64R5642 Auction details

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64R5642 Auction details

As I had surmised and learned earlier, 64R5642 will be offered for sale at the Ft. Lauderdale RM Auction. Below is the "notice", as of yet there are no pictures available.

quote:From the Estate of Mr. John O'Quinn
    1964 Studebaker Avanti R3
    [CLICK HERE FOR MORE PHOTOS]
    OFFERED WITHOUT RESERVE
    Showing only 55,405 miles, R5642 is built to full R3 specs with the optional "Powershift" automatic transmission, a rear axle ratio of 3.54:1, and disc brakes manufactured by Bendix under license from Dunlop. This car has the optional faststeering with no power assist and it rolls on a set of fifteen-inch Halibrand magnesium knock-off alloy wheels - a Studebaker option for 1964. The interior is finished in metallic red upholstery with black carpeting and shows the R3's 8,000 rpm. tach, instead of the 6,000rpm tach found on standard Avanti models. The seats are true buckets and the window posts and other sections of the interior including the roll bar are protected with foam-backed stitched vinyl, not moulded plastic. In short, the fit and finish on the inside of R5642 is excellent. Considering Avanti R3's are extremely rare and almost unheard of on the open market, this example presents an extremely rare opportunity to purchase a well-respected and cared for automobile.

That is the next to last Studebaker Avanti built and one of the nine true R3s. It will be interesting to see what it will bring.

I would like the car, but I do not bid at that type of auction.

It is interesting that with all of those words they do not mention the exterior color and I do not remember. Does someone here know the color of 5642?

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

That is the next to last Studebaker Avanti built and one of the nine true R3s. It will be interesting to see what it will bring.

I would like the car, but I do not bid at that type of auction.

It is interesting that with all of those words they do not mention the exterior color and I do not remember. Does someone here know the color of 5642?

Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      It's white, found on the net.:

"The white one shipped to Moline, R5642 and sold at auction by Dick Marty has a short enough history that it should still have the original engine.

R5642 was originally shipped to Moline IL.<P>

R5642 Toronto but rumored sold / 5642 Was sold by Dick Marty in Canada at a RM auction about 2004

R5642 was built without P/S.
      R5642 history (Oct 2008) by Richard Pianca (SDC Forum-Retired)
      Henry Hargrove owned H&H Motors in Moline Illinois and was in need of some money to keep his
      dealership afloat.His uncle loaned him a sum of money and was not being repaid in a timely
      manner, so the uncle ordered the white R-3 (R-5642). Upon delivery he took it as a partial payment (for the loan).
      Geo Krem ultimately traded the uncle, his low mileage gold Avanti, a trailer and if memory
      serves me correctly a Lark of some sort for the R-3.

A few years ago, I received a telephone call from the uncles widow asking assistance in selling
      the gold Avanti. (The uncle had died eleven years prior).

It was sold to a gent in the Chicago suburbs. He detailed the chassis and motor and motor
      compartment and has had it at a couple of SDC meets. It was still a very low mileage car.

I looked at H&H Motors dealership record in So.Bend. His franchise was an on and off thing. I
      guess when his financial status fell below a stated amount Studebaker would cancel his contract
      only to be reinstated when he was financially sound."

JDP/Maryland
      JDP Maryland

Comment

Thanks for the info., John. I rarely remember car colors, but now that you mention white, that comes back to me. I thought that this was an Avanti owned by George for awhile.

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

Thanks for the info., John. I rarely remember car colors, but now that you mention white, that comes back to me. I thought that this was an Avanti owned by George for awhile.

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          JDP Maryland

Comment

I believe the auction Avanti is the same one featured in a article in Special Interest Autos magazine a few years back. If my memory is correct they tested a R3 Avanti owend by Krem at the time.

Eric DeRosa

'49 2R-5 (original Survivor)
            '63 R2 Lark (barely surviving)
            Eric DeRosa

\'49 2R-5 (original Survivor)
            \'63 R2 Lark (the money-pit-mobile)
            \'60 Lark Convertible (project in waiting)

Comment

What is the dollar value on a car like this?

Autumn at Lake Barget
              In the middle of Minnestudea
              sigpic
              In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

The full package R2 Strato blue Daytona 64v5045 lost in CA resides in my garage and is for sale to the right person. It never left CA until I bought it but I think I have too many projects to finish her anytime soon, so I may let it go.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Milaca

What is the dollar value on a car like this?

Autumn at Lake Barget
                  In the middle of Minnestudea

It should bring 50-100K, but who knows.

JDP/Maryland
                  JDP Maryland

Comment

According to that reported in the listing, the car has seen less than 7000 miles in the last 10 years. Also, it appears that the power steering was removed to return it to its original state if the listing is correct. The roll bar cover was the standard Avanti unit as I remember - don't have a picture of that part of the car. Driveline details: engine R3SM306 B46, trans AS2-10 #14561.

Comment

Just checked the RM on-line pictures and the power steering pump is still there! Looks good!

Comment

Odd things:

1. Added a dual M/C. the safety issue I can understand, but originality?

2. The hole in the front right inner fender panel is still there for the supercharger surge tank vent, but no tube?

I get all the RM Auction flyers and will ask for some more info. Pics of the front suspension joints, etc.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by HNCadet

Odd things:

1. Added a dual M/C. the safety issue I can understand, but originality?

2. The hole in the front right inner fender panel is still there for the supercharger surge tank vent, but no tube?

I get all the RM Auction flyers and will ask for some more info. Pics of the front suspension joints, etc.
                          The master cylinder issue can be a easy fix, but do you want to risk a very expensive car with a single system. The hose to the grill mounted air cleaner is in the picture, but I have no idea what a supercharger surge tank would be.

JDP/Maryland
                          JDP Maryland

Comment

TOMMO...Would you contact me thru my e-mail, I tried contacting you , but your e-mail was returned as undeliverable....Thanks

Comment

This will be an auction worth watching. The RM Auction House IMHO is the proper place to sell O'Quinn's cars My only question is why they chose the Ft Lauderdale site as it has traditional been one of their lowest volume sales. Another interesting observation is the speed that the dispersal of this collection is undergoing. I guess there is a need for a large amount of cash to settle the estate. This man earned millions for his work on the tobacco settlements and one would have thought there would have been significant estate planning involved here but who knows what the true circumstances are.
                              sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Working...
                              X