Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Granatelli takes 3 Avantis to Bonneville (?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alan
    replied
    John, On Sept. 16, 1963 the #9 car ran,
    Flying K. 170.78
    Flying Mile 170.75
    Flying 5K 170.63
    Flying 5M 170.20
    Flying 10K 169.96
    Flying 10M 166.66
    All on the Allstate Bonneville Tires. The car went to a museum where it sat for a while before John Hora bought it.

Leave a comment:

• Johnnywiffer
    replied
    So #9, that went 161 mph on Sears tires, now has Michelins? Wonder if it will go any faster... And what happened to the Sears?

John

Leave a comment:

• Gunslinger
    replied
    Originally posted by Alan View Post
    The #8 Red car was owned by a guy named Ray Cash, he was in Burbank. It was number R1014. He sold it sometime in 66. But I don't know to who. I do know that in 1977 it was owned by a Robert A Nicholson of Midwest City OK.
    The #8 car is a few miles from me in a shop. It's owned by someone living on Maryland's Eastern Shore...not sure of his name or whether he would like his name mentioned even if I was sure of it.

Leave a comment:

• JGK 940
    replied
    Originally posted by Rerun View Post
    The picture that shows the roll cage support strut going through the rear seat is interesting. It appears that it would be headed right into the gas tank. Did this vehicle possibly have a fuel cell in the trunk?
    Absolutely correct.

(I only wanted to say, "Bingo," but the Ghost in the Machine demanded more than ten letters in my reply...)

Leave a comment:

• Alan
    replied
    The #8 Red car was owned by a guy named Ray Cash, he was in Burbank. It was number R1014. He sold it sometime in 66. But I don't know to who. I do know that in 1977 it was owned by a Robert A Nicholson of Midwest City OK.
    Last edited by Alan; 09-26-2010, 08:53 PM. Reason: To add

Leave a comment:

• WCP
    replied
    The steering wheel also appears to be missing the the enlarged hand holds and chrome or SS trim rings bordering that section. It is possible that the wheel is an early prototype, or simply a later recast restoration. I also notice that the induction elbow is missing to the supercharger intake.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Speed 53
    replied
    It is great to sww the the number 9 car is well preserved and in good hands. I am lucky to have an R-3 in my Avanti and was told it was the last one to be built with R-3 heads and has the R-5 pistons in it. The steering wheel in #9 is also very interesting,would like more info on that. Ed

Leave a comment:

• kmul221
    replied
    Could the red one be 63R 5650 that I found & ran in the forum.The owner said the car was red before he painted it white,it was one of 3 experimental cars sent to Granatelli,the owner said he has photos of the car at Salt flats.It hasn,t turned a wheel since 75.Engine # is EX 2132

Leave a comment:

• StudeMichael
    replied
    Interesting steering wheel. It appears like every other Avanti steering wheel however it has additional grooves in it. Would that be an R3 steering wheel?

Leave a comment:

• Sdude
    replied
    The number 9 has recently been moved in the California Automobile Museum. It is now displayed right inside the entrance to the museum in a Bonneville display. It does run and as the pictures show it is in pristine condition. It is John Hora's car.

Go see it.

Leave a comment:

• Alan
    replied
    That car belongs to John Hora, here in the L.A. area and one of the founders of the AOIA.

Leave a comment:

• 1952stude
    replied
    I worked at studebakers when Granatelli came to pick some avantis but i did not see what he did to them because i worked on the 4th floor befor the body met the frams.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Andrews
    replied
    That car's just begging to be taken out and thrashed...

Leave a comment:

• Rerun
    replied
    The picture that shows the roll cage support strut going through the rear seat is interesting. It appears that it would be headed right into the gas tank. Did this vehicle possibly have a fuel cell in the trunk?

Leave a comment:

• sbca96
    replied
    "only 10 mph" .. it doesnt seem like much, but when you are talking about 160 vs 170
    mph, its a decent amount of HP required between the two. Its not like 60 vs 70 mph.

Tom

Leave a comment:

Working...
X