62 hardtop has a new home/stepping back a while

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 62 hardtop has a new home/stepping back a while

I received the check for Lola (my 62 hardtop) today. She is now officially sold and will be relocating to Louisiana. I arranged my body shop to do the repair for the new owner and as soon as the hood is repainted, she'll be making her way to the old south. I ended up buying one of the other Indiana made cars... a new Subaru. I'm probably going to be taking a hiatus from owning a Studebaker for a while, but will monitor the forum. I need some time before I even think about touching another. The new owner is a Studebaker collector, so she will have a good home. I want to thank everyone for the well wishes and help through the many trials with this car. The one piece of advice I have out of this situation is never buy a car without seeing and checking it out. One person's perception many not be the others reality. This was an expensive/frustrating lesson.

Dare to be different... Drive your Studebaker!!

Sorry you had a bad experience[V] I would not recommend
    anyone buying any car, they don't look at, unless they
    are buying a parts car, or one extremely cheap.

Tex in Alabama

Comment

I made an 9 hour round trip drive to North Carolina yesterday to look at a 1984 Ford 700 with a chicken litter spreader body on it. The owner had given it glowing praises and told me all the work he had done to it including a new distributor, new carburetor, complete tune up, new universal joints, etc. He said the truck had new tires and the spreader body had been replaced and was in good shape.

When I arrived I was surprised to see the tires with less than 50% tread, severe rust in the litter body fore and aft, a stretched walking floor chain and no evidence of any work done on the driveshaft. After locating the owner, he said he hoped it would start. It spun over a few times before the battery died. He had to jump it and it stalled out half a dozen times before it would remain running.

I asked him to demonstrate the operation of the bed. He tried for 30 minutes to get the PTO to engage, but the cable was apparently frozen. I finally shut off the truck and told him that I needed to get back home and would contact him if I had any interest. I was about 15 minutes up the road when his wife called and said the truck was now working if I wanted to come back and take a look. I declined, telling her I had a date with Cracker Barrel for lunch.

The bottom line it appeared the truck had not been used in months, the inspection (rejection?) sticker was in a 100 pieces on the floor where it was peeled off and the truck was worth less than 1/2 of his $10,500 asking price. Given that he knew well in advance I was coming, you would have thought he would have at least charged the battery and gotten it operational. A wasted day, but now I won't be regretting never having checked it out.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.
      Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Gary, I must compliment you on your calm recount of yesterday's trip. I would have needed more than Cracker Barrel after that one.

Comment

Not to further hijack the thread, but when you are unemployed, you only have time to burn.... Now if it had been a Studebaker, that would be a different story.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.
          Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

lol..thankfully I've not had the employment issue.. burning Studebaker issue..yes..lol. Life has been much simpler now that I'm not dependent on 50yr old technology. Kind of a novel idea, flip the key and off you go.

Comment

I too am without a Studebaker at the moment, but don't think for a minute that you're out of the woods with a modern vehicle. At least if a Studebaker quits running, you can fix it and get it running again for little or nothing. With these modern cars, it's a trip to the shop[}]

Mark Anderson
              Member SDC and FMCA
              Keeper of the Studebaker Cruiser Registry
              www.65cruiser.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 65cruiser

I too am without a Studebaker at the moment, but don't think for a minute that you're out of the woods with a modern vehicle. At least if a Studebaker quits running, you can fix it and get it running again for little or nothing. With these modern cars, it's a trip to the shop[}]

Mark Anderson
                Member SDC and FMCA
                Keeper of the Studebaker Cruiser Registry
                www.65cruiser.com

And a trip to the bank.

Comment

this is true, but it has a warantee and I don't have to pay to fix it. That's gonna be a huge savings compared to what I've been spending as of late. Plus I work at the Subaru dealer and don't pay retail for any services. I'm sure another Studey will show up in my garage..but it will be a while and its gonna have to be in nice shape. I don't have a huge project in me to do again.

Comment

Working...
                  X