Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cute 52 'Roadster'

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...E:B:SS:CA:1123

Sorry for the long URL. I don't know how to use tinyurl to reduce it.

Overall, I really like this car. It reminds me a of a 60's sports car from the front. The slots right under the hood look like a little french moustache.

If it were mine, I would warm up the little six with some help from Cathcart and lower the stance. Unfortunately, a roadster is totally impractical here in the Pacific Northwest where we have been known to experience a little liquid sunshine from time to time.

Looks like a nice job, though. Check out the C body in the background as well.

Cheers.

"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
    Jim Mann
    Victoria, B.C.
    Canada
    \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
    Jim Mann
    Victoria, B.C.
    Canada

That's a pretty car, but I sure don't like what they did to the front track, it looks as wide as a BUS!

You usually don't see that, unless another make suspension or frame was used, but they seem to indicate it's mostly stock. [:0]

StudeRich
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

What would do if you got caught in the rain. Do they make umbrellas that big.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
      http://ozarktrails.tripod.com/
      Studebaker Diners Club
      7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
      http://ozarktrails.tripod.com/
      SDC Member 1985

Comment

The front end now reminds me a Karmann Ghia - needs some chrome in the front.
        Anyone recognize what they used for the bullet-shaped tag holder/light on the trunk? Not a Studebaker part IMO.
        Good bodywork - I like how they molded the windshield frame.
        Would look better lowered, too.

Chris Pile
        http://midwaystudebakers.tripod.com/
        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Rich,

I just compared this to to my 51 LC and the track on this roadster is wider both front and back. If the chassis is basically stock maybe he has used reversed wheel rims the move the tires outboard.

I like the wider track but it would be much better if the stance was lower. However, if it was lower down the tires might rub the front fenders. I find the stock width of track on the 50-52 cars too narrow compared to the body width.

Cheers.

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
          Jim Mann
          Victoria, B.C.
          Canada

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
          Jim Mann
          Victoria, B.C.
          Canada

Comment

I believe the license plate holder/light is either from a 50 or a 52 Champion so it might be stock. I have seen a bulletnose posted on the forum recently that has this same tag holder/light.

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
            Jim Mann
            Victoria, B.C.
            Canada

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
            Jim Mann
            Victoria, B.C.
            Canada

Comment

The license light was used on the lowest trim model in '51 (?). That's Custom, as opposed to Regal, etc. Not Kustom--oh, never mind. It [u]is</u> a Studebaker part.

KURTRUK
              (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln
              KURTRUK
              (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

The dash and steering wheel are indicitive of a custom trim level as well. This would have a been a very plain little sedan once. Now it's something pretty unique. Nice job.
                Hopefully a little frame stiffening was done, no tourque boxes on these floors.

www.studebakerhardtop.com

Comment

The listing says he reinforced the frame to compensate for the loss of stiffness in the body.

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
                  Jim Mann
                  Victoria, B.C.
                  Canada

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
                  Jim Mann
                  Victoria, B.C.
                  Canada

Comment

LOL it says "custom formed front bumper", but I'd swear it came off of a 1970 Ford Maverick... all in all pretty nice though.

Ron Johnston
                    1963 Studebaker Daytona HT

Comment

I really like that! Could be sold as a new car! (I have a thing for some old cars that are "brought up to date", sometimes) The only thing I don't like about it is the front end reminds me of one of those boat cars or a crosley.[B)]

Chris Dresbach

1940 Champion two door.
                      Parts of the 1952 Model N
                      1960s Prototype cart
                      Chris Dresbach

Comment

Wow! Nice job. Car is very cool and the owner must have really enjoyed the build. But! What makes me laugh is there are 20 bids so far to a total of $4500.00??? Are people just stupid or just like to participating in ebay? $ 4500.00 hardly buys the upholstry, let alone the parts. Why waste time! This car could not be built for under $20,000.00 and I dont even know what is in it because I did not take the time to look. But, most cars these days require about $30,000.00 in parts before you bolt anything together. Don't know what his reserve is but it has to be over 20 So let's get serious.
                        Sorry just wanted to vent a bit! Loved the car. Thanks for posting it as I would have missed it on ebay.[}]
                        Good Roads
                        Brian

Brian Woods
                        woodysrods@shaw.ca
                        1946 M Series (Shop Truck)
                        Brian Woods
                        woodysrods@shaw.ca
                        1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

I would shave the door handles and slam it. I agree if lowered the front wheels look like they would rub the way they are now.
                          I also would have went with bucket seats.
                          I have thought briefly about turning my 50 into a roadster but I like the look of the top (on and chopped) better.

Comment

quote:Posted by Woodysrods

Sorry just wanted to vent a bit! Loved the car.
                            Brian, Don't get to worked up about the bidding. It's typical Ebay style.

With over 5 days to go, those are just bids to get reminders and feel out how many folks are interested.

My 39 started at $999, took a few bid to about $4000 over the first five days. The bidding then got a bit more spirited until about 5 hours to go. Then it really got exciting in the last 2 hours.

If the bidding goes high early, you know you have a couple of newbies involved.

Check back after the auction and watch the bidding. It will all happen late.

Bob

, ,

Comment

I always thought roadsters were two-seaters?
                              Anyway, it looks like quality work. I like it.
                              Obviously intended for So-Cal or parade use only; wouldn't make much sense in central PA.
                              Started as a two door Custom sedan (dispensable?) and probably finished as an attraction for the marque.
                              Why?
                              Because he could.
                              Will it bring what it's worth?
                              Not in central PA.
                              Will everyone who sees it say the word Studebaker. You bet!
                              "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                              sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Working...
                              X