57 silverhawk fuel pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 57 silverhawk fuel pump

i have been trying to start my hawk but it seems the fuel pump is to weak i can pump it by hand and get it to work but when i put it in the car it doesn't pump, i know i have it under the cam. there is some play in the arm which i do not know if that is normal or not. i was just wanting to know if anyone has a quick fix or any solotion to my problem, or is it possible to take an ford fuel pump and switch the arms out to make it work. any help would be great thanks
    Kevin Phillips
    Jacksonville,AR

53 commander

If you have an original Carter fuel pump with the glass bowl and stone filter on the bottom or the "tin" can with paper filter element in it, either is the best pump ever made. You can purchase rebuild kits and rebuild it.

On the other hand if you have one of the those cheap copies of a AC type pump made by Airtex and sold under many names even Carter with no filter and a laminated actuator lever. Those are the ones currently sold as replacements and have a driven pin through the actuating lever that will cover your engine with oil from the constant leak. You could buy a new one of those and seal up the protruding pin and hope for the best, myself I through em away!

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

If you have an original Carter fuel pump with the glass bowl and stone filter on the bottom or the "tin" can with paper filter element in it, either is the best pump ever made. You can purchase rebuild kits and rebuild it.

On the other hand if you have one of the those cheap copies of a AC type pump made by Airtex and sold under many names even Carter with no filter and a laminated actuator lever. Those are the ones currently sold as replacements and have a driven pin through the actuating lever that will cover your engine with oil from the constant leak. You could buy a new one of those and seal up the protruding pin and hope for the best, myself I through em away!

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
      X