Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 57 President progress Part 2

Hello,

I decide to make another post because the other one was pretty big. We finally fix the backfiring, we double checked all the wires hook up to the distributor and there were some cables in the wrong position, now the engine is really smooth.

Now we have another problem, is one after another but i guess thats part of restoring an old car. After I would say 30-35mph the front end starts to shake reallllllll baddddd to the point that it feels like am going to loose control and i just have to let the gas go and idle around 30-35mph, I dont think is the tires or the rims because before 30-35mph i dont feel like if a rim is bent.

Any suggestions?
    1957 Studebaker President Sedan 57H-W6 2606

Check your front end alignment first. If that is good check your shocks. Those are the two easiest and cheapest places to start. There could be other mechanical problems, but I would start with these two first.

Doug
    Venice, Florida
    1950 Champion
    9G F1

Comment

I had a tire that wouldn't balance one time. The guy at the shop finally decided to unmount the tire from the rim. When he popped the bead there was almost a gallon of water inside the tire![:0] He removed the water, the tire balanced fine, the shimmy was gone!

Sometimes you get lucky!

From deep in the Ozarks...

Fred

Comment

I noticed from your you tube film clip {backward-forward motion and braking} that you either don't have front shocks or they sure need replacing. Don't know if it is your shaking problem but I'm sure you will figure it out. Dan ----- "poop for parts"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by ozarkman

I had a tire that wouldn't balance one time. The guy at the shop finally decided to unmount the tire from the rim. When he popped the bead there was almost a gallon of water inside the tire![:0] He removed the water, the tire balanced fine, the shimmy was gone!

Sometimes you get lucky!

From deep in the Ozarks...

Fred

How do you get that much water inside a tire if it wasn't there when it was mounted in the first place?

Chip
          '63 Cruiser daily driver
          '57 Packard wagon on the road!
          Chip
          '63 Cruiser
          '57 Packard wagon
          '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
          '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Think about how this could happen. I think even a lawyer could come up with an explanation. Dan-----"Poop-n-Flush"

Comment

Now I'm hurt (lol).
              Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Hi, I had what seems to be the same problem as you,on my 58 p-Hawk. If you hit a little imperfection in the road the car would "SHAKE Violently" almost takeing the steering wheel out of your hands! It felt like the front end was going to come apart and you had to immediately bring down the csr to about 20 miles an hour,then it would go away--- Put it on lift, checked out front end components,even friend that worked in an alignment shop looked at it--- Every thing was tight&good-- He suggested that those bias ply tires could have a defect,even though they looked great!! I put radial tires on her and Shazam!! No more problems!! road like a new car&still does-- Just a thought

Comment

mmmm now is making me think if those 15" 1993 police car rims (steel) is causing that to happen. I have the croker 6.70 15 tires in those rims and we balanced them and everything and to my eyes they look ok
                  1957 Studebaker President Sedan 57H-W6 2606

Comment

Rotate the tire and wheel combinations around the horn so as to cause vibration from another corner of the car. This may lead to finding a bad apple. Dan----"Poop for Pirellis"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by warrlaw1

Now I'm hurt (lol).
                      I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend anybody. Are you a lawyer? Dan-------- "Poopin Paradox"

Comment

Yes, Dan, the cheap, honest kind. LOL But I'm workin on a Stude!
                        Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

quote:
                          How do you get that much water inside a tire if it wasn't there when it was mounted in the first place?
                          It's easy to get water in tires. If you fill up at a place that doesn't have an air drier on the air line you can get a lot of moisture. Oil too. Ask a painter how much moisture you can take out of a drier.

Doug
                          Venice, Florida
                          1950 Champion
                          9G F1

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Invalid User Name

quote:
                            It's easy to get water in tires. If you fill up at a place that doesn't have an air drier on the air line you can get a lot of moisture. Oil too. Ask a painter how much moisture you can take out of a drier.

Doug
                            Venice, Florida
                            1950 Champion
                            9G F1
                            Maybe a tiny bit, but almost a gallon?

Chip
                            '63 Cruiser daily driver
                            '57 Packard wagon on the road!
                            Chip
                            '63 Cruiser
                            '57 Packard wagon
                            '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
                            '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

I was hoping he was speaking figuratively. I do get 4 to 6 ounces a day out of my compressor down here during the summer. Probably another ounce or two when I open the drain on the tank.

Doug
                              Venice, Florida
                              1950 Champion
                              9G F1

Comment

Working...
                              X