Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whatever happened to brake banjo fittings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blue55
    replied
    i think it may be a result of the parts stores hiring idiots who don't know anything about old cars. I can't even go to my Local Napa store anymore, because they only have"catalog" parts people. "who made Studebaker?" is good clue . Now when i was doing the brakes and carburetor on my 51 Henry J, i had a lot of fun. They just gave me a catalog and went away, which made my life much easier. Aside from having an argument with a parts guy, who claimed there was no such thing as a Henry J. I had to drag him to the parking lot, and ask him what the hell I had driven to the store.He still claimed it was a weird looking Buick.

they just keep following me home

Leave a comment:

• Thomas63R2
    replied
    Many long years ago I was a parts counterman, for ten years actually. There are lots of parts that I once remember as common, that are now difficult to find. I don't blame it on the bean counters per se; I just think it is an outgrowth of modern cars being more reliable, more well made, less leaks, etc. A lot of the parts that we lament for not being as easy to find, just don't need replacing as often as they once did. Also, the older cars that do have a need for these kinds of parts are hobby cars, rather than the modern daily drivers that the typical auto parts store targets.

Thomas

Leave a comment:

• 52 Ragtop
    replied
    Autozone carries a few, but you must ask for them, they are behind the counter. NAPA also has them, (I buy mine thru NAPA) there ARE different lengths on the banjo bolts! Look at them carefully.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• raoul5788
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by PackardV8

With bad puns like these, Bill Monroe is spinning in his grave and Bela Fleck is sending someone over to smack you guys.

thnx jack vines

PackardV8
    Not many in the same league with those two!

Chip
    '63 Cruiser daily driver
    '57 Packard wagon on the road!

Leave a comment:

• 55s
    replied
    Everything from fittings, clips, stainless screws - almost every part - is getting very difficult to find. In addition, specialized tools are becoming harder to find.

Reasons:

(1) Getting the maximum amount of inventory turns per year. The philosophy is that if a product does not sell often, it should not be stocked. They *might* have a book where they can special order it for you. In other words, let your supplier stock the slow moving part.

(2) Why fix it with parts when you can buy a new one cheaply.

(3) Fewer people are capable of fixing anything.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    S.I. Catalog, Pg. 236.

StudeRich

Leave a comment:

• bob40
    replied
    Brake and equipment.(800) 233-4053

Toll free call and I'll bet they have what you need.

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    With bad puns like these, Bill Monroe is spinning in his grave and Bela Fleck is sending someone over to smack you guys.

Yes, there are plenty of aftermarket banjo fittings with the AN3 and AN4 male flare fittings. However, I did an extensive search and nowhere on line, Summit, Jegs, Speedway, Earls, did I find the old 1/8" female double flare double outlet brake line type.

Not saying it is not for sale somewhere, but a solid hour of web searching didn't find it for me. Appreciate anyone who does find it post a link here.

thnx jack vines

PackardV8

Leave a comment:

• coyote
    replied
    I've bought them before from Inline Tube, and Classic Tube. They have all sorts of brake related hardware, not just the lines.

Steve
    Minden, Nevada

1960 Hawk R2 4 speed project

Leave a comment:

• Neal in NM
    replied
    Wish I had some snappy comeback[}]! I just picked up a new brake hose for my project and it had the banjo fitting crimped on one end. The donor vehicle is a '01 vintage, so they are still in use. The problem may be that the counter persons are literate when it comes to auto parts. It could also be that keeping a box of small parts is not fiscally sound to the bean counters because of the issues of pilfering and inventory. Neal

Leave a comment:

• barnlark
    replied
    I think they were playing bluegrass the last time I was at Summit. At least they know what a banjo fitting is and list them with support parts. For a C-cab? That may be an actual Stude vendor packrat part...thankfully.

http://tinyurl.com/yk22g5n

Leave a comment:

• ChampTrucking
    replied
    Do I detect a twang of humor here?

Leave a comment:

• Guido
    replied
    Try not to string us along on the outcome.....[B)]

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Leave a comment:

• Invalid User Name
    replied
    I'm going to stay tuned in to this thread.

Doug
    Venice, Florida
    1950 Champion
    9G F1

Leave a comment:

• bams50
    replied
    Whatever happenedto banjo fittings?

Must have played out...........................

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
    Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Leave a comment:

Working...
X