Pistons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pistons

I need help choosing a piston and finding the best vendor. I am building a 289. I have 570 heads with stock but polished chambers and full size R3 valves. The block is rough so I am assuming I will be 060 over. I am using real R3 head gaskets and notching the block. I would like to be at 9:1 when I am done.

I would like to use hyperutech pistons. Do I use the flat tops, full dish or half dish? How many CCs are the full and half dish recesses?

Who's product is the best?

Jon Kammer

quote:Originally posted by 3x2stude

I need help choosing a piston and finding the best vendor. I am building a 289. I have 570 heads with stock but polished chambers and full size R3 valves. The block is rough so I am assuming I will be 060 over. I am using real R3 head gaskets and notching the block. I would like to be at 9:1 when I am done.
    I would like to use hyperutech pistons. Do I use the flat tops, full dish or half dish? How many CCs are the full and half dish recesses?
    Who's product is the best?
    Fairborn (Phil Harris) is probably your best source. In 2002 I had a broken piston in a '64 R-2 Avanti. It had already been bored '040 so it took .060 to get the scratch out of the cylinder wall. Unless yours has been damaged, you probably won't need to go anywhere .060 (though that does give you 299 cubes). At Ted Harbit's advice I went with hypereutectic pistons with a cupped top (probably what you are calling half dished). I don't remember the cc's, but Ted told me that combo would give me 9:1. The damaged engine had flat top pistons and the compression was really too high especially for supercharged. Even on 93 octane it would ping badly if you got on it. After, with the cupped pistons, its was much less finicky.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

sigpic
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Hi, Jon,

Good luck on finding a choice of pistons. Most Stude vendors all carry the same stock.

Your 570 heads on a .060" overbore would have 10.5:1 compression with flat top R1 style pistons. However, don't assume [u]anything</u>! Used Stude heads may have been milled, ground, re-seated and who knows what. Buy yourself a CC burette and learn to use it.

There is a calculator for compression ratios which is easy to use. www.kb-silvolite.com/calc.php?action=comp

The 570 heads should be around 55cc, but what you have has to be verified. When you know your actual combustion chamber CC, you can insert the bore diameter, stroke, head gasket thickness and get the static compression ratio.

As a general rule, with the OEM cam, about 9:1 is max. With the R1 cam, 9:5 is usually OK and with the R2+ regrind, about 10:1.

thnx jack vines

PackardV8
      PackardV8

Comment

Venolia in CA will make a set for you. I had them make mine with floating pins. They do excellent work and are very reasonable.

Comment

Mike Myer at Myer's Studebaker in OH just finished a rebuild of my Avanti engine. Using all original R1 heads and block, he ported heads with larger R3 valves (bench tested at 25% more air flow); bored block 0.060" over (299 CID), used hypereutectic pistons slight dished top (see Picture), R3 exhaust headers and aluminum intake manifold, with 276 deg camshaft.

John

63R-2386 under restoration & modification
          sigpic
          John
          63R-2386
          Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Hi, StudeMichael
            quote:
            Venolia in CA will make a set for you. I had them make mine with floating pins. They do excellent work and are very reasonable.
            Agree completely, Venolia makes excellent custom forged pistons. Just to update us all, what piston-to-wall clearance did you use and just how reasonable were they?

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
            PackardV8

Comment

I honestly don't remember the piston to wall clearance Jack. The cylinder was bored .93 over for my R4 engine but I used R3 pistons. John Myer gave me the Venolia number to use. The price was $385.00.

Comment

Paul how did it run on diesel fuel??? didn't knock did it ?..Bob

Candbstudebakrs
                Castro Valley,
                California

Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

quote:Originally posted by candbstudebakers

Paul how did it run on diesel fuel??? didn't knock did it ?..Bob
                  Why yes it did[:I]- couldn't even shut it off.
                  However, the broken piston happened because the brake booster check valve was cracked just enough to allow #5 cylinder to run very lean which eventually melted a hole in the top of the piston.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

sigpic
                  Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                  '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
                  X