Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What a friend's father said about the Rockne...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a friend's father said about the Rockne...

OK, so I am at a birthday party last night at beer joint and my friend (birthday boy at 40) introduces me to his father (a Notre Dame alumnus) and says I have a Studebaker. Father says "Studebaker built some good cars in its day, but the worst thing they ever did was build this piece of ***p car called the Rockne. They literally fell apart in the buyer's driveways," says he.

Now I know this isn't true.

So I argue back that the Rockne was a decent car, named with the best of intentions, but the victim of horrific circumstances because of the untimely passing of Knute Rockne. "Daddy" tells me to do my homework and then we'll talk. I'm going to see the old gas bag at Friend's house tomorrow when the "family" birthday party happens.

So I know that these cars aren't that bad - that either the old coot is fond of hyperbole, or his mind is going.

But were there any production or engineering issues to be aware of with the Rockne that I don't know about?

Stu K

'63 Lark Regal, "Miss Rose"

No. He's the one who is full of crap.
    Larry Tholen is the keeper of all things Rockne for the SDC and ASC.
    I can shoot you his email if you need more info.

Chris Pile
    http://midwaystudebakers.tripod.com/
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Just a thought, But arguing with we old farts is like flaming on the forum. It makes for high blood pressure in most cases and only leaves the outsiders nervous.

Take my advise and ask him what he has driven that he loved and get on with that discussion. You'll leave later in a much better mood.

Dang!! youngsters trying to change an old man's opinion. A Jim McCuan says We are seldom right but never in doubt.

Whippersnapper.

Bob

Comment

Yeah. Tilting at windmills never achieves the desired result.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
        '63 F2/Lark Standard
        http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
        www.studebakersandiego.com

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I agree, the result isn't worth the effort.

Anecdotally speaking, I can say, after 77 years, mine has never been taken apart and certainly never fallen apart.
          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

I would bet that, despite the nice memory jog that the name should give him, he's confusing the reputation of the Rockne with that of the Erskine. I'm not calling the Erskine a "piece of ***p" either, but, with a smallbore long-stroke contract engine in a Euro-size, with hard use it would have had some issues. You might try feeling him out on that. It's been 80 years, you know.

Comment

Did the Rockne have a Continental engine? I don't think it had a Studebaker manufactured engine[?].

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

I agree, the result isn't worth the effort.

Anecdotally speaking, I can say, after 77 years, mine has never been taken apart and certainly never fallen apart.
                I know my friend's father is full of his own opinion and not much more.[)]

Still, its nice to hear from an actual Rockne owner. I have never seen anything to indicate that the cars were ever made on the cheap, or were a reincarnation of EMF.

But did any of the Rocke's come with a non-studebaker engine?

Stu K

'63 Lark Regal, "Miss Rose"

Comment

quoteid the Rockne have a Continental engine? I don't think it had a Studebaker manufactured engine[?].
                  You're joking, right?
                  I believe the Rockne engine became what we know as the Big 6 engine.
                  Correct me if I'm wrong.

Chris Pile
                  http://midwaystudebakers.tripod.com/
                  The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

We're as confused as the geezer. The Erskine had the Continental engine. He's thinking of the Erskine.

Hey, you take that back about the EMF, too. One recall, and see what happens?

Comment

"All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Maybe it's just because I'm into Studebakers, but it seems like there is more misinformation about them than any other make of car. When I am at a car show I hear stuff that just makes me want to pop some of these people right in the nose.

Doug
                        Venice, Florida
                        1950 Champion
                        9G F1

Comment

Never pay any attention to anything anyone says in a beer joint, particularly someone old enough to be your father.

MikeV
                          Pompano Beach, FL
                          83 Avanti 377I

Comment

Geeze Mike, this country was founded in a beer joint, by guys old enough to be my father...

Comment

So it is the Erskine with the Continental engine, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X