Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Granatelli takes 3 Avantis to Bonneville (?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Granatelli takes 3 Avantis to Bonneville (?)

The video on youtube says they took three Avantis to Bonneville. The one shown in the video is red. Same color red as the Sherwood R3 Avanti. On the car transporter it looks like there is another red Avanti and a lighter colored Avanti. I bet the third one is gold colored and it is that Avanti which actually made the runs which set the records.
    Which of these Avantis still exist and is being restored?

I know the #8 and #9 Avanti's still exist. The #9, which took the records, is in California. The #8 car is in a shop less than ten miles from me having its engine rebuilt (unfortunately, while a genuine R3 engine, is not the R3 it was equipped with at Bonneville). The third car could be the Due Cento, which does still exist, or it could be the Sears Allstate promo car Paula Murphy and Barb Neiland ran coast-to-coast and was driven on the Salt Flats as well. There could also a different car for all I know. Whether the Allstate car still exists I have no idea. Maybe someone else can answer that.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Number nine was a gold Avanti? Number eight was red? Due Cento was (is) what color? Due Cento is the Avanti that was used for several historical events (or runs) correct? Which "reincarnation" is it being restored as?
      I think the Sears Allstate Avanti is the sole R3 Avanti in Black and its location was reported on the forum some time back. It is one of the factory nine R3 Avantis. Correct me if I am wrong.

Comment

I believe the Sears car was an R2...it definitely had round headlights and I think was a light color. Some pics show it full of graphics promoting Sears and Studebaker.

Comment

The Allstate cross-country car still exists and it is not an R3. Is that the same car that was run at Bonneville?

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

The only factory R3 Avanti painted black was a promotional car of some kind was is not?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by herbpcpa

The only factory R3 Avanti painted black was a promotional car of some kind was is not?
              I am thinking that 5237 and 5625 were both black R3s. Please correct me if I am incorrect on this.

Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

You forgot to post a link to the video so here is one from 1963 which is hopefully the one you're talking about. Did he really say it would go 172 mph?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG8pdR6VAXw

1950 Champion 2 Dr. Sedan

1949 Studebaker 2R5 half ton pickup...

Comment

Yes 5237 and 5625 were both black R3 Avantis.

Comment

Could an R2 Avanti go 161.29 mph?

quote:Originally posted by Gunslinger

I believe the Sears car was an R2...it definitely had round headlights and I think was a light color. Some pics show it full of graphics promoting Sears and Studebaker.

Comment

[quote]quote:Originally posted by herbpcpa

Could an R2 Avanti go 161.29 mph?

Originally posted by Gunslinger
                      YES AN R2 COULD DEFINETLY GO 161.29 MPH.

But don't try this at home....

John

63R-2386 under restoration & modification
                      sigpic
                      John
                      63R-2386
                      Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Heard a story how a mechanic worked on a fellas R2 Avanti and road tested it and clocked at 160mph by state police.

Joseph R. Zeiger
                        Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Granatelli developed the R3 and only gained 10 mph over the R2? Guess the magic is all in the gears in the rear end.
                          What did Granatelli do with the "Due Cento"? What is it famous for?
                          What color are Avantis #8 ,#9 and Due Cento?

Comment

I understand the R3 did 170mph out of the factory! musta took a little sweat to hit the 196.6mph.

Joseph R. Zeiger
                            Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

The car in the poster with Paula Murphy standing next to[img][/img] it is Gold and still has the #9 on it's doors. It is curently sitting in the California Automobile Museum in Sacramento. I took pictures of it and got a close up look last month. It's slated to go to another museum soon. So if you want to see it you better get to Sacramento soon.
                              Silver Hawk Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X