X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker NOS crate engine

Anyone notice this engine on eBay?

I wonder what it will go for.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Maybe 5K.

64 Commander 2 dr.
    64 Daytona HT
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black) #2
    63 Avanti R1
    63 Daytona convert
    63 Lark 2 door
    63 Lark 2 door #2
    62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
    62 Lark 2 door
    62 GT Hawk 4 speed
    60 Lark HT
    60 Hawk
    59 3E truck
    52 Starliner
    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Maybe 5K.

64 Commander 2 dr.
      64 Daytona HT
      63 Avanti R1
      63 Daytona convert
      63 Lark 2 door
      63 Lark 2 door #2
      62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
      62 Lark 2 door
      62 GT Hawk 4 speed
      60 Lark HT
      60 Hawk
      59 3E truck
      52 Starliner
      51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

It looks really weird. Like it was designed to run in the crate[?] And what is that in the bottom right of the picture? Is that a freon pump? Strange...

No wonder! It's an Avanti! Kewell![8D]

And yes! It's setup with just about everything your lil' ol' heart could desire! Neat!

The last question is; since it's been in that crate for 45 plus years, will it turn[?][?][?] Sure would be nice to have for one of the Daytona twins... Sigh. Too broke.[8][V]

Boy! Talk about a greedy SOB! It's up to 2600 and still not at the reserve! This has been sitting around neither needed nor wanted, likely most of his life, and he is holding out for the world! Then again, look at the prices on the other items in his store.[}]

Whoa! 3700 and still not at reserve, and it's got over six days to go!

Lotsa Larks!
        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

It looks really weird. Like it was designed to run in the crate[?] And what is that in the bottom right of the picture? Is that a freon pump? Strange...

No wonder! It's an Avanti! Kewell![8D]

And yes! It's setup with just about everything your lil' ol' heart could desire! Neat!

The last question is; since it's been in that crate for 45 plus years, will it turn[?][?][?] Sure would be nice to have for one of the Daytona twins... Sigh. Too broke.[8][V]

Boy! Talk about a greedy SOB! It's up to 2600 and still not at the reserve! This has been sitting around neither needed nor wanted, likely most of his life, and he is holding out for the world! Then again, look at the prices on the other items in his store.[}]

Whoa! 3700 and still not at reserve, and it's got over six days to go!

Lotsa Larks!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
          Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Pretty strange that it is fully equipped. It might have been bought that way, but I doubt if it came from the factory that way. All the crate engines I have ever seen were just block, pan, and heads. My NOS R-3 and R-4 engines included distrbutors w/wiring and plugs, intake and exhaust manifold (headers)and carbs, but these were special having been shipped from Paxton rather than Studebaker.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson
            '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
            '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
            Museum R-4 engine
            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Pretty strange that it is fully equipped. It might have been bought that way, but I doubt if it came from the factory that way. All the crate engines I have ever seen were just block, pan, and heads. My NOS R-3 and R-4 engines included distrbutors w/wiring and plugs, intake and exhaust manifold (headers)and carbs, but these were special having been shipped from Paxton rather than Studebaker.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson
              '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
              '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
              Museum R-4 engine
              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I'd bet it was in the pipeline to be installed in a 64 Avanti when the plant shut down.

64 Commander 2 dr.
                64 Daytona HT
                63 Avanti R1
                63 Daytona convert
                63 Lark 2 door
                63 Lark 2 door #2
                62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
                62 Lark 2 door
                62 GT Hawk 4 speed
                60 Lark HT
                60 Hawk
                59 3E truck
                52 Starliner
                51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

I'd bet it was in the pipeline to be installed in a 64 Avanti when the plant shut down.

64 Commander 2 dr.
                  64 Daytona HT
                  63 Avanti R1
                  63 Daytona convert
                  63 Lark 2 door
                  63 Lark 2 door #2
                  62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
                  62 Lark 2 door
                  62 GT Hawk 4 speed
                  60 Lark HT
                  60 Hawk
                  59 3E truck
                  52 Starliner
                  51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

It iss already waaaay ovr bid. Someone with too much of ze money, and not enough of ze sense about engines may buy it, but zey probably wont mind haffing to tear it down and rebuild it.

Comment

It iss already waaaay ovr bid. Someone with too much of ze money, and not enough of ze sense about engines may buy it, but zey probably wont mind haffing to tear it down and rebuild it.

Comment

I help Skip find a NOS big six engine that had been stored since the early 50's. We put some oil in the cylinders, primed the oil pump and carb and it fired up within 5 seconds. I'd bet that Avanti engine would do the same.

64 Commander 2 dr.
                        64 Daytona HT
                        63 Avanti R1
                        63 Daytona convert
                        63 Lark 2 door
                        63 Lark 2 door #2
                        62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
                        62 Lark 2 door
                        62 GT Hawk 4 speed
                        60 Lark HT
                        60 Hawk
                        59 3E truck
                        52 Starliner
                        51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

I help Skip find a NOS big six engine that had been stored since the early 50's. We put some oil in the cylinders, primed the oil pump and carb and it fired up within 5 seconds. I'd bet that Avanti engine would do the same.

64 Commander 2 dr.
                          64 Daytona HT
                          63 Avanti R1
                          63 Daytona convert
                          63 Lark 2 door
                          63 Lark 2 door #2
                          62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
                          62 Lark 2 door
                          62 GT Hawk 4 speed
                          60 Lark HT
                          60 Hawk
                          59 3E truck
                          52 Starliner
                          51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Ya, juss because it runss, dont mean itt runns goot! Even zo it turnss over und runss, rusty cylinder valls allow ze power to blow by ze piston ringgs. And, zere iss lotts off foreign flakk and stuff in ze oil, embeddink in ze bearings. Not zo goot! Would nott pay ze topp dollar for engine zat hass sat zo long, vidout ze guarantee zat it hass been completely oiled up and sealed from ze humidity and temperature changes in ze air that cause ze condensation with stored engines. [:0]

Comment

Ya, juss because it runss, dont mean itt runns goot! Even zo it turnss over und runss, rusty cylinder valls allow ze power to blow by ze piston ringgs. And, zere iss lotts off foreign flakk and stuff in ze oil, embeddink in ze bearings. Not zo goot! Would nott pay ze topp dollar for engine zat hass sat zo long, vidout ze guarantee zat it hass been completely oiled up and sealed from ze humidity and temperature changes in ze air that cause ze condensation with stored engines. [:0]

Comment

Working...
                              X