Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Statistics on forum posts - how many for you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Statistics on forum posts - how many for you?

I collected the numbers for how many posts were added by each Forum member to see how many people participate actively. The first page of the Forum shows the number of total members (4867 as of 2/8/2010) and the total number of posts (301,077). As you might expect, a few people make lot of posts (Mr. Biggs at 12,671!) and many people only post occasionally.

Top 5 posters: 49,631 posts (14%)
    Top 50 posters: 179,513 posts (50%)
    No posts: 1310 members (27% of members)
    Here's the distribution chart to show how many people made a given number of posts:

Of course, there are many people who read the Forum who haven't signed up officially, so it's hard to know how many there are. And, it's OK to just come and read without posting, if you are shy or just don't see the need to comment.

[img=left]http://www.studegarage.com/images/indy/gary_indycar25_vvsm.jpg[/img=left] Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, Mass.
    '32 Indy car replica (in progress)
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    web site at http://www.studegarage.com
    Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, Mass.

’41 Commander Land Cruiser
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard

Gee Gary... are you aiming to become the new "Decimal Dude"?! [}]

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island Chapter
    http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander
    Zone Coordinator
    Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Ok... heres my first post of the year. Neat chart . How did you come up with the numbers?

1959 4E2D 498 Studebaker Soctsman 4X4
      sigpic1959 4E2D 498 Studebaker Scotsman 4X4

http://www.napco4x4.org/gallery/m80-...-protype1.html

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 4hawks

Ok... heres my first post of the year. Neat chart . How did you come up with the numbers?
        If you click on "MEMBERS" it will give you the information.

I haven't looked lately, but I think that I have hovered around top eight in number of posts. I don't read anywhere near as many of the topics as I used to. I do check the Forum most days.

This is from another of the Garys (other than the two mentioned above).

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Gary, interesting information for those who want to understand it. Thanks for the effort as it really tells a great story.
          sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Looks like three groups.
            1) nubies that don't post more than 19 posts,
            2) Folks that get involved for up to 99 posts, (they don't seem to hang around)
            3) Us serious guys who just can't quit.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
            Tom Bredehoft
            '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
            '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
            ....On the road, again....
            '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
            All Indiana built cars

Comment

In analyzing from this graph, you need to realize that the X-axis is not uniform in spacing/quantities before you put too much strength in the peaks shown. For example, one bar is for 80-99 posts and the next bar is for 100-199 posts. I can't imagine why it is graphed in this fashion. Looks like graphs that I used to see that were made to prove a point. I don't want to diminish the work that Gary A. put into this. I just question his graphing style.

Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I have also noticed that two of our top five posters have not posted since sometime last month.

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I've calculated those stats a few times over the years. Pretty typical breakout of any forum.

BShaw, Webmaster
                  webmaster@studebakerdriversclub.com
                  Woodbury, Minnesota
                  sigpic
                  Bob Shaw
                  Rush City, Minnesota
                  1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
                  "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

I would like to thank all of you that post and answer some of my newby and stupid questions. I gain alot of good information here and appreciate all who help.

Comment

To answer Gary L's question about the form of the graph, it was chosen as a means to display information that has a wide range of values. We have five guys with nearly 50,000 posts between them and 1300 who have never posted at all. I "binned" them in an arbitrary fashion to have the vertical bars cover about a 10:1 range, i.e. about 25 to 250 people, so that there weren't tiny bars at the bottom or bars that went off scale at the top.

A big conclusion is that most of the posting is done by a small core group: 77% of the posts came from only 100 people and more than 93% came from a total of just 200 people. So, only 1 to 2% of all SDC members are active here. The data does not identify if anyone has posted under more than one user name. Additionally, of the top 500 posters, about 9% haven't posted in over 1 year, 23% of posters 500-1000 haven't posted in a year, and more than 50% of those in the 6-20 post range haven't posted since February 2009. Some stay addicted, some leave.

No Studebakers were harmed in the making of this graph.

[img=left]http://www.studegarage.com/images/indy/gary_indycar25_vvsm.jpg[/img=left] Gary Ash
                      Dartmouth, Mass.
                      '48 M5
                      '65 Wagonaire Commander
                      '63 Wagonaire Standard
                      Gary Ash
                      Dartmouth, Mass.

’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                      '48 M5
                      '65 Wagonaire Commander
                      '63 Wagonaire Standard

Comment

I think my title of "Decimal Dude" is being threatened.....

Another Gary

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.
                        Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

In analyzing from this graph, you need to realize that the X-axis is not uniform in spacing/quantities before you put too much strength in the peaks shown. For example, one bar is for 80-99 posts and the next bar is for 100-199 posts. I can't imagine why it is graphed in this fashion.
                          Studegary- I think the answer is simple; the graph maker chooses the x-axis based on what stats he's trying to illustrate, as it relates to the desired y-axis, or vice-versa. Anyone can take the stats and plug them into a graph with their own axes, depending on what they're wanting to say. The graph is fine for this discussion; but one could theoretically make a graph with all actual post numbers on the x... it would give a fine-tuned result, but they may go nuts doing so[:0] It's certainly beyond me to do so[xx(]

Intersting stats, Gary A., and thanks for making the effort[^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                          Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50
                            Anyone can take the stats and plug them into a graph with their own axes, depending on what they're wanting to say.
                            Would you be able to demonstrate that at York? (I believe Bob meant to say axis, but maybe that is an evil word).

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.
                            Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

I have also noticed that two of our top five posters have not posted since sometime last month.
                              In an off-Forum email conversation Mr Biggs told me that he isn't posting any more. I didn't ask if someone drove him off or he was just tired.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

sigpic
                              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
                              X