Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Holy Mackerel- R2 Carb sold for $1404.50!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy Mackerel- R2 Carb sold for $1404.50!

Bet this seller's pumped! And judging by what was bid and by how many bidders (8 different bidders today!), the buyer must be as well![:0]

The winner only bid once, a snipe bid with 4 seconds left; back bidder sniped with 5 seconds left! Not high enough anyway[B)]

Fascinating.

http://tinyurl.com/y98aft9

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
    Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

quote:Originally posted by bams50

Bet this seller's pumped! And judging by what was bid and by how many bidders (8 different bidders today!), the buyer must be as well![:0]

The winner only bid once, a snipe bid with 4 seconds left; back bidder sniped with 5 seconds left! Not high enough anyway[B)]

Fascinating.

http://tinyurl.com/y98aft9

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA
    I'm getting a eduction on parts values as we speak. Sal and I just tallied up the total sales of a entire parts Avanti, and the figure is simply nuts, and way more than the value of a very nice Avanti driver. Now we're watching rechromed bumpers and gauges going nuts on another parts car.

JDP/Maryland
    JDP Maryland

Comment

I guess this is proof that it pays to buy an Avanti in excellent shape rather than a project Avanti being that replacement parts would send a person to the poor house? [B)]

SnowLark
      In the middle of Minnestudea
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

This is interesting: One could make a good case for parting all but the nicest Avantis from a value standpoint; but that doesn't apply to any Big 3 muscle/sports cars I can think of. I cannot magine anyone ever parting a complete, restorable 69 Camaro or Hemi 'Cuda. Interesting...

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Milaca

I guess this is proof that it pays to buy an Avanti in excellent shape rather than a project Avanti being that replacement parts would send a person to the poor house? [B)]
          No, it means buy two decent ones and part one to finance the restoration of the other

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

This is interesting: One could make a good case for parting all but the nicest Avantis from a value standpoint; but that doesn't apply to any Big 3 muscle/sports cars I can think of. I cannot magine anyone ever parting a complete, restorable 69 Camaro or Hemi 'Cuda. Interesting...

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Sad but true, if a rough Avanti brings 10-18K in parts, I'd guess a nice one could bring a lot more, but you'd go to hell for doing it. BTW, it does not work for the other muscle cars because they are worth so much more restored and repro parts are available. If you are say 30-40K into a Avanti restoration, that $1400 carb is chump change to finish the car.
            JDP/Maryland
            JDP Maryland

Comment

True, parting out some things is the way to go, that's why I just might part out the super rust free 62 GT, what would a perfect 62 Gt trunk go for? or a perfect hood, perfect fenders, chrome and super nice grille and trunk over lay, rebuilt full flow 64 289 build to a R-1, good trans, and TT rear end not to say any thing about a rust free rolling frame and body and power steering, I could make more doing that then spending money to put it together....Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
              canbstudebakers-
              Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

I could increase the value of my '60 Hawk simply by advertising it
                with "complete Avanti front suspension". Hmmmm.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
                '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

quote:Originally posted by candbstudebakers

True, parting out some things is the way to go, that's why I just might part out the super rust free 62 GT, what would a perfect 62 Gt trunk go for? or a perfect hood, perfect fenders, chrome and super nice grille and trunk over lay, rebuilt full flow 64 289 build to a R-1, good trans, and TT rear end not to say any thing about a rust free rolling frame and body and power steering, I could make more doing that then spending money to put it together....Bob

Castro Valley, CA
                  canbstudebakers-
                  I know you are kidding, but like many owners, once you are deep in a unfinished project, there is no good solution. You can lose a lot by selling it as is, or finish it and maybe lose more, and of course parting it is just wrong. You could try ebay too, after all, the forum is a much smaller pool of potential buyers.

JDP/Maryland
                  JDP Maryland

Comment

This post got me worried. The building where I store my R-2 Avanti was broken into last week and someone got into the car. The carb is off for a rebuild and I thought that I had taken it out there to install it and it might be gone. A quick check of my garage determined it was still here. []

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.
                    Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

That the value of an Avanti, part by part, is far more than the value of the car is a phenomenen not only affecting Avantis, but also more exotic cars. A Ferrari 400/412 is so "cheap", relatively seen, that once the car has major defects; rust, engine overhaul, rear suspension shot etc, it automatically is sold off in parts as the restoration costs far outweigh the value of the car. Iso Lele is another example. Perhaps we should be content that values haven't risen so we all can enjoy good Avantis.

Comment

The other nuts thing about that R2 carb auction price is they just aren't that different from many other AFBs. A good rebuilder can make a like-new R2 carb for a lot less than $1400.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                        PackardV8

Comment

Folks, I hate to say it but JP is proving what I have suspected for a long time. It is far cheaper to buy an Avanti restored than to try and restore one. His parts sale is just proof of that. If you have a very good reason to restore and Avanti then do it but be prepared to be upside down in the car for a very longtime.
                          sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

quote:Originally posted by PackardV8

The other nuts thing about that R2 carb auction price is they just aren't that different from many other AFBs. A good rebuilder can make a like-new R2 carb for a lot less than $1400.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                            Yep, well under $500 for a clone carb that can't be told from factory on the outside.

JDP/Maryland
                            JDP Maryland

Comment

JP this car has been in my way for a long long time and never gets much done, it is not my project and should be down the list of projects to finish for a guy that is 68 years old, it is stuck away in the corner and would take a days work just to get it out to take good pictures of it I would rather some one that really want a super nice clean 62 GT get it and finish it but with price of really good parts selling it in pieces might be the fastest and collect a good going price for them, so far I found out that offering deals on the forum is a waist of time more tire kickers than anything but that is ok, that's what the forum is all about, but if some one was really interested in the car I would be more than happy to talk to them about it...Bob

Castro Valley, CA
                              canbstudebakers-
                              Candbstudebakers
                              Castro Valley,
                              California

Comment

Working...
                              X