Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Lark Fire Dept Vehicle

black hawk

Sorry I forgot to explain the Fire Dept Lark vehicle picture before I hit the submit button. This is a picture my son Mike and I taken in 1968 when I was Captain of the Mishawaka Fire Department fire inspection bureau. Mishawaka borders South Bend on the East side for those of you that have never heard of it. I believe it was a Lark Wagonaire 1963 model. I believe this because I went on the Fire department in 1964 and they had the car then. It had a V-8 engine, but no options to speak of. So it was pretty well standard issue as most cities don't provide for many options. But it was a great car for the type of use I had for it. Even used it once for an emergency transport for a large man having breathing problems. The sliding roof worked out very well in that case. The bubble gum light on top was not very effective for emergency use, compared to today's emergency lights.

black hawk

Comment

Looks like a personal (private) photo, are you or do you know either one of the people?

It looks like a '64 Commander or a Commander-like H.D. Wagon or Wagonaire. [^]

StudeRich
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

very cool. the front fender looks like a 64 to me - would that be possible?

--george

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175
        53-54 C/Ks, 55 Speedsters, 63 Daytonas, Wagonaires Registries

Comment

George -- Maybe it was a 1964, I can't remember that far back it's been 42 years since then. I did go on the department in June 1964. Could be it was a 1964 because they usually introduced and started selling in the previous Sept or so for the coming year models. .... jim

black hawk

Comment

quote:Originally posted by ClaymoreWW

very cool. the front fender looks like a 64 to me - would that be possible?--george
            Yes, whenever possible barring any strikes like 1955, the new models came out in Sept. each year as Jim said, usually behind papered over dealer showroom windows, so the photo could have been taken in '63. [^]

StudeRich
            StudeRich

Comment

It certainly looks like a 64 to me. The indentation on the front fender, the "Commander" trim on the fenders, doors, etc, and the name affixed to the front fender tell me it's a 64. The other thing is at the front fender, the area around sides of the headlights had a bit of an angular recess from the top of the fender to the bumper like the headlights were "hooded".

[IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010531-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
              [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010550-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
              [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
              [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
              1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
              1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
              1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

StudeRich-You might want to check my post again. The picture was actually taken in 1968. You are right about the big build up to the introduction of new car models. My Dad was really into going to the dealerships in South Bend & Mishawaka just to see all new car manufacturers models. As a kid I really looked forward to going with him for an exciting look at the cars, collecting literature and loving that new car smell. I do remember the windows of some dealerships being papered over along with the car haulers coming into town with the cars all covered up until that big day. We didn't have a lot to do in those days, but I have never forgotten them. Studebaker of course was my favorite because we had so many relatives and friends working there. -Jim

black hawk

Comment

Neat period photo!
                  Thanks for sharing.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                  63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

There's one very obvious, but often overlooked way to tell at a glance that this car is later than '63. What is it?
                    Hint, you don't have to be able to see the front end at all.

Comment

I'll bite. The hubcaps.

Comment

The trim?

Dylan Wills
                        [IMG][/IMG]
                        '61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
                        Dylan Wills
                        Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                        1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
                        1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
                        1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Dwain G. - I am really curious now what is it you see that makes the car later than a 1963 ? As I stated in these post's It could be a 1964. What were the years that these Lark Wagonaire's with a sliding roof built ? Some where I thought I read they were only built for three years. Am I wrong in that ? I recall this Lark was on the department when I came on in June of 1964. I was asigned this car in Sept 1967 and drove it through Sept of 1969. The picture I provided was taken in 1968. Please share your observations- Jim

black hawk

Comment

I can't believe there are still a few people on this post saying this '64 COMMANDER Wagonaire COULD BE a '63! [:0] [:0] [:0]
                            Even the man who drove it for two years! [:0]

The '63 models do not have a flat dogleg between the Wheelwell and front bumper, do not have the '64-'65 Commander flat not rounded bodyside moulding that goes THROUGH the door handles, and have Lark Type front fenders that round down to the headlights, not Challenger, Commander, Daytona or Cruiser type like this, not to mention the smooth '64-'66 hubcaps.

Wagonaires were built from '63 to '66, FOUR years, and Wagonaire looking fixed roof Wagons I believe in '63 & '64 only, not sure about Canadian built '65-'66's.

Here is a 1963 LARK Regal Wagonaire.

StudeRich
                            StudeRich

Comment

Working...
                            X