Truck / R2 Head Value??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truck / R2 Head Value??

Yes, I know. Whatever someone is willing to pay. I have a set of 582 heads on a truck engine. Just wondering what the price range on these would be?

Thanks,

Rob

quote:Originally posted by rayoung55

Yes, I know. Whatever someone is willing to pay. I have a set of 582 heads on a truck engine. Just wondering what the price range on these would be?

Thanks,

Rob

I was buying the truck heads from SASCO NOS for about $200 a set. I thought they gave about the same compression, but different casting number. I'd guess used R2 heads at $300-$400 a set.

JDP/Maryland
    JDP Maryland

Comment

I paid $150.00 plus shipping. This was for the 582 heads.

Comment

I am looking for a set of 1557[u]582</u> heads. I would like to find some in Pennsylvania. I was told that 582 heads are more prone to cracking. I never got a definite reason why. Some of the theories I heard were because the working trucks generate more heat and that R2 engines are generally driven harder. Some people thought the heads were cast too thin. I really don't know if any of that is correct. I came across a pair that the person had magnafluxed to check for cracks. He wanted $250.00 for them but they would have needed hardened seats and I preferred not to have that done.

regards,
        Jay

Comment

quote:Originally posted by IMJ

I am looking for a set of 1557[u]582</u> heads. I would like to find some in Pennsylvania. I was told that 582 heads are more prone to cracking. I never got a definite reason why. Some of the theories I heard were because the working trucks generate more heat and that R2 engines are generally driven harder. Some people thought the heads were cast too thin. I really don't know if any of that is correct. I came across a pair that the person had magnafluxed to check for cracks. He wanted $250.00 for them but they would have needed hardened seats and I preferred not to have that done.

regards,
          Jay
          Never heard the cracking story, nor do you need hardened seats. Besides the NOS truck heads never had any use.

JDP/Maryland
          JDP Maryland

Comment

The heads I was looking at were not NOS. Apparently water somehow got into the heads and some of the exhaust seats were severely pitted. I don't think there was enough metal left to grind a proper seat. I personally am leery of installing hardened seats and the consequences if they should come out. I have heard about used 582 heads being cracked more often than the more common 570 heads by several Studebaker engine rebuilders.

regards,
            Jay

Comment

quote: they would have needed hardened seats and I preferred not to have that done.
              quote:nor do you need hardened seats.
              IMJ, JDP and I will have to agree to disagree on this one.

Yes, I feel hardened exhaust seats should be installed on Stude V8 heads. FWIW, the machine shop where I do my heads has installed thousands of hardened seats with no problems. We won't send out a head without hard exhaust seats.

No, if a Stude is primarily a show car/Sunday driver, it won't accumulate enough high RPM miles to recess the exhaust seats for many years. However, it is so inexpensive to do it when the head work is in process, even a CASO can't justify not installing hard exhaust seats.

Maybe, someone can step up with lots of proof about cracked 582 heads, but it is not a common Stude V8 problem unless the engine is run without coolant.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
              PackardV8

Comment

quote:Originally posted by PackardV8

quote: they would have needed hardened seats and I preferred not to have that done.
                quote:nor do you need hardened seats.
                IMJ, JDP and I will have to agree to disagree on this one.

Yes, I feel hardened exhaust seats should be installed on Stude V8 heads. FWIW, the machine shop where I do my heads has installed thousands of hardened seats with no problems. We won't send out a head without hard exhaust seats.

No, if a Stude is primarily a show car/Sunday driver, it won't accumulate enough high RPM miles to recess the exhaust seats for many years. However, it is so inexpensive to do it when the head work is in process, even a CASO can't justify not installing hard exhaust seats.

Maybe, someone can step up with lots of proof about cracked 582 heads, but it is not a common Stude V8 problem unless the engine is run without coolant.

thnx, jack vines

We are not that far apart on the seat issue. I've just never had a seat problem, but than, I only drove maybe 2000 miles/year. If I was building a engine for some serious racing, or towing I might have it done, but I typically just used NOS heads as built.

PackardV8
                We are not that far apart on the seat issue. I've just never had a seat problem, but than, I only drove maybe 2000 miles/year. If I was building a engine for some serious racing, or towing I might have it done, but I typically just used NOS heads as built.

JDP/Maryland
                JDP Maryland

Comment

As I said, casual use will take a long time to recess the exhaust seat.

However, most NOS heads I've seen need a seat touchup anyway. While they are in the shop, I'd drop in the hard exhaust seats and know I'd be done with it for my lifetime.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                  PackardV8

Comment

I apologize to Rob if my comments or questions seem to have hijacked his original post. Purchasing 582 heads is something I have been toying with for several months. I have no concrete proof of the cracking, only what I was told. I was only told of one case where a seat came out in pieces and did major damage to an engine. It was not a Studebaker engine and maybe the seat was improperly installed. But it was the incident and the reason why that mechanic did not recommend using hardened seats in Studebaker heads. That and also that my cars do not get a lot of miles or pounding. It is quite possible that the machine shop that did his work had hundreds of successful procedures. Like anything else it is the 'oops' that is remembered and talked about. I had hoped to have R3 intake valves installed with standard exhaust valves. Having never seen hardened seats installed it looked to me like there would not be enough room to put in larger intakes along with hardened exhaust seats. If this is a common practice, I am starting to wish I would have bought those heads and had that done. Thanks for the information JDP and Jack and sorry again Rob for stepping in on your post.

regards,
                    Jay

Comment

I simply used my original R1 heads and had R3 valves seats and stelite valves installed. Then the heads were ported by hand, benchtop testing before and after resulted in a 25% improvement in air flow. Coupled with hypereutectic pistons my compression ratio should drop down into 9.0 to 9.5 range. THIS IS NOT A CASO OPTION. You can see heads and pistons in my signature photos.

John

63R-2386 under restoration & modification
                      sigpic
                      John
                      63R-2386
                      Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Jay,

No problem. It seems like topics here have a tendency to wander around anyway. Thanks for the input guys. Just trying to figure out if they would be worth selling or better to keep on had for backups.

By the way, Jack (PackardV8) just finished a set of heads for me and they are absolutely beautiful!! I would highly recommend him if you want any performance machine work (or any machine work) done. I can't wait to get them on the truck!!

Thanks again,

Rob

Comment

Working...
                        X