This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr. Burlingames Car

Back in 1973 I was a teenager with a '64 Commander. A real plain jane but I loved it and was a member of SDC. My summer job was as a toll collector on the Garden State Parkway in south Jersey. One day an elderly couple pulled into my lane in the flashiest Black and Chrome '64 Cruiser I'd ever seen. After some light conversation (this was all backing up traffic) he asked "do you want to buy it?".
    A few days later they drove down from Toms River NJ and delivered the car. The story is that this was a part of the Executive fleet that Clayton Motors in Lakewood NJ had purchased from South Bend in 1965. The folks had just bought a '64 Hawk but the lady was having a hard time getting into it (low seats). The dealer called them back in, the Cruiser was on a rotating turntabie in the center of the dealership, and they were told it had belonged to Byers Burlingame, the President of Studebaker. Well, they traded in the hawk for it, and owned it up to my purchase. Unfortunatly, no packed to documents came with, other than the usual glove compartment material. Many years ago I wrote to Carl Thompson, and though he could not be certain, he agreed that is was most likely built for and used by Burlingame. It has all the options available, Disc brakes, Air, AMFM, Red broadcloth upholstry, PS Tint glass TT. Serial number 64V19816 and a final assembly date of Dec. 18, 1963. It was prepped for retail delivery and delivered to South Bend to a Stude employee. Thats all I can say for sure. It SURE looks like the CEO's car, Black, chrome and red wool a real power car. Now, I kept it. It sat in the drive for about 15 year at one point but she is purring now and I would put (areas) of that factory black paint up against any Rolls Royce finish.
    So.............the big question, do any of you boys remember seeing Mr. Burlingame tooling around South Bend in that car? It is amazing to think that he drove home one day in December '63 knowing he had just shut down Americas oldest automaker. Id love to get some photos or some hard documentation on this. thanks

I'd love to see photos of this car if you have them available.
    Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

What a cool story Good luck !

HOME of THE FRIED GREEN TOMATO
        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

What a cool story Good luck !

HOME of THE FRIED GREEN TOMATO
          sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by tstclr

Todd

...and the build sheet! Wonder if its tagged for BB. Are there any extra metal tags on the firewall other than the usual VY-9/body number tag?

Craig.

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by tstclr

Todd

...and the build sheet! Wonder if its tagged for BB. Are there any extra metal tags on the firewall other than the usual VY-9/body number tag?

Craig.

Comment

Craig, it's tag would read 64V-Y9

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President 2-dr
                1955 President State
                1951 Champion Biz cpe
                1963 Daytona project FS
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President 2-dr
                  1955 President State
                  1951 Champion Biz cpe
                  1963 Daytona project FS
                  No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Indeed it would for South Bend cars!! I put the dash in the wrong place. Did you know Hamilton built cars after January 1964 won't have the '64' in front of the 'V' (or 'S')? Nor do the 65's or 66's have a year affixed to the body tag.

Craig.

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Indeed it would for South Bend cars!! I put the dash in the wrong place. Did you know Hamilton built cars after January 1964 won't have the '64' in front of the 'V' (or 'S')? Nor do the 65's or 66's have a year affixed to the body tag.

Craig.

Comment

Poor Byers Burlingame was in charge of shutting down Packard in 1956 and Studebaker's South Bend facilities in late 1963 earning the poor guy the title of "undertaker" for both makes. I would love to see photos of this car! Better yet bring it to Omaha!

Studedude1961
                        --1963 Cruiser

Comment

Poor Byers Burlingame was in charge of shutting down Packard in 1956 and Studebaker's South Bend facilities in late 1963 earning the poor guy the title of "undertaker" for both makes. I would love to see photos of this car! Better yet bring it to Omaha!

Studedude1961
                          --1963 Cruiser

Comment

I will check with my aunt to see if her dad ever had a car like this. I only remember the green mercedes before he passed away and the yellow packard that I vomited in many years ago.

Comment

I will check with my aunt to see if her dad ever had a car like this. I only remember the green mercedes before he passed away and the yellow packard that I vomited in many years ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X