• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AlternativePower

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...9507374&rd=1,1

Y BLOCK- STUDEBAKER TRANS ADAPTOR

Why [?]

I'm sure if we all dug hard we could find at least one area where a small block Chevy might be as good as a Stude V8...I'm hard pressed to do the same with a Y block Ford [V]

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Way back in the '50's, before the SBC came into its own, the Ford V-8 (flathead) was the most dominant hot rod engine, and those new Ford Thunderbird V-8s were still a hot and desirable item, no doubt to the rodders back then this adapter would have appeared to be the answer to their dreams.

Comment

Way back in the '50's, before the SBC came into its own, the Ford V-8 (flathead) was the most dominant hot rod engine, and those new Ford Thunderbird V-8s were still a hot and desirable item, no doubt to the rodders back then this adapter would have appeared to be the answer to their dreams.

Comment

When I was in high school, I was buying and trading cars about every 3 months and I owned a 56 Ford for a short while. It had the 292 (Thunderbird...yeah, right!) Y-block with Fordomatic. It was a Dog with a capital "D". I let a friend drive it and I drove my Mother's 61 Lark (259 automatic) and we raced them and there was no contest! The Lark left the Ford in the dust.

I think that Ford's reputation as the hot rod king lingered on with the overhead valve Y-blocks, until the Ford guys realized it was a hopeless case. I know some people got them to run good, but they never could regain the reputation that the flathead had. Of course in 1952, the OHV Ford 6 was faster than the V8 flathead!

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

When I was in high school, I was buying and trading cars about every 3 months and I owned a 56 Ford for a short while. It had the 292 (Thunderbird...yeah, right!) Y-block with Fordomatic. It was a Dog with a capital "D". I let a friend drive it and I drove my Mother's 61 Lark (259 automatic) and we raced them and there was no contest! The Lark left the Ford in the dust.

I think that Ford's reputation as the hot rod king lingered on with the overhead valve Y-blocks, until the Ford guys realized it was a hopeless case. I know some people got them to run good, but they never could regain the reputation that the flathead had. Of course in 1952, the OHV Ford 6 was faster than the V8 flathead!

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

By the way, I still have a piece of that Ford. I am using it for a towel bar in my bathroom!

Comment

By the way, I still have a piece of that Ford. I am using it for a towel bar in my bathroom!

Comment

Your post reminded me of a peculiar thing from the days of my youth back in the '50s. In the small farm community where I grew up, almost all of the rodding activity centered around Ford products, "Hot Rods" simply were Fords, wether flatty powered, or with swapped in OHV V-8s, all of the other makes were just "old cars".
                What was peculiar is that almost all of the Fords were originally ordered from the factory with a V-8, while most of the local '55-'57 Chevys were being ordered with the 6 cyl. In fact one of the few V-8 equipped '57 Chevy's in our town, was powered by a STUDEBAKER V-8!
                As the '50s gave way to the '60s I and my young compatriots were involved in a LOT of engine changing, replacing those blown-up Y-blocks in the Fords, and V-8ing all of those old "sick cylinders" Chevys that the older generation had passed on down to us.

Comment

Your post reminded me of a peculiar thing from the days of my youth back in the '50s. In the small farm community where I grew up, almost all of the rodding activity centered around Ford products, "Hot Rods" simply were Fords, wether flatty powered, or with swapped in OHV V-8s, all of the other makes were just "old cars".
                  What was peculiar is that almost all of the Fords were originally ordered from the factory with a V-8, while most of the local '55-'57 Chevys were being ordered with the 6 cyl. In fact one of the few V-8 equipped '57 Chevy's in our town, was powered by a STUDEBAKER V-8!
                  As the '50s gave way to the '60s I and my young compatriots were involved in a LOT of engine changing, replacing those blown-up Y-blocks in the Fords, and V-8ing all of those old "sick cylinders" Chevys that the older generation had passed on down to us.

Comment

Working...
                  X