Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lstude
    replied
    I can't imagine anyone trading a pre-57 Packard for a 57 or 58 Packard, but it would be interesting to know if someone did.

When I was 13 years old, I went in the Packard dealership here in Richmond, VA which was Mooers Motor Co. It still exists as Mooers Volvo.

They had two 58 Packards in the showroom, a 4 door sedan and a 2 door hardtop. I told the salesman that I thought they were good looking cars. He happened to be Mr. Mooer, as I later found out. He said "You want to see a REAL Packard? and took me out to the street and showed me a blue 41 Packard sedan. He said "This car has factory air". I wasn't impressed. It just looked like an old car to me. But I have the feeling that he would have discouraged anyone from trading in a Detroit Packard for a South Bend Packard.

My best friend's father also owned a 55 Packard, and his son had Studebakers. Joe's father commented to us several times that we were crazy to be "fooling around" with those Studebakers as the company was going down the tubes. He eventually traded the Packard for a 59 Pontiac.

Here is his Packard.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    [quote]Originally posted by BobPalma

Here's a question for Forum Members: Does anyone actually know of a person who traded a 1956 or older Packard toward a new 1957 or 1958 Studebaker-based Packard?

Sorry Bob, but I did know of a few (one, a doctor) who traded for a...a...a....new Cadillac. And I'm sure you do, too with your dad being in the new car business at the time. Here's the question for you... What kind of a trade-in allowance would Palma-Rhodes Motors have given someone who wanted to trade in a 10,000 mile '56 Patrician sedan for a brand new '57 on the lot in Lilac/Arctic White?[]

Craig

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    [quote]Originally posted by BobPalma

Here's a question for Forum Members: Does anyone actually know of a person who traded a 1956 or older Packard toward a new 1957 or 1958 Studebaker-based Packard?

Sorry Bob, but I did know of a few (one, a doctor) who traded for a...a...a....new Cadillac. And I'm sure you do, too with your dad being in the new car business at the time. Here's the question for you... What kind of a trade-in allowance would Palma-Rhodes Motors have given someone who wanted to trade in a 10,000 mile '56 Patrician sedan for a brand new '57 on the lot in Lilac/Arctic White?[]

Craig

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    started a topic Trade a Packard for a Packardbaker?

Trade a Packard for a Packardbaker?

Here's a question for Forum Members: Does anyone actually know of a person who traded a 1956 or older Packard toward a new 1957 or 1958 Studebaker-based Packard? It is pretty well accepted that most 1957-1958 "Packardbaker" sales were to people who would have bought a higher-level Studebaker anyway, so they just bought an even fancier one than a President Classic; i.e, a 1957-1958 Studebaker-based Packard.

I realize I'm probably "above-average" age for a Forum members (age 60, here[:0]). Hence, it is unlikely that younger Forum members would know someone who had traded a "real" Packard toward a 1957-1958 model when their older Packard was due to be replaced, as people were want to do every 3 or 4 years circa 1946-1970, approximately. [}]

Still, it's a question I've never seen answered and am curious; just something I've wondered about. (I doubt that Studebaker-Packard Corporation did any studies on the matter; they probably couldn't have cared less!) [V] BP
Working...
X