]

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

If I remember right, that type motor has a phenolic/spring affair to apply brush tension. With age the phenolic gets really brittle and one end of it will break off, causing just the scenario you're describing.

I'll see if I have a good electric unit around here. The vacuum ones are RARE! And I think you'd be the first EVER that I've heard of that wanted to regress to vacuum.[:I]

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Yep, Bob, I know it's a step backwards, but I'm desperate. Can't find a Redmond electric anywhere. As far as I know, there has never been one on E-bay and none of the vendors have any. If you have one and are fairly certain it won't give me any grief for a few years, I'd be more than glad to take it off your hands. I'll await your response.

Dave D.
        '51 4-dr Champion
        Smithers, B.C.
        Canada
        Dave D.
        '59 "Silver Hawk" V8

Comment

Yep, Bob, I know it's a step backwards, but I'm desperate. Can't find a Redmond electric anywhere. As far as I know, there has never been one on E-bay and none of the vendors have any. If you have one and are fairly certain it won't give me any grief for a few years, I'd be more than glad to take it off your hands. I'll await your response.

Dave D.
          '51 4-dr Champion
          Smithers, B.C.
          Canada
          Dave D.
          '59 "Silver Hawk" V8

Comment

I think I have a vacuum unit if you are going to need it.
            Rob

Comment

I think I have a vacuum unit if you are going to need it.
              Rob

Comment

Working...
              X