Lark styling looks better now than when new

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lark styling looks better now than when new

I guess this is a purely subjective topic, but I find myself thinking this quite a bit lately. Since I've been coming to this forum and seeing so many Lark owners posting photos and talking about them, I've become quite a fan. I drove a 60 Lark VIII wagon in 1969-70 when the styling wasn't very popular at all. As a 16 year old, I was quite embarrassed to drive then car at first. Pulling into the high school parking lot in the midst of 55 Chevies, early-mid 60s Novas, Falcons, Mustangs, El Caminos, while you're driving a Lark wagon didn't stir up too many feelings of envy in 1969. But, even at 16, I didn't really have the itch to own a "cool" ride. Now, as I look back on the cars, they are really different, which is why I like them. They were a rather small car for their time, but as a daily driver in 2007, they fall into the larger, luxury size category. They just have a neat, conservative, period look that I find appealing. As a plus, at least in my eyes, they don't command the outrageous prices that a Mustang or Chevelle would from the same period. I owned several of the 50-52 sedans 15-20 years ago, but had little interest in the Larks at that time. Now, I find that my tastes are changing somewhat. One of these days............

I like the Larks too. I get so many comments when I drive mine--nobody knows what it is. The size is good, the ride is good and they are affordable.

Comment

I like the Larks too. I get so many comments when I drive mine--nobody knows what it is. The size is good, the ride is good and they are affordable.

Comment

As for me, the '59 thru '63 lark wagons are my heart beat, especially the two door models. At one time I owned a '59 two door, but I've also owned a '63 wagon 4dr with the sliding roof, and I will own one again someday. And if all the cosmic tumblers falling into place, I will re-own the one that I had to sell when I got divorced. Those years of larks carry a left over look of the '50s, and I like it. IMHO

Comment

As for me, the '59 thru '63 lark wagons are my heart beat, especially the two door models. At one time I owned a '59 two door, but I've also owned a '63 wagon 4dr with the sliding roof, and I will own one again someday. And if all the cosmic tumblers falling into place, I will re-own the one that I had to sell when I got divorced. Those years of larks carry a left over look of the '50s, and I like it. IMHO

Comment

I drove a Stude all through my school years.
            Then I moved away.
            But having returned many times for reunions, weddings, and unfortunately, funerals...
            I have noticed that a lot of people remember you for the car you drove.
            I get a lot of 'Do you still have that red Studebaker?' (to which I can say "Yes, I still do!")... Best time I heard that one was from the police chief. He said he could set his watch by hearing me run it through the gears on my way home from work[}].. Never stopped me or anything, because he said he knew where I was going and I wouldn't be causing any trouble
            To a 'T', all the guys said that they wished they still had their old car...
            Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by bullet_nose_stude

I guess this is a purely subjective topic, but I find myself thinking this quite a bit lately. Since I've been coming to this forum and seeing so many Lark owners posting photos and talking about them, I've become quite a fan. I drove a 60 Lark VIII wagon in 1969-70 when the styling wasn't very popular at all. As a 16 year old, I was quite embarrassed to drive then car at first. Pulling into the high school parking lot in the midst of 55 Chevies, early-mid 60s Novas, Falcons, Mustangs, El Caminos, while you're driving a Lark wagon didn't stir up too many feelings of envy in 1969. But, even at 16, I didn't really have the itch to own a "cool" ride. Now, as I look back on the cars, they are really different, which is why I like them. They were a rather small car for their time, but as a daily driver in 2007, they fall into the larger, luxury size category. They just have a neat, conservative, period look that I find appealing. As a plus, at least in my eyes, they don't command the outrageous prices that a Mustang or Chevelle would from the same period. I owned several of the 50-52 sedans 15-20 years ago, but had little interest in the Larks at that time. Now, I find that my tastes are changing somewhat. One of these days............

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
            Brooklet, Georgia
            '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
            '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
            '61 Hawk (project)
            http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I drove a Stude all through my school years.
              Then I moved away.
              But having returned many times for reunions, weddings, and unfortunately, funerals...
              I have noticed that a lot of people remember you for the car you drove.
              I get a lot of 'Do you still have that red Studebaker?' (to which I can say "Yes, I still do!")... Best time I heard that one was from the police chief. He said he could set his watch by hearing me run it through the gears on my way home from work[}].. Never stopped me or anything, because he said he knew where I was going and I wouldn't be causing any trouble
              To a 'T', all the guys said that they wished they still had their old car...
              Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by bullet_nose_stude

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
              Brooklet, Georgia
              '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
              '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
              '61 Hawk (project)
              http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

It is funny how your perception changes over time. I used to be embarassed to ride in my Grandfather's 50 Commander in 1956-57, but now I think the bullet nose Studebakers are great!

When the Larks came out, some of my friends asked me if I liked them. I thought they were boxy, but cute, but I thought they were an improvement over the 57-58s, especially the wagons.

I think the Lark looks much better next to this...

Than it did next to this...

But I think what influenced me more than anything is when my Mother traded our 58 Silver Hawk for a 61 Lark. I was dissapointed at first, but after I had driven it for a while, I really got to love it. I think it was more fun to drive than the Hawk. To me it is like a woman who is not a glamor queen, but when you get to know her and like her, she becomes so much better looking!

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

It is funny how your perception changes over time. I used to be embarassed to ride in my Grandfather's 50 Commander in 1956-57, but now I think the bullet nose Studebakers are great!

When the Larks came out, some of my friends asked me if I liked them. I thought they were boxy, but cute, but I thought they were an improvement over the 57-58s, especially the wagons.

I think the Lark looks much better next to this...

Than it did next to this...

But I think what influenced me more than anything is when my Mother traded our 58 Silver Hawk for a 61 Lark. I was dissapointed at first, but after I had driven it for a while, I really got to love it. I think it was more fun to drive than the Hawk. To me it is like a woman who is not a glamor queen, but when you get to know her and like her, she becomes so much better looking!

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

Want to see a 100K Mercedes or 75K Lexus immediately blend into the surrounding scenery? Just pull up next to one of these "flashy" luxury cars in any vintage Studebaker! It's fun seeing the aggressive look of early Larks and Champs being mimicked somewhat by today's auto manufacturers (namely DaimlerChrysler). With each passing year Studebakers keep getting better and better.

Studedude1961
                    --1963 Cruiser

Comment

Want to see a 100K Mercedes or 75K Lexus immediately blend into the surrounding scenery? Just pull up next to one of these "flashy" luxury cars in any vintage Studebaker! It's fun seeing the aggressive look of early Larks and Champs being mimicked somewhat by today's auto manufacturers (namely DaimlerChrysler). With each passing year Studebakers keep getting better and better.

Studedude1961
                      --1963 Cruiser

Comment

At the risk of sounding like an old guy...most new sedans (from the US, Japan and Europe) look alike to me...because of their MPG enhancing soft shapes.
                        So today anything unusual stands out.

My wife's (new style) Mini Cooper seems to get noticed as well as my two fun cars. You're right, cost has little to do with it..people like and will notice anything different...even that boxy Scion pictured above (my wife's least favorite car in the world).

63 Avanti R1 2788
                        1914 Stutz Bearcat
                        (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                        63 Avanti R1 2788
                        1914 Stutz Bearcat
                        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

At the risk of sounding like an old guy...most new sedans (from the US, Japan and Europe) look alike to me...because of their MPG enhancing soft shapes.
                          So today anything unusual stands out.

My wife's (new style) Mini Cooper seems to get noticed as well as my two fun cars. You're right, cost has little to do with it..people like and will notice anything different...even that boxy Scion pictured above (my wife's least favorite car in the world).

63 Avanti R1 2788
                          1914 Stutz Bearcat
                          (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                          63 Avanti R1 2788
                          1914 Stutz Bearcat
                          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

As a teenager during the '61-'65 time period, the Avanti was my "dream" car, so areodynamic and radically "different by design" from the "boxy" styles then prevalent.
                            But Avanti's did fit not within my family's budget, and much less their needs, a result we owned a succesion of Lark models, a '61, '62, '63, '64, '65, and a '66, of which the '64 was (and still is) my favorite model.
                            When I eventually did get behind the wheel of an Avanti, I wasn't as pleased with the design as I had previously imagined, and now with the passage of time and "areo styled everything" (my gawd! even Jeeps!!!?) the Avanti has lost its luster. I now much prefer the boxy crisp styling of Brooks Stevens school of design as exemplified in the '63-'66 period. It stands out in an era of lookalike vehicles. Of course the easy-entry "chair-higth" seats, flat floors, generous interiour dimensions, and large glass area, that all contribute to comfort and ease of operation are just extra icing on the cake!

Comment

As a teenager during the '61-'65 time period, the Avanti was my "dream" car, so areodynamic and radically "different by design" from the "boxy" styles then prevalent.
                              But Avanti's did fit not within my family's budget, and much less their needs, a result we owned a succesion of Lark models, a '61, '62, '63, '64, '65, and a '66, of which the '64 was (and still is) my favorite model.
                              When I eventually did get behind the wheel of an Avanti, I wasn't as pleased with the design as I had previously imagined, and now with the passage of time and "areo styled everything" (my gawd! even Jeeps!!!?) the Avanti has lost its luster. I now much prefer the boxy crisp styling of Brooks Stevens school of design as exemplified in the '63-'66 period. It stands out in an era of lookalike vehicles. Of course the easy-entry "chair-higth" seats, flat floors, generous interiour dimensions, and large glass area, that all contribute to comfort and ease of operation are just extra icing on the cake!

Comment

Working...
                              X