Clear All

• Another cheap Avanti

Not nice enough to part out though.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...589966556.html

JDP/Maryland
    JDP Maryland

Gadd zooks .. is that dashboard green?[:0]

Now THIS one could make a nice track car. From the picture the frame
    doesnt look that bad .. at least not the hog troughs.

I wonder if he has the engine? Or if it has any rust, or is "rough"?[]

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

You sure have been dancing with a lot of Avanti's lately.

Chris Pile
      http://midwaystudebakers.tripod.com/
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

I think it was Lee D. who called them "Larks in party dresses".

quote:Originally posted by Chris Pile

Matthew Burnette
        Your Friendly Stude Trim Bender

Starlight Stainless
        912-253-3037

Comment

Chris Pile
          http://midwaystudebakers.tripod.com/
          Not taking this one for a spin around the floor. With no engine and a rusty frame, you'd barely break even on parts.

JDP/Maryland
          JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

I think it was Lee D. who called them "Larks in party dresses".

[b]Matthew Burnette

They were referred to in that manner in print LONG before Lee D.

Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Appears to be a fairly early Avanti II.

Road & Track's review of the '63: "A Lark in a Gilded Cage"; an ideal car for the "big butter and eggs man." R&T wrote great reviews back in the old John Bond days, particularly of American cars they didn't like.

MikeV
              Pompano Beach, FL
              83 Avanti 377I

Comment

It's a '68-'70 Avanti II...side marker lights were mandated beginning in '68. It still has the Studebaker steering wheel and column...they went to an impact absorbing unit beginning with the '71 model year.

A sad end to what was once a nice car.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
                Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by MikeValent
                  Road & Track's review of the '63: "A Lark in a Gilded Cage"; an ideal car for the "big butter and eggs man." R&T wrote great reviews back in the old John Bond days, particularly of American cars they didn't like.
                  I have that article, it was from October, 1962. That too-oft repeated comment wasn't the main view. They welcomed a new American sporty car, but (as magaines will do to this day) they wished for better handling and more power. On the plus side they loved the seats and called the brakes "first-rate".

The original sub-head ran...
                  "It's only a Lark in a guilded cage to some, to others it is the newest, freshest design to come from a U.S. builder since the Cord 812.

The anti-Avanti croud love to quote the first part, while forgetting the second. Me, I bought it because of the latter point. It's hard to find a genuine design icon for Avanti money.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                  63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Holy smokes .. this dropped to $1000 now! I wish I had room.

Tom
                    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Pray tell me about "the anti-Avanti cro(w)d. I remember buying that R&T issue the day it hit the newsstand, fell in love with the pictures of the car, ended up factory-ordering an Avanti in mid-1963 (I had inherited just enough money to act like a fool while attending college). R&T darned most American cars with faint praise in those days, some in much harsher terms.

MikeV
                      Pompano Beach, FL
                      83 Avanti 377I

Comment

I think the phrase "...only a Lark in a gilded cage" is much misdirected. If any car fits the phrase it's the first generation Mustang. If the Mustang wasn't a Falcon in a gilded cage, the phrase is meaningless.

Comment

Working...
                        X