Driver's Ed car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote: Leonard - Do you live in a photo archive museum
    Yes I have hundreds of photos and a scanner, and thousands on my hard drive.

I like posting photos, but I know it is hard on the dial up guys, so I try to save them at a low resolution so that they will load faster.

Comment

quote: Leonard - Do you live in a photo archive museum
      Yes I have hundreds of photos and a scanner, and thousands on my hard drive.

I like posting photos, but I know it is hard on the dial up guys, so I try to save them at a low resolution so that they will load faster.

Comment

Even though I took my drives education in a 1996 Sunfire, I still *technically* learned to drive in a 62 Lark, and my dad's old 54 Champion 4 dr. Not too many kids today can say they learned to drive standard with '3 on the tree'. I still get confused with the gas pedal being overdrive though lol.

~ FireHawk

- 56 PowerHawk
        - 01 Firebird TransAm WS6 Convertible

- Ontario Canada!

Comment

Even though I took my drives education in a 1996 Sunfire, I still *technically* learned to drive in a 62 Lark, and my dad's old 54 Champion 4 dr. Not too many kids today can say they learned to drive standard with '3 on the tree'. I still get confused with the gas pedal being overdrive though lol.

~ FireHawk

- 56 PowerHawk
          - 01 Firebird TransAm WS6 Convertible

- Ontario Canada!

Comment

Graeme,
            Once that overdrive becomes second nature, it's the cat's meow. Entering a freeway in second-over creates a certain smugness.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Graeme,
              Once that overdrive becomes second nature, it's the cat's meow. Entering a freeway in second-over creates a certain smugness.
              Brad Johnson,
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Loved the story..
                Reminds me of my high school driver's ed class teacher (Donald Lovelace...RIP)..
                I had drivers ed early in the morning. He used to have me drive him to 7-11 to get a cup of coffee(we got two),get a newspaper, and then drive up to Arlington Park race track to watch the horses breeze. I used to keep the radio on low, as it was an FM radio (a rarity back then...and there were only two rock&roll FM radio stations in Chicago at the time ('BBM FM)... When the Moody Blues came on I would crank it up, and he though that was great. Needless to say, I passed drivers ed with flying colors and went out and got my license. The next day I drove my Hawk to the school shop and ditched classes for three straight days (new front springs, rear leafs, rear gear, and rebuilt heads)...and never got into any trouble, as all the teachers knew where I was...
                Try that today
                Jeff[8D]

quote]Originally posted by studeclunker
                [brOur driver's ed cars were Fords. They only had a brake on the instructor's side. My instructor used to compensate by hanging a hand off the wheel. I finally broke him of the habit by pulling over (on the freeway at that) and refusing to drive any more unless he desisted with the habit. It caused the car to drift right, had to constantly correct left. Besides the annoyance and general unnerving quality of it. He used to ride the brake too. I got stopped (during class) once because of him. He explained it away to the cop and we were let go. We all gave him an intense, silent stare the whole time. That broke that habit too. Coach Holbrook was an abysmal driving teacher[/quote]

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
                Brooklet, Georgia
                '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
                '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
                '61 Hawk (project)
                http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Loved the story..
                  Reminds me of my high school driver's ed class teacher (Donald Lovelace...RIP)..
                  I had drivers ed early in the morning. He used to have me drive him to 7-11 to get a cup of coffee(we got two),get a newspaper, and then drive up to Arlington Park race track to watch the horses breeze. I used to keep the radio on low, as it was an FM radio (a rarity back then...and there were only two rock&roll FM radio stations in Chicago at the time ('BBM FM)... When the Moody Blues came on I would crank it up, and he though that was great. Needless to say, I passed drivers ed with flying colors and went out and got my license. The next day I drove my Hawk to the school shop and ditched classes for three straight days (new front springs, rear leafs, rear gear, and rebuilt heads)...and never got into any trouble, as all the teachers knew where I was...
                  Try that today
                  Jeff[8D]

quote]Originally posted by studeclunker
                  [brOur driver's ed cars were Fords. They only had a brake on the instructor's side. My instructor used to compensate by hanging a hand off the wheel. I finally broke him of the habit by pulling over (on the freeway at that) and refusing to drive any more unless he desisted with the habit. It caused the car to drift right, had to constantly correct left. Besides the annoyance and general unnerving quality of it. He used to ride the brake too. I got stopped (during class) once because of him. He explained it away to the cop and we were let go. We all gave him an intense, silent stare the whole time. That broke that habit too. Coach Holbrook was an abysmal driving teacher[/quote]

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
                  Brooklet, Georgia
                  '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
                  '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
                  '61 Hawk (project)
                  http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 60Lark
                    I am in awe of the numbers and variety of pics you have posted on the forum - Thank You for the picture parade []
                    I think I'd have to nominate Leonard for the Forum "Content of the Year" award. Thanks for the posts, the pictures, and the education, Leonard. Much appreciated.

Pictures really do help make the forum more interesting and for visual guys like me, make learning easier. I hope it's not too big of a PITA for the dial up guys.

As internet video becomes more common, I hope we get more video links to members' cars and "how to's".

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 60Lark
                      I am in awe of the numbers and variety of pics you have posted on the forum - Thank You for the picture parade []
                      I think I'd have to nominate Leonard for the Forum "Content of the Year" award. Thanks for the posts, the pictures, and the education, Leonard. Much appreciated.

Pictures really do help make the forum more interesting and for visual guys like me, make learning easier. I hope it's not too big of a PITA for the dial up guys.

As internet video becomes more common, I hope we get more video links to members' cars and "how to's".

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Didn't someone say recently on this forum that they had come across a mechanic who had no idea where reverse was with 3 on the tree? How about this. The owner of a late thirties Caddy took his car in for its licencing inspection. The young inspector, who apparently considered himself to be God's gift to all inspectors, hopped in, shoved the floor shift into what he thought was low gear, popped the clutch and almost nailed the car behind him. He failed the car because it didn't have the gear shift pattern on the knob!![8]

Terry

Comment

Didn't someone say recently on this forum that they had come across a mechanic who had no idea where reverse was with 3 on the tree? How about this. The owner of a late thirties Caddy took his car in for its licencing inspection. The young inspector, who apparently considered himself to be God's gift to all inspectors, hopped in, shoved the floor shift into what he thought was low gear, popped the clutch and almost nailed the car behind him. He failed the car because it didn't have the gear shift pattern on the knob!![8]

Terry

Comment

Yes, that first scenario was from me and unfolded before my eyes.

The nice thing about putting an antique plate on a car in Pennsylvania is they can't fail it for anything; no inspection required for antiques and you only register it once, for life. ofcourse they limit your driving for personal pleasure to one day a week. So you only need seven to sit pretty. Then again, I've driven my 51 for weeks at a time while my daily driver was in the shop and no one bothered me. And, yes, I did clear it with my insurance agent before doing so.

Brad Johnson
                            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                            33 Rockne 10
                            51 commander Starlight
                            53 Commander Starlight
                            Brad Johnson,
                            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Yes, that first scenario was from me and unfolded before my eyes.

The nice thing about putting an antique plate on a car in Pennsylvania is they can't fail it for anything; no inspection required for antiques and you only register it once, for life. ofcourse they limit your driving for personal pleasure to one day a week. So you only need seven to sit pretty. Then again, I've driven my 51 for weeks at a time while my daily driver was in the shop and no one bothered me. And, yes, I did clear it with my insurance agent before doing so.

Brad Johnson
                              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                              33 Rockne 10
                              51 commander Starlight
                              53 Commander Starlight
                              Brad Johnson,
                              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Brad

Makes you wonder what this world is coming to, doesn't it? What would he have done with a 4 speed column shift or a semi- automatic? [}] Regarding your other comment, even antique cars have to pass emissions tests every year before they can be licenced here. [xx(] I have just one question. Why?

Comment

Working...
                                X