Need Info on 64' 65' Stude Disc Brakes Rims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Info on 64' 65' Stude Disc Brakes Rims

I'm getting ready to put Turner Disc Brakes on the 64'Cruiser and want to keep Stude rims on her. How would you Identify Studebaker Disc Brake Rims. I have a 65'Commander parts car with drum wheels, I'm thinking the rims might be geared for disc brakes also? I just don't know what I'm looking for[:0]

Thank You for the Help! Shane

<div align="left">My first stude '61 champ in 1987</div id="left"> <center>Shane</center><center>Kennewick, WA</center>

I have a 64 with original disc brakes and I don't think the rims are any different then a non disc brake car.....could be wrong though .

[IMG]

Home of the Fried Green Tomato
    "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ
    1964 Daytona HT
    1966 Daytona
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Stock Stude rims should fit fine, but if you have any questions just ask Jim Turner. He'll be glad to explain and answer any fit or installation questions. You'll love the brakes. If you have any problems you can always get another marque's rims with the same bolt pattern...but you shouldn't have any problems. However, newer rims are going to be safer and have a nicer fit while giving you the same stock look with wheel covers. Stockton Wheels in California makes nice stock looking rims. They make them raw (unpainted) or will powder coat them, too. They'll even ship them with tires mounted. Great service, I had them make my new custom backspaced rear wheels.

Comment

Not sure about '64 and up, but in '63, the disc brake wheels were different - they had the additional "bump" on them to clear the caliper. Of course, they were still only 4.5" wide, unless you are lucky enough to find a set from an Avanti, in which case they would be 5" wide.

Eric DeRosa

'49 2R-5 (original Survivor)
        '63 R2 Lark (barely surviving)
        Eric DeRosa

\'49 2R-5 (original Survivor)
        \'63 R2 Lark (the money-pit-mobile)
        \'60 Lark Convertible (project in waiting)

Comment

Here's a 63-66 disc brake wheel...

...you can see the extra "ridge" just to the outside of the hubcap. It was there to clear the caliper. I would think you would need these with Jim's brakes also, but he would know for sure.

I believe in 65 and 66, all Studes had these wheels...even the drum brake models.

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Thanks everyone, Yeah Dick after comparing the 64' wheels with 65' they are different so I'll have to swap. Your picture was a big help!!! Thanks Again Shane

<div align="left">My first stude '61 champ in 1987</div id="left"> <center>Shane</center><center>Kennewick, WA</center>

Comment

maybe not, there were disc brake wheels without the ridge, but I don't know how to tell them from regular wheels. That said, they're all 4.5" wide, so I'd really rather swap to something else anyway.

nate

--
              55 Commander Starlight
              http://members.cox.net/njnagel
              --
              55 Commander Starlight
              http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Yes Nate, there were.
                Dick's wheels are the KH Kelsey Hayes wheels, used in late '64 with the MOST Disc Brake Rotor Clearance.

The early '63 Budd Wheels with a smoother center (much better looking with small caps) also work fine without rubbing on the stock Bendix/Dunlap Studebaker Disc. BUT, they are closer to the inboard to outboard caliper crossover pipe, which may NOT be a problem on a turner kit since GM Calipers are single.

Your best bet might be if you have a Stude. with Factory Disc Brakes, or a friend that does you could check fit your wheels on it. [^]

I also cannot tell you how to tell them from the 4.5X15" '59 to '62 wheels, it could be the offset or absolutely nothing! [:0]

The only thing I know for a fact is, you don't even want to think about using the '51-'57 early 5X15 wheel, with the hub cap clip holes, it will make about a 1/4 turn and stop solid. [xx(]

I also know that a '65 Commander wheel fits either Disc or Drum, so you should have no problem, unless it is a Turner Kit problem.

StudeRich
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Rich, that certainly explains all the trouble my granddad and I went through on the '63 Hawk he just finished. I thought a "disc brake wheel" had the ridge. Sure caused a LOT of confusion with us when the ones on the car didn't have a ridge. (early '63 model with disc brakes).

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Yes Nate, there were.
                  Dick's wheels are the KH Kelsey Hayes wheels, used in late '64 with the MOST Disc Brake Rotor Clearance.

The early '63 Budd Wheels with a smoother center (much better looking with small caps) also work fine without rubbing on the stock Bendix/Dunlap Studebaker Disc. BUT, they are closer to the inboard to outboard caliper crossover pipe, which may NOT be a problem on a turner kit since GM Calipers are single.

Your best bet might be if you have a Stude. with Factory Disc Brakes, or a friend that does you could check fit your wheels on it. [^]

I also cannot tell you how to tell them from the 4.5X15" '59 to '62 wheels, it could be the offset or absolutely nothing! [:0]

The only thing I know for a fact is, you don't even want to think about using the '51-'57 early 5X15 wheel, with the hub cap clip holes, it will make about a 1/4 turn and stop solid. [xx(]

I also know that a '65 Commander wheel fits either Disc or Drum, so you should have no problem, unless it is a Turner Kit problem.

StudeRich
                  Matthew Burnette
                  Your Friendly Stude Trim Bender

Starlight Stainless
                  912-253-3037

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Yes Nate, there were.

StudeRich
                    Thanks Rich, I have eight rim from the Commander so I should be in good shape. Jim has insured me, if they work for stude disc brakes they will work with his kits!!! ...Shane

Comment

ahh cr@p!

I pulled some 64 wheels from a disc brake car, they are the smoother type, without the hump. I thought for sure they would fit with the Turner discs, but no Dice. Now what? I have other wheels, but getting short on the double hump types.

Time to get out the calipers and straight edges and check some of these a little closer.

Maybe off to the wheel store? I need some for Phils 60 Lark and Dicks Wagonaire.

Comment

Stockton Wheels appears to by closing as of March 31,2012. Tried to get to their web site. Could not. Got closing info of search for them. Anyone know for sure?

Comment

My '65 Cruiser did not come with disc brakes, but the wheels do fit on the Turner Brake set up on the front. I believe for '65, and I assume '66, the part number for wheels is the same for disc and non disc cars.
                          Joe Roberts
                          '61 R1 Champ
                          '65 Cruiser
                          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
                            My '65 Cruiser did not come with disc brakes, but the wheels do fit on the Turner Brake set up on the front. I believe for '65, and I assume '66, the part number for wheels is the same for disc and non disc cars.
                            Joe,
                            Are your 65 disc brake wheels the double hump style or the smooth style?
                            Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

I believe that if you find an Advance Auto close by, you can purchase a pair of quarter inch wheel spacers and use the non disk brake rims with them. That's what Jim Turner had at the York Demo and used on a 63 Lark
                              64 GT Hawk (K7)
                              1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Working...
                              X