need a dualley ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need a dualley ???

At 5K, seems fair, even with thin factory paint.

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/1647250535.html

JDP/Maryland
    JDP Maryland

Man if only I had 5 grand lying around

Tom

sigpic

Comment

Nice!![^] A 5 spd. OD tranny, would make it ideal.[8D] (IMHO, of course)

<h5>Mark
      '57 Transtar Deluxe
      "Star Performers with Saving Ways!"

Vancouver Island Chapter
      http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
      '66 Commander
      Zone Coordinator
      Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

quote:Originally posted by COMMANDERPINK1

Man if only I had 5 grand lying around

Tom

Amen! It is deals like this that make me want to sell my Champ. That be a great truck to tow a race car.

Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Editor of "The Down Easterner"
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter
        Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

need? no. Want? yeah, pretty much.

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Need? Yeah. Want? YEAH! Got Somolias? Nope!

Nice truck though![]

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I found that one, too, and I'm sending an e- to the seller. It was advertised over a month ago at the same price, and the listing probably expired and got renewed.

My questions for the seller, and knowledgeable sources here: Is it a 6E13, would the rear axle info be available on the data tag in 1961, and can anyone here confirm the domestic production number in the listing? As an aside, I'm not a big guy, and wonder how I'd do trying to wrestle a 1 ton. Tell me the worst. Would it be worse than a 3/4 ton? Don't know about that either, but simpleton logic tells me bigger is harder without P/S. Thanks.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Maynard

I found that one, too, and I'm sending an e- to the seller. It was advertised over a month ago at the same price, and the listing probably expired and got renewed.

My questions for the seller, and knowledgeable sources here: Is it a 6E13, would the rear axle info be available on the data tag in 1961, and can anyone here confirm the domestic production number in the listing? As an aside, I'm not a big guy, and wonder how I'd do trying to wrestle a 1 ton. Tell me the worst. Would it be worse than a 3/4 ton? Don't know about that either, but simpleton logic tells me bigger is harder without P/S. Thanks.
                Some answers:

The only one ton model built in 1961 was the 6E13;
                Studebaker built a total of 299 6E13 trucks, 125 for domestic (US) sale and 174 for export (outside US);
                Power steering was a factory option on the 6E13, but from the picture shown in the ad, it does not appear that this truck has that option;
                Yes, rear axle info should be included on the Serial plate;
                I cannot comment specifically on the ease of steering for this 1 ton, as I have not driven this model but in general terms I have only found the steering in non power steering equipped C-Cabs to be an issue at low speeds, when parking etc.
                I can tell you that 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks in that year used the same steering box, but the 1 ton and larger trucks used a different steering box and had a 18" steering wheel instead of a 17" wheel.

Facts are courtesy of the March 2002 edition of TW.

Let us know what you find out.

<h5>Mark
                '57 Transtar Deluxe

Vancouver Island Chapter

Mark Hayden
                '66 Commander
                Zone Coordinator
                Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

When I was 16 (only 4 years ago) I had a '51 2R16 1 1/2 ton dump truck. I forget the wheel base. Bread and butter work truck with the Big Six engine and 4 speed trans, two speed rear end.

I was about 140 pounds then and I'm 5'6" or so. I didn't put more than 50 miles on the truck when I owned it (it was a brute), but I don't remember it being too bad. Was TONS of fun though. I even drove it to high school a time or two. It got the looks. As long as you don't get in any hurry to go, stop, steer, park, or anything of the like, you will be fine.

Right now my granddad owns it and it needs a bit of work, including an engine rebuild. Honestly I'd kinda like to own it again and I would love a "big" Transtar.

I did, however, put over 10,000 miles on my '59 halfton pickup when I drove it daily. Never had any problems steering it.

Matthew Burnette

Comment

Mark, your monitor resolution must be better than mine. What do you NOT see and where should it be if this unit had P/S? The fact that the seller got the domestic production number almost right (is it 125 or 126?) indicates he may be in the know, so probably would have mentioned P/S.

No response yet. In my first post, I mentioned that the same listing was running about a month ago. I tried to contact then also, and never got a response. Does craigslist have a reputation for non-delivery?

Comment

Mark, your monitor resolution must be better than mine. What do you NOT see and where should it be if this unit had P/S?
                      Here's the pic... if the truck has factory power steering, there should be a second pulley on the water pump with the power steering pump located on the front left of the block... I just don't see any evidence of it.

<h5>Mark
                      '57 Transtar Deluxe

Vancouver Island Chapter

Mark Hayden
                      '66 Commander
                      Zone Coordinator
                      Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

That is a very nice looking Truck! []

Although Power Steering was available, it was extremely rare to be ordered with it, and as Mark said it would have a 18" in. steering wheel and a "big Truck" steering gear, it also has the better looking big truck fenders as used on non-pickup 1 Tons and all over 1 Ton Trucks.

I have not found my 7E-13-131 Dually to be hard to steer at all, but it is running the original type 7.50 X 16 bias ply, tubed 8 Ply rated truck tires on the split rims as this one.

The wheelbase on this one should be 131 in. with a Std. bed length of 9 ft. and the Std. axle ratio was 4.88 with 5.13 optional as was Twin Traction. A New process 5 Speed O.D. and a 4.56 axle should fix it right up! [^]

StudeRich
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Where'd you get those different pics? They're not the ones I see when I follow that link, which is probably the one I originally followed.

Comment

Where'd you get those different pics? They're not the ones I see when I follow that link, which is probably the one I originally followed.
                            I just followed the link in JDP's post which started this thread.

<h5>Mark
                            '57 Transtar Deluxe

Vancouver Island Chapter

Mark Hayden
                            '66 Commander
                            Zone Coordinator
                            Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Considering what the fellow with the truck on the back cover of March TW did to his, I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard (???) to put Radials, modern brakes and a Power Rack and Pinion steering box into this.

Looks a nice truck.

Good Luck if you can get it.

John Clements
                              Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
                              Lockleys South Australia
                              John Clements
                              Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Working...
                              X