Aquired a prototype: Moon Cart. Never left ground

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aquired a prototype: Moon Cart. Never left ground

Well, got another Studebaker! Granted it is not self propeled, we are about 100% sure this is an authentic prorotype from the engineering building. I looked at it with Ed Reynolds and he said that if the SNM didn't want it, he would contact me. Well, the SNM didn't want it and I got it! Better pics to be posted soon.[]

Chris Dresbach

1940 Champion two door.
    Parts of the 1952 Model N
    Chris Dresbach

It will be interesting to learn what it is. I followed the thread before and still don't know. Good luck!

Comment

It will be interesting to figure out the intended use/thought for this......but....that looks perfect for loading up coolers and chairs for a day out on the BEACH!!!!

Is it possible that Palma could get a picture to Harold R. Johnson to see if he remembers the item?
      ChopStu

118 weeks till completion.
      61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach

Well, got another Studebaker! Granted it is not self propeled, we are about 100% sure this is an authentic prorotype from the engineering building. I looked at it with Ed Reynolds and he said that if the SNM didn't want it, he would contact me. Well, the SNM didn't want it and I got it! Better pics to be posted soon.[]

Chris Dresbach

1940 Champion two door.
        I think Dennis Lampert told me what it was, but I've forgotten.

JDP/Maryland
        JDP Maryland

Comment

Granted it is not self propeled,
          Well, use your feet, Fred! (Duh!)

...and make sure to keep it below highway speeds until you get the flat spots worked outta th' tires.[8D] LH

whirling dervish of misinformation

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 4961Studebaker
            Is it possible that Palma could get a picture to Harold R. Johnson to see if he remembers the item?
            ChopStu

118 weeks till completion.
            Absolutely!

Chris Dresbach

1940 Champion two door.
            1960s Prototype cart
            Chris Dresbach

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Lark Hunter

Granted it is not self propeled,
              Well, use your feet, Fred! (Duh!)

...and make sure to keep it below highway speeds until you get the flat spots worked outta th' tires.[8D] LH

whirling dervish of misinformation
              Well, you see that bar on the left end hanging on by a wire? Those are actually handle bars and it has a handle extension on the other side. It also does have (limited) steering. See those two rust colored plates in the middle? They have drive shaft ends welded on each plate and they hook toghether like a drive shaft to a transmission on a car. This would allow limited steering. Hard telling what this thing was supposed to be![?][][8]

Chris Dresbach

1940 Champion two door.
              1960s Prototype cart
              Chris Dresbach

Comment

Dennis at one time had told me he thought it was some kind of prototype stretcher for medical use for the military. At the time he told me that he was trying to remember for sure, but that was the best idea that he could remember. Something about the tires possibly floating if needed. it's been a while back...

Making resverations at the poor house parking lot for me and my 62 Lark..

Comment

Congratulations Chris, I hope you find out exactly what its intended purpose was. By the way, I got my '64 Hawk home today, I'll post pics later.

Autumn at Lake Barget
                  In the middle of Minnestudea
                  sigpic
                  In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Sweet Chris!!!!!

Dylan Wills
                    [IMG][/IMG]
                    '61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
                    Dylan Wills
                    Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                    1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
                    1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
                    1914 Ford Model T

Comment

quote:Originally posted by prager

Dennis at one time had told me he thought it was some kind of prototype stretcher for medical use for the military. At the time he told me that he was trying to remember for sure, but that was the best idea that he could remember. Something about the tires possibly floating if needed. it's been a while back...

Making resverations at the poor house parking lot for me and my 62 Lark..
                      That would be a really bad stretcher, you would fall right thru![B)][:0]

Chris Dresbach

1940 Champion two door.
                      1960s Prototype cart
                      Chris Dresbach

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Milaca

Congratulations Chris, I hope you find out exactly what its intended purpose was. By the way, I got my '64 Hawk home today, I'll post pics later.

Autumn at Lake Barget
                        In the middle of Minnestudea
                        Awesome!

Chris Dresbach

1940 Champion two door.
                        1960s Prototype cart
                        Chris Dresbach

Comment

Chris, it's up to you to give this Studebaker a model name. How about a Studebaker 'Whatisit'?
                          sigpic
                          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I think it is a prototype for a Fred Flintstone personal watercraft.
                            Frank van Doorn
                            Omaha, Ne.
                            1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                            1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                            1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

If it's a stretcher it might be just the bare frame of a stretcher. The board would probably slide over the spot the person "falls through". What they might have been going for is something for the person to able to be loaded and unloaded from a vehicle of equal height of the wheels. The person, instead of being raised and lowered like they do today with stretchers, is instead slid from one device to another device. The person would be elevated at one end, with their feet touching the frame or a stop at the other end. I wonder if this is the case, if it would be used like a furniture dolly in some instances, where the far end is slid under the person's feet and then the whole works is lowered down so it can be rolled on all four wheels?

[IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010531-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                              [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010550-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                              [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
                              [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                              1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                              1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                              1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Working...
                              X