What is your longest Studebaker trip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your longest Studebaker trip?

In 1987, I bought a 51 Commander Land Cruiser w/V8 auto from a man in Sallisaw, OK. It was July 4th weekend. We drove from Knoxville, TN to Sallisaw, looked at the car, paid for it, and headed back home. I don't recall the exact distance now, but it seems like it was between 700-800 miles. Man it was so hot, it would take your breath. That Stude was Maui Blue with wide whites and full wheel covers. I will never forget the rubberneckers on I-40 all the way back. I'll also never forget a really sharp looking white Porsche pulling up beside me, honking the horn, and the driver flashing me a thumbs up. The driver was an equally sharp looking blonde bombshell with a huge, friendly smile. I'm sure my smile was equally huge & friendly, although I couldn't let on too much, due to the fact that my wife was following closely behind me in a pickup truck. The Stude gas gauge didn't work, and I didn't know how much gas it was using, so I stopped every 200 miles or so. Just about every time I filled up with gas, I had to dump in a quart of oil. I was crazy for ever selling that car. I kept it until 1990 when i bought a 54 Chrysler New Yorker Town & Country Wagon. My wife is still mad at me for selling the Stude. Live and learn.

Longest trip in my Starliner was 3,624 miles (San Francisco, LA, Lincoln, and back to San Francisco) in 10 days on AmeriCruise.

Longest single day trip was Santa Cruz, CA to Bellingham, WA (1,000 miles) in 17 hours straight.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Longest trip in my Starliner was 3,624 miles (San Francisco, LA, Lincoln, and back to San Francisco) in 10 days on AmeriCruise.

Longest single day trip was Santa Cruz, CA to Bellingham, WA (1,000 miles) in 17 hours straight.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Boy oh boy-- where to start? I've been known to drive great distances for a show, or just to drive~ and I have many 'long distance' awards to prove it!!! I'm not too sure which trip would be the longest, but I'll list some of the ones that were the most fun or just plain long drives~

In 'Sweet Pea'-

[u]San Diego, CA to Chillawack, BC- Canada</u>-
        My famous 'Border to Border, and Then Over it Tour'. I made this trip for the Pacific CanAm Zone Meet in 1999. I won two awards- Long Distance USA, and 3rd in Class '64-'66 cars.
        [u]San Diego, CA to Jacksonville, FL</u>-
        I had a 4x8 U-Haul trailer in tow!!! This was a Navy move I did in August 1999.
        [u]Jacksonville, FL to Stanton, MI</u>-
        by way of the TriState Meet in NC, and the Stude National Museum. I wanted to go to the PSMCDrags, might as well combine a few other sites while in the area, right? This trip was made in September 2001- I was in the Museum for my first time that fateful day...
        [u]Virginia Beach, VA to Everett, WA</u>-
        My return trip from the East Coast prior to being sent overseas for a year. I also towed a trailer on this trip which was made in October 2003. Sweet Pea got a fresh paint job in return for all the hard work...

In 'Baby'-

[u]Los Angeles, CA to Jacksonville, FL </u>-
        Shortly after I bought her, I decided to bring her 'home'. Dad made this trip with me- least there be any problems- there were a few...
        [u]Jacksonville, FL to San Diego, CA by way of South Bend, IN </u>-
        I had to store her prior to my transfer to Diego Garcia, so what better way to prepare for a long Stude-less year then with an International Meet!!!

StudeDave [8D]
        V/P San Diego County SDC
        San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr 'Ruby'
        '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
        '57 Commander 2dr 'Baby'
        '57 Champion 2dr 'Jewel'
        '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
        '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
        StudeDave '57
        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
        SDC Member since 1985

past President
        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
        San Diego Chapter SDC
        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Boy oh boy-- where to start? I've been known to drive great distances for a show, or just to drive~ and I have many 'long distance' awards to prove it!!! I'm not too sure which trip would be the longest, but I'll list some of the ones that were the most fun or just plain long drives~

In 'Sweet Pea'-

[u]San Diego, CA to Chillawack, BC- Canada</u>-
          My famous 'Border to Border, and Then Over it Tour'. I made this trip for the Pacific CanAm Zone Meet in 1999. I won two awards- Long Distance USA, and 3rd in Class '64-'66 cars.
          [u]San Diego, CA to Jacksonville, FL</u>-
          I had a 4x8 U-Haul trailer in tow!!! This was a Navy move I did in August 1999.
          [u]Jacksonville, FL to Stanton, MI</u>-
          by way of the TriState Meet in NC, and the Stude National Museum. I wanted to go to the PSMCDrags, might as well combine a few other sites while in the area, right? This trip was made in September 2001- I was in the Museum for my first time that fateful day...
          [u]Virginia Beach, VA to Everett, WA</u>-
          My return trip from the East Coast prior to being sent overseas for a year. I also towed a trailer on this trip which was made in October 2003. Sweet Pea got a fresh paint job in return for all the hard work...

In 'Baby'-

[u]Los Angeles, CA to Jacksonville, FL </u>-
          Shortly after I bought her, I decided to bring her 'home'. Dad made this trip with me- least there be any problems- there were a few...
          [u]Jacksonville, FL to San Diego, CA by way of South Bend, IN </u>-
          I had to store her prior to my transfer to Diego Garcia, so what better way to prepare for a long Stude-less year then with an International Meet!!!

StudeDave [8D]
          V/P San Diego County SDC
          San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr 'Ruby'
          '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
          '57 Commander 2dr 'Baby'
          '57 Champion 2dr 'Jewel'
          '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
          '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
          StudeDave '57
          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
          SDC Member since 1985

past President
          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
          San Diego Chapter SDC
          North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Well, I don't have anything to brag about, but my longest distance trip with a Studebaker was in the late '70's. A round trip from Charlottesville, VA to Norfolk, VA in a 1961 5E14-131 wrecker. That's a distance of approximately 400 miles. The return trip was towing a Studebaker Cruiser, the year of which I fail to remember. It was in the summer and it really was not a very pleasant trip. My butt had calluses when I got home that evening.

Frank Drumheller
            '60 Lark Regal VI 4 door Sedan
            '48 M16-52 Studebaker/Boyer Fire Truck
            + about 16 junquers

Comment

Well, I don't have anything to brag about, but my longest distance trip with a Studebaker was in the late '70's. A round trip from Charlottesville, VA to Norfolk, VA in a 1961 5E14-131 wrecker. That's a distance of approximately 400 miles. The return trip was towing a Studebaker Cruiser, the year of which I fail to remember. It was in the summer and it really was not a very pleasant trip. My butt had calluses when I got home that evening.

Frank Drumheller
              '60 Lark Regal VI 4 door Sedan
              '48 M16-52 Studebaker/Boyer Fire Truck
              + about 16 junquers

Comment

Well ours was just this past year . We left Ont here near Niagarag falls and headed south to Durant OK to visit the wifes relatives down there . While there we had to cross over into Texas ( just to say we did ) Then we headed north to Omaha to the international meet. Then back to South bend for a couple days before heading back home to Canada....a total of around 3200 miles....was a great trip. And all this in a truck no less !

HOME of THE FRIED GREEN TOMATO

1950 2R5
                1960 Lark 2dr
                1960 Champ
                1964 Daytona HT
                sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Well ours was just this past year . We left Ont here near Niagarag falls and headed south to Durant OK to visit the wifes relatives down there . While there we had to cross over into Texas ( just to say we did ) Then we headed north to Omaha to the international meet. Then back to South bend for a couple days before heading back home to Canada....a total of around 3200 miles....was a great trip. And all this in a truck no less !

HOME of THE FRIED GREEN TOMATO

1950 2R5
                  1960 Lark 2dr
                  1960 Champ
                  1964 Daytona HT
                  sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

In 1983, my wife, 5 year old son, and I drove our 55 Commander hardtop to the South Bend meet, then went to Auburn, IN to the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Museum and then to Indianapolious Speedway, then back home. In 1984 we drove it to the Orlando meet and went on the beach at Daytona on the way home. Each trip was a little over 1500 miles.

Here is a picture of my wife and son on Daytona Beach in 1984.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

In 1983, my wife, 5 year old son, and I drove our 55 Commander hardtop to the South Bend meet, then went to Auburn, IN to the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Museum and then to Indianapolious Speedway, then back home. In 1984 we drove it to the Orlando meet and went on the beach at Daytona on the way home. Each trip was a little over 1500 miles.

Here is a picture of my wife and son on Daytona Beach in 1984.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

Well nothing to brag about but here they are. My dad made several trips from Placerville, CA to Akron, CO. Its about 2600 miles round trip. He drove his 63 Avanti R2 and averaged 20 mpg. The longest I've made is a 400 mile round trip. We went from Placerville, CA to Truckee in our '58 4x4(the one in the pictures below). It was August and very hot. We also had a gooseneck trailer with a Jeep on it for a total of 9500lbs. We also had one spark plug that wasn't firing and the valve cover gaskets kept blowing out every 20 or 30 miles. The trip wasn't very long in miles but it took us 12 hours just to get there. Once we got there we replaced the gaskets and had no more trouble.

Jake

-Home of John Studebaker-
                        http://community.webshots.com/user/Stude4x4
                        http://varozza4x4.com

Comment

Well nothing to brag about but here they are. My dad made several trips from Placerville, CA to Akron, CO. Its about 2600 miles round trip. He drove his 63 Avanti R2 and averaged 20 mpg. The longest I've made is a 400 mile round trip. We went from Placerville, CA to Truckee in our '58 4x4(the one in the pictures below). It was August and very hot. We also had a gooseneck trailer with a Jeep on it for a total of 9500lbs. We also had one spark plug that wasn't firing and the valve cover gaskets kept blowing out every 20 or 30 miles. The trip wasn't very long in miles but it took us 12 hours just to get there. Once we got there we replaced the gaskets and had no more trouble.

Jake

-Home of John Studebaker-
                          http://community.webshots.com/user/Stude4x4
                          http://varozza4x4.com

Comment

All seven of us couples in the Potomac Chapter drove Studebakers ('54 3R5 w/air conditioning, '55 President State sedan, '57 Transtar 1/2-ton 5-speed od, '59 Lark hardtop, '60 Lark hardtop, '62 Lark convertible and my '64 R-2 Avanti) drove from New Market, Virginia to Santa Monica, CA and back, about 6,000 miles, in May-June, 2003.
                            Personal trip- Our family of four drove our '64 Champ (8E7) from the SF Bay Area to Seattle to Yellowstone, Jackson Hole, Nebraska, Kansas and on to Boston in the summer of '71. I was pulling an 18-foot Shasta travel trailer the entire distance.
                            BTW- we (Potomac Chapter) are leaving Chambersburg, PA on May 20 (2007) to drive the old Lincoln Highway all the way to the western terminus in San Francisco and back.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson
                            '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                            '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                            '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                            Museum R-4 engine
                            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

All seven of us couples in the Potomac Chapter drove Studebakers ('54 3R5 w/air conditioning, '55 President State sedan, '57 Transtar 1/2-ton 5-speed od, '59 Lark hardtop, '60 Lark hardtop, '62 Lark convertible and my '64 R-2 Avanti) drove from New Market, Virginia to Santa Monica, CA and back, about 6,000 miles, in May-June, 2003.
                              Personal trip- Our family of four drove our '64 Champ (8E7) from the SF Bay Area to Seattle to Yellowstone, Jackson Hole, Nebraska, Kansas and on to Boston in the summer of '71. I was pulling an 18-foot Shasta travel trailer the entire distance.
                              BTW- we (Potomac Chapter) are leaving Chambersburg, PA on May 20 (2007) to drive the old Lincoln Highway all the way to the western terminus in San Francisco and back.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson
                              '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                              '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                              '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                              Museum R-4 engine
                              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
                              X