Feature stories in Turning Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feature stories in Turning Wheels

I've been wondering for the last couple of years when or if there are plans to re-issue or update or reprint some of the very old feature articles from TW. Most old issues aren't hard to find, but on the other hand I can see that many articles that are more than 20 years old are certainly due for a re-visit. Fred Fox has done this in the past a few times, but I'd like to know how many out there would like to see a more comprehensive approach to getting these older articles updated.

Here are the reasons I'm thinking this should be seriously considered:

1) Many (if not most) of the membership wasn't involved in the 1970's - 1980's when a large number of model and year specific articles were written and published. Therefore, they have not enjoyed the level of education we did on the most common and interesting Studebaker models.

2) The technical improvements in TW's typography and especially photography have made many of the old articles very dated looking (to be kind). Compare the photos - and cover photos - for the 1966 models (printed in 1986) to any TW from at least 1993 to date and you'll see exactly what I mean.

3) Certainly some new information and perspectives have come to light since these articles were written 20-plus years ago.

There are probably other reasons people can think of, too.

Comments?

"Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Perhaps make reprints available of the old, model specific articles to members. That way, when a new member joins the club or an existing member gets a "new" Stude, they can educate themselves on their car.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Perhaps make reprints available of the old, model specific articles to members. That way, when a new member joins the club or an existing member gets a "new" Stude, they can educate themselves on their car.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

My suggestion would be that instead of physically printing these (which would cost money!), they be turned into Web pages. SDC members could access them using their online passwords. (Sorry Mr. Shaw, I know that's more work for you!)

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
        '63 F2/Lark Standard
        http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

My suggestion would be that instead of physically printing these (which would cost money!), they be turned into Web pages. SDC members could access them using their online passwords. (Sorry Mr. Shaw, I know that's more work for you!)

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
          '63 F2/Lark Standard
          http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

That may be complicated by the fact that even though SDC paid for the articles, they remain the copyright of Fred Fox.
            "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

That may be complicated by the fact that even though SDC paid for the articles, they remain the copyright of Fred Fox.

Comment

In the past, the SDC Board has tried to issue a "best of" or "Feature Article" book/booklet. This has been stifled by the authors owning the copyrights. Years ago, Fred Fox said that he would issue a compilation, but as far as I know, this has never happened. Maybe it is time for the SDC Board to re-visit this topic. In the meantime, new members can just buy up previous issues of Turning Wheels. Besides individual copies, quite often entire collections come up for sale.

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

In the past, the SDC Board has tried to issue a "best of" or "Feature Article" book/booklet. This has been stifled by the authors owning the copyrights. Years ago, Fred Fox said that he would issue a compilation, but as far as I know, this has never happened. Maybe it is time for the SDC Board to re-visit this topic. In the meantime, new members can just buy up previous issues of Turning Wheels. Besides individual copies, quite often entire collections come up for sale.

Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Once again, the forum clock is screwed up. I responded to something posted and my post shows up ahead of what was responded to due to the time on my post being incorrect. I posted at about 2:13 Eastern Time, which should show up as 1:13 Central Time, but showed up on the forum as 12:13. This makes for confusing reading. This is happening, not just on this thread, but I used this case as an example.

Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Once again, the forum clock is screwed up. I responded to something posted and my post shows up ahead of what was responded to due to the time on my post being incorrect. I posted at about 2:13 Eastern Time, which should show up as 1:13 Central Time, but showed up on the forum as 12:13. This makes for confusing reading. This is happening, not just on this thread, but I used this case as an example.

Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I would like to see some of the articles which appeared in "Turning Wheels" which were published before I became a member of SDC, 1991.
                        Perhaps a "looking back" section or column could be done.
                        Fred Fox has been and still is a wonderful resource, along with Dick Quinn, over the years.
                        Someone suggested the possibility of putting old articles on CD's or DVD's. I don't know if this can be done due to copyright regulations.
                        The Model T Ford Club of America has put all past issues of their publication, "Vintage Ford" on CD's and this has worked well.
                        Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                        Smithtown,NY
                        Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I would like to see some of the articles which appeared in "Turning Wheels" which were published before I became a member of SDC, 1991.
                          Perhaps a "looking back" section or column could be done.
                          Fred Fox has been and still is a wonderful resource, along with Dick Quinn, over the years.
                          Someone suggested the possibility of putting old articles on CD's or DVD's. I don't know if this can be done due to copyright regulations.
                          The Model T Ford Club of America has put all past issues of their publication, "Vintage Ford" on CD's and this has worked well.
                          Rog

Smithtown,NY
                          Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

About the clock, I had a similar thing happen to a post I made yesterday. Weird.

Comment

About the clock, I had a similar thing happen to a post I made yesterday. Weird.

Comment

Working...
                              X