• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another fascinating eBay sale

61 Lark convertible.

Sat at $3333 all week.
    Sale ended at 3:00 PST today.
    Couple bids all day- till one hour to go...

Then 24 bids in the last hour, between 3 bidders:

First guy- 7 bids, from $3800-4500; taps out.
    Second- Makes his bid, hold up to... almost the end.
    Third- 14 bids, from $5051 to the winning bid- $7651![:0] And the whole way in $50 increments[xx(]

Classic case of auction fever. He's a zero-feedback (read: new) eBayer; so I hope he can/will follow through. Wonder which was stronger- his desire to own the car or his susceptibility to auction fever?

http://tinyurl.com/y8mcx3j

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
    Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

quote:Originally posted by bams50

61 Lark convertible.

Sat at $3333 all week.
    Sale ended at 3:00 PST today.
    Couple bids all day- till one hour to go...

Then 24 bids in the last hour, between 3 bidders:

First guy- 7 bids, from $3800-4500; taps out.
    Second- Makes his bid, hold up to... almost the end.
    Third- 14 bids, from $5051 to the winning bid- $7651![:0] And the whole way in $50 increments[xx(]

Classic case of auction fever. He's a zero-feedback (read: new) eBayer; so I hope he can/will follow through. Wonder which was stronger- his desire to own the car or his susceptibility to auction fever?

http://tinyurl.com/y8mcx3j

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA
    My best auction for me was on a R2 Lark about 3 years ago. I listed it with a 12K reserve, and a 15K BIN. The last day, it hit reserve and the BIN went away. With a hour left it was around 18K, than 20K in the last minute, ended at 25.7K and I about had a heart attack.

JDP/Maryland
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Kevin D. was interested in this car and was planning to follow it from Disney World... wonder if he bought it, or did what I did, which was looked in and said WTF???

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

When I won the auction on my '50 Champion in July 2008 I bid only once-with 5 seconds to go in the auction....

1950 Champion 2 Dr. Sedan

1949 Studebaker 2R5 half ton pickup...

Comment

This bidding smells. There was probably shill bidding involved. The way ebay is now set up (bidders ID hidden) has opened it up for all the shills and ebay will do nothing about it. They still get thier final value fees and it's all about $$$ to them.

Comment

When I sold my 62 ragtop on Ebay, I sold it to a guy with 0 feedback. He called me and said "I think I just bought your car" I checked and told him nope" His comment was "oh s**t, I forgot my password again" 30 minutes later, he bought it, and had already deposited the 1K in my paypal. He showed up a week later and took it home.

Jim
            "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
            their Memorials!

Comment

Had the same frenzy happen when I sold my 39 coupe on Ebay. It went up over $3000 in the final 10 minutes and sold for more than I had envisioned.

That is enough to fund buying and building the 83 Avanti I have in progress.

I also gave Judy the extra money over What I expected to spend on whatever she wants. Kinda funny how much happier she is with my building the Avanti after that transaction.

I may be on to something here.

Bob

, ,

Comment

[:0]seems like a lot of money for a 6 banger!

From deep in the Ozarks...

Fred

Comment

Good grief, it is hard to get that much for a nice one, this one is trashed, <s>Tahiti Coral</s> Flamingo, a 6 Cyl., not run in 7 YEARS and in Indiana? [xx(] [:0] [:0] [:0]

StudeRich
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I collect vintage Marion Ohio postcards, which have gotten very, very expensive for the unique ones over the years.

If there is a really, really rare realphoto one, I'll go $50+ on it if I don't have it. One bidder in particular will bid dollar by dollar by dollar, until he goes over your bid. Bid it up another $25, and he'll do this again, dollar by dollar. A single postcard can end up with 30+ bids! And we all know who it is - and he's been doing this for 10 years![]

Stu K

'63 Lark Regal, "Miss Rose"

Comment

I watch this auction closely. I was amazed it stay that low, that long. I was also amazed at the final selling price. Those Lark convertibles are really gaining some respect. Did you hear that BARNLARK?

Comment

More & more the smart buyers are using sniping programs or holding their bids until the end.
                        I would guess that most early high bids are either shills or clueless novices.

Barry'd in Studes
                        Barry'd in Studes

Comment

I always wait for the last five minutes of an auction to bid. Bidding frenzys and competitions are something I can't afford. It usually works, however occasionally a snipe programme beats me out. My philosophy is that such a thing is good for the seller (the snipper usually would pay more than I) and I likely didn't need it anyway.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                          Ron Smith
                          Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                          Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                          Ron Smith
                          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

Kevin D. was interested in this car and was planning to follow it from Disney World... wonder if he bought it, or did what I did, which was looked in and said WTF???

I watched, and waited for a response from the seller,
                            When i couldn't get a reply after repeated emails for additional pictures and information......, there was just no way I was going to bid over a certain amount.

I assume no one here on the forum purchased the car [?] Would be nice to see some more pictures or a first hand account on its condition under the carpeting etc.

And yes, a little surprised at the final price, especially for a car that needed many items fixed, interior de-molded etc.
                            HECK couldn't get an answer to if the top worked.

2800-3800 tops I thought in that condition, no response, and being that I wanted one.

ChopStu

122 weeks till completion.
                            61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Crazy, it took fp 13 little bids to catch bk's high bid of 7601.00, he obviously was afraid of bidding too high for a POS, but did anyway! [:0]

StudeRich
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                              X