No announcement yet.

Trade a Packard for a Packardbaker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know, I looked at that website and didn't find the model. It looked similar, though I don't remember that gaudy stripe down the side. Mrs. Nikens car had the fury script on the fin and a round symbol. As I recall the one remaining was red, white, and blue.

Lotsa Larks!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

The 59 Fury had the red/white/blue emblem:

http://59sportfury.net/

64 Commander 2 dr.
      64 Daytona HT
      63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black) #2
      63 Avanti R1
      63 Daytona convert
      63 Lark 2 door
      63 Lark 2 door #2
      62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
      62 Lark 2 door
      62 GT Hawk 4 speed
      60 Lark HT
      60 Hawk
      59 3E truck
      52 Starliner
      51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

The 59 Fury had the red/white/blue emblem:

http://59sportfury.net/

64 Commander 2 dr.
        64 Daytona HT
        63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black) #2
        63 Avanti R1
        63 Daytona convert
        63 Lark 2 door
        63 Lark 2 door #2
        62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
        62 Lark 2 door
        62 GT Hawk 4 speed
        60 Lark HT
        60 Hawk
        59 3E truck
        52 Starliner
        51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

It would make sense that it was a 59 Fury, starting in 59 they were available in the full spectrum of colors that other models were, but from 56-58 they were only monotone Buckskin beige

Comment

It would make sense that it was a 59 Fury, starting in 59 they were available in the full spectrum of colors that other models were, but from 56-58 they were only monotone Buckskin beige

Comment

Bob,

While I can't answer your question specifically, I am aware of an owner of a new '55 Packard Clipper trading it in on a new '59 Lark wagon at the same dealership he bought the Packard at...Carl E. Filer Co. in Greenville, PA. The owner of both cars was Lloyd Lee, owner of the Atlantic station in town (really one of the best stations in town, with a dedicated and well-liked on-site mechanic for many years, Foster Heacock). Anyway, Lloyd has told me in person that he went out to pick the Lark up at South Bend in person and got a very nice tour of the plant.

Also, my friend Ed Davies, who was employed at Mack Auto Sales in Akron, OH, for several years, said that while they had never sold Detroit Packards new, they had several '55 and '56 models on their used car lot which had been traded on new Larks. He said he remembered the Packards hanging around the used car lot for a long, long time...even nice-looking Packards.

Bill Pressler
              Kent, OH
              Bill Pressler
              Kent, OH
              (formerly Greenville, PA)
              Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
              Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
              1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
              1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
              All are in Australia now

Comment

Bob,

While I can't answer your question specifically, I am aware of an owner of a new '55 Packard Clipper trading it in on a new '59 Lark wagon at the same dealership he bought the Packard at...Carl E. Filer Co. in Greenville, PA. The owner of both cars was Lloyd Lee, owner of the Atlantic station in town (really one of the best stations in town, with a dedicated and well-liked on-site mechanic for many years, Foster Heacock). Anyway, Lloyd has told me in person that he went out to pick the Lark up at South Bend in person and got a very nice tour of the plant.

Also, my friend Ed Davies, who was employed at Mack Auto Sales in Akron, OH, for several years, said that while they had never sold Detroit Packards new, they had several '55 and '56 models on their used car lot which had been traded on new Larks. He said he remembered the Packards hanging around the used car lot for a long, long time...even nice-looking Packards.

Bill Pressler
                Kent, OH
                Bill Pressler
                Kent, OH
                (formerly Greenville, PA)
                Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                All are in Australia now

Comment

Hi
                  Your main question is one that has been on my mind for years. Although there was no data collected, and I have no first hand knowledge to add, here is my conjecture on the subject.

The majority of South Bend Packard buyers traded in a 2-5 year old Land Cruisers, President State or Classic sedans. They were the largest group of satisfied and loyal customers that would accept the car as a viable extension of what they already had.
                  Recall that all Studebaker dealers were awarded a Packard franchise with the '57 model year by the company in a effort to get greater market coverage.

As for owners of Detroit Packard, owners of 2-5 year old Clippers, loyal to the marque and happy with their dealers, likely traded a Super, Custom or DeLuxe for a Town Sedan. This group would be a small percentage of all Clipper owners. Likely the others went to another medium-priced car such as Buick or Chrysler.

And owners of Senior Detroit Packards: very, very few of those that bought a Packard new in '53-56 likely accepted the South Bend Packard. The most likely place they traded was at the Chrysler dealer for a new Imperials. Chrysler had a solid reputation for fine engineering and the Imperial for good build quality. Some percentage probably opted for Lincolns. The percentage that went for Cadillac I think was quite small, given they had shunned the marque up to that point, buying one would have had to be explained away to their colleagues.

Thanks for posing such an interesting question.
                  Steve

Comment

Hi
                    Your main question is one that has been on my mind for years. Although there was no data collected, and I have no first hand knowledge to add, here is my conjecture on the subject.

The majority of South Bend Packard buyers traded in a 2-5 year old Land Cruisers, President State or Classic sedans. They were the largest group of satisfied and loyal customers that would accept the car as a viable extension of what they already had.
                    Recall that all Studebaker dealers were awarded a Packard franchise with the '57 model year by the company in a effort to get greater market coverage.

As for owners of Detroit Packard, owners of 2-5 year old Clippers, loyal to the marque and happy with their dealers, likely traded a Super, Custom or DeLuxe for a Town Sedan. This group would be a small percentage of all Clipper owners. Likely the others went to another medium-priced car such as Buick or Chrysler.

And owners of Senior Detroit Packards: very, very few of those that bought a Packard new in '53-56 likely accepted the South Bend Packard. The most likely place they traded was at the Chrysler dealer for a new Imperials. Chrysler had a solid reputation for fine engineering and the Imperial for good build quality. Some percentage probably opted for Lincolns. The percentage that went for Cadillac I think was quite small, given they had shunned the marque up to that point, buying one would have had to be explained away to their colleagues.

Thanks for posing such an interesting question.
                    Steve

Comment

Bob, I am enough older than you that I remember several neighbors and friends that owned Packards in the '57-'58 time frame. I can only recall one case of a pre-SB Packard being traded in on a '57-'58 Packard. This was a man that bought a new car every four years. He traded his 1954 Packard in on a 1958 Packard Hawk. I was in the dealership in the Fall of 1961 when they were trying to get the guy to trade his '58 Packard Hawk in on a '62 Studebaker Hawk. He said that he wouldn't even consider it. He liked his Packard Hawk and didn't like the looks of the Gran Turismo Hawk. His Packard Hawk looked like new and he probably wouldn't have gotten much for it at that time. At that time, I could have purchased a slightly rougher, complete, one owner Packard Hawk from a wholesaler for $375. That Packard Hawk had been traded in at the local Chevrolet-Oldsmobile dealer, but I never checked out what was purchased. If the wholesaler would have sold it to me for $375, I assume that he paid $350, or less, for it. At the time, I had an excellent 1957 President Classic.

Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Bob, I am enough older than you that I remember several neighbors and friends that owned Packards in the '57-'58 time frame. I can only recall one case of a pre-SB Packard being traded in on a '57-'58 Packard. This was a man that bought a new car every four years. He traded his 1954 Packard in on a 1958 Packard Hawk. I was in the dealership in the Fall of 1961 when they were trying to get the guy to trade his '58 Packard Hawk in on a '62 Studebaker Hawk. He said that he wouldn't even consider it. He liked his Packard Hawk and didn't like the looks of the Gran Turismo Hawk. His Packard Hawk looked like new and he probably wouldn't have gotten much for it at that time. At that time, I could have purchased a slightly rougher, complete, one owner Packard Hawk from a wholesaler for $375. That Packard Hawk had been traded in at the local Chevrolet-Oldsmobile dealer, but I never checked out what was purchased. If the wholesaler would have sold it to me for $375, I assume that he paid $350, or less, for it. At the time, I had an excellent 1957 President Classic.

Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

This is good diet material, Gary. I'm so ill after reading this I've lost my appetite for going out to eat when my wife gets home from school! [:0]

Don't forget: I've still got all the photos and correspondence from the then-current owner of one of the seven documented 1971 Hemi 'cuda convertibles, dated 1980-1981. He was offering it to me for $7,000 and it was a very nice, original car.

Damn lot of money, it seemed like at the time! Besides, it was gold and an automatic; who would ever want one of those in that combination? [}]

Thanks for sharing...I think! Off to have a side salad and a water. <G> BP
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

This is good diet material, Gary. I'm so ill after reading this I've lost my appetite for going out to eat when my wife gets home from school! [:0]

Don't forget: I've still got all the photos and correspondence from the then-current owner of one of the seven documented 1971 Hemi 'cuda convertibles, dated 1980-1981. He was offering it to me for $7,000 and it was a very nice, original car.

Damn lot of money, it seemed like at the time! Besides, it was gold and an automatic; who would ever want one of those in that combination? [}]

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

63 Avanti R1 2788
                              1914 Stutz Bearcat
                              (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                              63 Avanti R1 2788
                              1914 Stutz Bearcat
                              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

Gary L.
                                Wappinger, NY

63 Avanti R1 2788
                                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                                (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                                63 Avanti R1 2788
                                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                                (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Working...
                                X