May 2010 Hemmings Classic Car PALMA MOTORS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May 2010 Hemmings Classic Car PALMA MOTORS

May 2010 Hemmings Classic Car on page 74 TO 77.

Photography courtesy Bob Palma.

Lu Palma Illinois Packard Dealer kept the faith with the Marque until its final days!

Leonard Shepherd
    http://leonardshepherd.com/

Thanks for sharing that Leonard! I'll tie it to Bob's existing thread on the subject:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...TOPIC_ID=39745

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
    Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Leonard Shepherd and a couple others with the May 2010 Hemmings Classic Car in hand have e-mailed with a couple questions, so here is some additional information if anyone is interested:

1. The photos on Pages 74 and 76 were obviously taken the same day, mid-July 1953. Note the dark color of the front of the building, and the fact that there is no PALMA MOTORS yet painted at the top of the showroom window. That's because they had been in business only one month when that photo was taken.

2. The smaller photo on Page 75 was taken in May 1954. By that time, the front of the building had been painted the lighter color, and the sign painter had painted PALMA MOTORS at the top of the showroom window.

3. The Page 75 photo has a new 1954 Nash Rambler Country Club in it because they had taken on Nash (and Willys) by that time, to augment Packard sales.

4. The Page 74 photo is indeed "the whole staff" except my Dad. All but one of the men in the Page 74 photo may be identified:

The three Probst Brothers were among Dad and Milt's greatest personnel "bonuses" when they bought the place. Lawrence Probst is the tall guy with a cigarette in his mouth. Foster and Kenny, his two brothers, are to his left. (Kenny is still wearing his painter's cap to keep all that fresh alkyd enamel out of his hair!)

Regarding the Probst brothers: Dad took out a fair-sized ad in The Beacon-News, stating "The Probst Brothers" did all the body / fender / paint work at Palma Motors and were "well known in this area for their fine work." (And they were; a real boon to Palma Motors, as they got lots of paint and body work as a result of those three brothers already working there when they bought the place.)

The short guy with black hair in the back is Ray Waltz, who was one helluva good wrench and a bit of a hot-rodder.[}] Uncle Milt is on the far left. We can't identify the guy next to Uncle Milt.

The guy closest to the camera is combination salesman Floyd Phillips. Floyd was a great salesman who knew everyone in town and was a real asset [8D] to Dad and Uncle Milt. Floyd used to kid me a lot (I was 8/9 years old, remember) as a good salesman would do, but in a friendly way. The humorous story of me (at age 8) and Floyd looking over the first new Nash Metropolitan upon its arrival has been told previously on this forum.

5. The large picture on Page 75 was indeed taken in January 2010, when Dad was still 92 years of age. In fact, he still is as of this writing (March 19, 2010); he actually won't turn 93 until April 14, but we put 93 in the article because the cover date of the magazine is May 2010, and Dad will be 93 as of the magazine's "official" publication date.

That photo was taken in my storage building next to our house. It is interesting to note how they washed out (retouched) the window in the background. Not that it would make any difference, but you'd simply see the side of our house through the window if it had not been retounched to avoid that distraction.

If anyone has any other questions after seei
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

AH HA! Floyd Phillips, Is that where you got the "Used Car Saleman" itch from? <G>

Jim
        "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
        their Memorials!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 52 Ragtop

AH HA! Floyd Phillips, Is that where you got the "Used Car Saleman" itch from? <G>

Jim
          To some extent, Jim. Floyd Phillips really was a nice guy, and full of local "information."

Which suggests another amusing story I've heard several times:

The Paris Post Office was right next to Palma Motors, in a separate building on the opposite side of the property to which The Court Club bar was attached. You could look out the shop windows at Palma Motors and see people coming and going at the Post Office next door.

Of course, before e-mail, the local Post Office was a community center of sorts; most businessmen and such could be seen for a few minutes at the Post Office every morning.

When Dad and Uncle Milt were new to town, Floyd Phillips and Dad would stand at a shop window and Floyd would describe to Dad, the various people visiting the Post Office.

One morning, a prominent citizen was leaving and Floyd allowed as to who he was and that his "marital infidelity" was pretty well known around town. Dad asked Floyd if the guy's wife knew about it.

Floyd replied, "Oh, yeah, she knows all about it but doesn't mind; he gives her plenty of money to play the ponies."

As we say in the Used Car business, "whatever it takes to make a deal!" [8D]BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

To some extent, Jim. Floyd Phillips really was a nice guy, and full of local "information."

Bob,
            Would that "local information" be the typical used car salemans BS??? LOL

Jim
            "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
            their Memorials!

Comment

This car is on e-bay right now. very nice.

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Bob,
                I just received my Hemmings Classic Cars issue. The article about your dad was terrific. He is true blue and was faithful to Packard to the very end. You must be proud.
                Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                Smithtown,NY
                Long Island Studebaker Club
                '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                Smithtown,NY
                Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Bob: It was a very interesting story about a fine gentleman and his experiences in the automobile business. I would enjoy it if Hemmings Classic Car would have a similar story about the retail car business and the people in it more often. It is one of my favorite magazines.

"It's like deja vu all over again."--Yogi Berra
                  "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Bob,

Got my HCC today and immediately went to the article about your dad. A great story and I particularly enjoyed your dad's recollections of that time. You are a lucky guy to have him around.

Frank Philippi
                    Ocean Pines, MD

Comment

Thanks, Frank, Rog, and Bob. 'Glad you liked the article.

You'd enjoy the following:

Mom and Dad live independently in a retirement community apartment in NW Indianapolis. There are maybe 300 people living there at the most, so it is possible to not know one or two.

Well, predictably, at least one other resident subscribes to Hemmings Classic Car, but he didn't know Dad. That fellow read the article and was certain he recognized the name (how many Lumirs do you know?), so he looked up Dad in the directory.

'Turns out this guy is a retired Chrysler engineer, so he and Dad each made a new friend that day and had much to yak about. [8D]BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Working...
                      X