Rare Russian '64 Wagonaire Model Discussed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rare Russian '64 Wagonaire Model Discussed

Thought you guys might find this discussion interesting. There are some great photos of the 1:43 scale '64 Studebaker Wagonaire made by an unidentified Russian company. Apparently one of these models is currently on eBay.

http://www.diecast.org/diecast98/htm...16&start=12809

Well, whomever made it, they did a bang up job. It's a beautiful (and pricey) model. Now, if they would come out with one in 1/18th...

Lotsa Larks!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Well, whomever made it, they did a bang up job. It's a beautiful (and pricey) model. Now, if they would come out with one in 1/18th...

Lotsa Larks!
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

According to another message (response to this post)the model was made in Ukraine by Vladimir Pivtorak.

John Clements
        Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
        Lockleys South Australia
        John Clements
        Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

According to another message (response to this post)the model was made in Ukraine by Vladimir Pivtorak.

John Clements
          Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
          Lockleys South Australia
          John Clements
          Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studeclunker

Now, if they would come out with one in 1/18th...
            Apparently, most discriminating collectors have switched to 1:43 scale as the detail is more jewel-like. They consider the larger scale models to be toy-like due to their cheap mass produced diecast bodies, clunky opening parts (with large gaps) and crude chrome-plated plastic trim. They look great from a distance but when you get up close, they can't hold a candle to their smaller high-end handbuilt cousins.

What converted me was the fact that I can now collect more Studebaker models without giving up valuable shelf space. I can easily fit a dozen or more 1:43 scale cars in a space that once held only four 1:18th scale models.

With the help of eBay, I've found quite a few excellent 1:43 scale Studes. Here's a sampling of what's out there:

Brooklin Models 1954 Studebaker Conestoga

Brooklin Models 1953 Studebaker Starliner

Brooklin Models 1950 Studebaker Commander Landcruiser

Conquest Models 1947 Studebaker Champion

Bruce Arnold Models 1958 Packard Hawk (I've heard there are only 25 of these beauties. They came complete with a set of photo-etched metal wire wheels!)

...and many more.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studeclunker

Now, if they would come out with one in 1/18th...
              Apparently, most discriminating collectors have switched to 1:43 scale as the detail is more jewel-like. They consider the larger scale models to be toy-like due to their cheap mass produced diecast bodies, clunky opening parts (with large gaps) and crude chrome-plated plastic trim. They look great from a distance but when you get up close, they can't hold a candle to their smaller high-end handbuilt cousins.

What converted me was the fact that I can now collect more Studebaker models without giving up valuable shelf space. I can easily fit a dozen or more 1:43 scale cars in a space that once held only four 1:18th scale models.

With the help of eBay, I've found quite a few excellent 1:43 scale Studes. Here's a sampling of what's out there:

Brooklin Models 1954 Studebaker Conestoga

Brooklin Models 1950 Studebaker Commander Landcruiser

Conquest Models 1947 Studebaker Champion

Bruce Arnold Models 1958 Packard Hawk (I've heard there are only 25 of these beauties. They came complete with a set of photo-etched metal wire wheels!)

...and many more.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by loewycoupe
                Is it just me, or are the proportions of the Brooklin '53 Starliner way off (rear fenderline too high, top too low and too flat, hubcaps too bulky, etc)?

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html
                Paul
                Winston-Salem, NC
                Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by loewycoupe
                  Is it just me, or are the proportions of the Brooklin '53 Starliner way off (rear fenderline too high, top too low and too flat, hubcaps too bulky, etc)?

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html
                  Paul
                  Winston-Salem, NC
                  Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

quote:Is it just me, or are the proportions of the Brooklin '53 Starliner way off (rear fenderline too high, top too low and too flat, hubcaps too bulky, etc)?
                    Yeah, Brooklin's '53 has some issues. Still, it's better than the older Franklin Mint Starliner, which had ill-fitting doors and somewhat squashed proportions (see below).

Comment

quote:Is it just me, or are the proportions of the Brooklin '53 Starliner way off (rear fenderline too high, top too low and too flat, hubcaps too bulky, etc)?
                      Yeah, Brooklin's '53 has some issues. Still, it's better than the older Franklin Mint Starliner, which had ill-fitting doors and somewhat squashed proportions (see below).

Comment

Is it just me or does the Brooklin edition look more like an artist's rendering? And at that scale - 1:43 - obviously - alot of the brightwork has to be body color.[|)]

Miscreant adrift in
                        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Is it just me or does the Brooklin edition look more like an artist's rendering? And at that scale - 1:43 - obviously - alot of the brightwork has to be body color.[|)]

Miscreant adrift in
                          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:[i]...And at that scale - 1:43 - obviously - alot of the brightwork has to be body color.[|)]
                            Uhhhhhh, No. Brooklin Models keep their prices well below high-end handbuilt competitors like Motor City USA by not adding additional cosmetic details such as photo-etch chrome trim. Their models are specially engineered to receive Bare Metal Foil on the window surrounds, emblems, etc. Unlike large scale model "collectors", most of the handbuilt crowd have mastered the relatively easy task of applying Bare Metal Foil and the results are often spectacular. Some collectors like John Roberts and Master Pattern-Maker, Bruce Arnold, even go so far as to repaint and add additional features to their Brooklin models.

Below is a perfect example. Bruce Arnold has beautifully detailed the rather plain Brooklin '54 Studebaker Conestoga and created a model that will hold it's own beside ones selling for three times it's price - and that's including Arnold's own $300+ Cadillac and Packard models.

Before:

After:

Comment

quote:[i]...And at that scale - 1:43 - obviously - alot of the brightwork has to be body color.[|)]
                              Uhhhhhh, No. Brooklin Models keep their prices well below high-end handbuilt competitors like Motor City USA by not adding additional cosmetic details such as photo-etch chrome trim. Their models are specially engineered to receive Bare Metal Foil on the window surrounds, emblems, etc. Unlike large scale model "collectors", most of the handbuilt crowd have mastered the relatively easy task of applying Bare Metal Foil and the results are often spectacular. Some collectors like John Roberts and Master Pattern-Maker, Bruce Arnold, even go so far as to repaint and add additional features to their Brooklin models.

Below is a perfect example. Bruce Arnold has beautifully detailed the rather plain Brooklin '54 Studebaker Conestoga and created a model that will hold it's own beside ones selling for three times it's price - and that's including Arnold's own $300+ Cadillac and Packard models.

Before:

After:

Comment

Working...
                              X